Mohawk pack or youth canoe?

I’m looking at this Mohawk canoe locally. The seller is saying it’s a youth canoe. It looks like a regular pack canoe to me, since is has no seats. Is there any difference?

And also how would this compare to to more modern pack canoe? I don’t need anything Uber light like Kevlar etc. just something that paddles nice.

It’s fiberglass and 10’ 6” long. Here are some pics.

I found this other thread. It says in the catalog they called it a child’s canoe, so maybe that’s what the seller was talking about.

I take it from the lack of responses that this isn’t a well known, or well made canoe? Basically it’s sitting on Craigslist about 45 min away from me for 75$.
I was interested in it for a second canoe that either my wife or one of my older kids could use. Or maybe even I could fit in it (I’m 6’ and 185 lbs).

For $75 I’d take it. Make a decent canoe for company if nothing else

Yeah it’s tempting to buy it just because it’s cheap. I don’t want to end up a boat hoarder though. I already have 2 sailboats, 2 canoes, and 3 kayaks.

I like that it’s lighter and more portable than my bigger canoes…

I guess my main question is, is this canoe usable for someone bigger than a child?

I’ve never seen one of these before. Definitely in the realm of a Pack Canoe. It looks like Mohawk’s take on a Wee Lassie. Absolutely usable for an adult, but keep in mind that boats like these are usually paddled with a kayak paddle from a low seat or pad on the floor.

I’d never seen one of these before, and now here’s another one for sale (doesn’t look like the same one). This one is in TX.

Did you end up buying it? We just stumbled into one that looks almost exactly like it. Can’t find any info about it, but would love to know more. My son took it for a float test yesterday and loved it.

Hi
I didn’t end up getting it. Something came up and I was too late in responding back to him. He sold it to someone else. I’m still looking for a small canoe like that.

I did buy another 16’ canoe a few weeks ago that I haven’t even paddled yet! Maybe this weekend.

Hope you guys enjoy the new canoe. Sorry I don’t have any more info.

We have one of these that my son used to use quite a bit when he was smaller. I’ve done some short trips in it as well if I want something fast, light and easy to load.

It’s definitely worth having one if you can pick it up for a good price, however I will say that for an adult it takes quite a bit of grace and careful planning to keep it upright. My son now that he’s gotten bigger has also gotten real close to tipping it a few times, and now has opted for a kayak or one of the bigger canoes. I’ve thought about picking up another to make canoe jousting tournaments in the lake more exciting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ours was free and in excellent condition, so it was pretty hard to turn down. I was hoping to find a weight capacity for it. My husband is of very slight build and we got it to knock around at our camp which sits beside a very small and quiet lake (technically a pond), so I think he’ll be OK with it until something better comes along.

1 Like

I’m right around 160 pounds, and I’m “okay” in it as long as I remember what it is I’m paddling. He will definitely want to sit as close to the bottom of the floor as possible. A chair cushion or throwable PFD is fine, just don’t want to get much higher than that. A kayak paddle does help with stability. Enjoy!

Thanks. My son is about 180 and did fine (if a bit low in the water) sitting in the bottom for a brief test paddle. He said the traditional canoe paddle was a bit awkward and thought a shorter one might do better, but I’m sure we’ve got a kayak paddle, too, so will try that. My husband is pretty skinny (135 lbs.) so I think he’ll be fine in this boat.
Happy Paddling!

1 Like