Mohawk Solo 13 vs OT Pack

Dont overthink it.
Go with your gut.

Boats do not have to be forever. As its already majorly depreciated your cost per outing will be low. And you will get a signifacant return if you do sell it.

Think of it as rental…twenty outings at fifty dollars a head and you are even.

You’re cracking me up

– Last Updated: Nov-12-10 1:40 PM EST –

This has to be the first time in the history of the world that someone lifted their dog over their head as a way of deciding how easy it would be to lift a boat. A good artist could make a wonderful cartoon image of that, and I can just imagine the expression on the face of the dog!

By the way, I think getting a composite Sandpiper is a really nice choice. You can't go wrong. It will work pretty well for you, and if or when you find something even better you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

The dog wasn’t happy
I made sure to lift him in front of the bed so if he struggled and fell, he wouldn’t be hurt. Luckily he put his ears flat against his head and stayed perfectly still, with just a sad look in his eyes to show his displeasure. Haha.

I was thinking …
I was thinking that if you could lift a squirming unhappy 25 pound dog over your head, then a canoe would be no problem :slight_smile:

Yes mam, that overhead dog liftin’…

– Last Updated: Nov-12-10 4:35 PM EST –

...business can be downright deadly!

Couple years back I tried the same thing myself with my current canine associate, Moby Stick (The Lil' Black Snail!). Not sure why. Perhaps it was a moment of my frustration with one of his usual blindside approaches of affection-into-accident of the groin-shot kind. But I went positively King Kong on him, though he not bein' a Fay Wray, but more of a brunette siren, the siren bein' for his penchant to out bark fire alarms. Anyways, I was sendin' him aloft!

Now, I'd forgotten all about the recent addition to our living room, as it was my wife's handiwork, but that Hunter ceiling fan certainly took notice to Moby's sudden uprising and interuption within it's appointed rounds!

You might be thinking this spelled disaster for the lil snail's cranial integrity (those suspicions had already arisen two years earlier, within a week of his acquisition), but he's a tuff little cuss, and that initial whack resounding against his dense noggin' probably served only as his awakening to whirling quadractic options in aerial fetch.

So aghast was I from the terrible harm I initially assumed was caused to the little fella that I let go in shock. But gravity was not yet allowed to intercede with the hoisted outcome of my apish behavior. Moby had employed both his jumbled-genetic predisposition of jaw strength along with his rabid-mutant-beaver derivative of addiction to deciduous assemblages into what might be described as a tooth-tightened, phantasmagorical Tilt-O-Whirl Pit Bull Ride of the Wallendas.

I left him there for about a minute-or-two, purely for the amusement of it all. I did have to order a new blade for the Hunter, although its motor seemed to come through the dizzying experience no worse the wear of wolf.

Often I thought about copyright'n the whole ordeal as a training regimen for those that portage Old Town Discovey canoes through lowhanging forest trails during periods of high winds. But then, as the tornado arose, I didn't hold onto the dog. Would you?

Anyway, I think you'll be quite happy with that lightweight Sandpiper. Now, if you need a heavier canine than that present 25-pounder you've got for future portage practice sessions, I know of a 60-pounder I've often thought of shippin' south.

TW

Sandpiper = a fun paddle
You’ll have a blast in it…

$.01

Well
At least you didn’t test paddle the dog. He probably would have liked that even less than being lifted :slight_smile:

Bought the Sandpiper

– Last Updated: Nov-13-10 6:05 PM EST –

Okay guys,

I liked the looks of the Sandpiper so I bought it. I was able to talk down $50 off the price. It came with a Bending Branches paddle and zip-up cover. The boat looks to be in really good shape other than numerous superficial scuffs to the hull and moderate mildew damage here and there on the gunwales.

I need to spend some time on the gunwales. Should dilute bleach do the trick for removing the mildew? I've got some teak oil for finishing, and 303 aerospace spray for the outer hull.

The boat is indeed lightweight, but still a little awkward to carry long distances because there's no yoke installed. I can carry it on my shoulder, but might get a cart anyway to avoid the awkwardness. :-)

I think the earliest I can take her out is next Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it!

P.S. I think I'm stressing a little too much about boat storage. It'll be outside on two sawhorses. Do I need padding? It'll be partly under the porch overhang without any direct sunlight. Do I still need to suspend a tarp over it? Help!

Congrates

– Last Updated: Nov-17-10 11:59 AM EST –

And welcome to the League of Women Boaters!

There are several portage option, one being the Grade VI Portage Strap available from BagLady ~ $50. It is a shaped and padded device that straps around the hull
and weighs ~ 12 oz.

More substantial clamp on wooden yokes with shoulder pads are available too. I think the Chosen Valley pads are the best available. The Wenonah yoke w/ CV pads will probably work better than most, as will the CVCA unit that cantilevers off the seat. Check out www.gear4portaging.com

For Typical Portage Distances

– Last Updated: Nov-13-10 8:56 PM EST –

A carry yoke of some type is practically essential for long-distance carries, but for typical distances - from your car to the water and back - using the front edge of the seat as a carry yoke usually works just fine. I do this with all my boats, and for some it's not all that comfortable, but with one as light as yours, it shouldn't be too bad at all. You can even temporarily tie some split pipe insulation to the edge of the seat. My lightest canoe is 31 pounds, and even that one I NEVER carry hung on one shoulder. It hurts to do it that way. Just like my other boats, I put the seat edge across my shoulders behind my neck and carry it that way.

Glad to hear you "landed" such a nice boat. Hope it does the job nicely.

Congratulations
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Congratulations on your new canoe
Natalie, I also have a 25 pound solo canoe (Vermont Tupper) and I’m a little smaller and probably a lot older than you. From what you said in your first post about the kind of paddling you plan to do, that is also similar to what I do.

You mention you have bad knees, and so do I. My advice? Get a cart. Of course I can and do carry my canoe 30 or 40 ft from the car to the water, then go back and get my gear. But if I have to carry it a pretty long way (you’re in central Florida, so think about the launches at Juniper Creek, Wekiwa Springs State Park Ichetucknee)) it is nice to be able to put all my stuff in the canoe and only make one trip. The cart weighs 8 pounds and goes in the back of the canoe. When I get back, I can make one trip to the car.

I have the Paddleboy Nemo cart. I use one strap, snug but not tight around the gunwales just aft of the seat, with the end tied around the front thwart to keep the canoe from slipping if it goes over a bump.

Notwithstanding snide remarks you may get from former weight lifters about a 25 pound canoe on a cart, I think you would enjoy the flexibility it will give you in portaging as well as sparing your bad knees.

We probably paddle some of the same places, so if I see a petite gal with a big smile in a Sandpiper, I’ll say hey.

Thanks
Sissy, that’s just the information I needed to hear. I fretted a little last night about the fact that I’d just bought a 25 lb canoe and still wanted a cart for it! But your response makes so much sense-- I can throw everything in the canoe and make just one trip to the water and back. That makes particular sense if I take one of my small dogs with me. I can have him on a leash with one hand and lead the boat with the other. So I’ll start looking for a cart now. :slight_smile:

The best part about this boat? I was able to get it off my car pretty smoothly yesterday. I think that’s where the weight will really come in handy. I looked up the paddle-- it’s a 52" Bending Branches BB Special. It might be too long but it’s a nice one to start out with on my first trip out.

I’ll look for a Vermont Tupper out on the water-- maybe I’ll see you! :slight_smile:

This thread brings a smile to my face.
You’re gonna love it, Natalie!

from a Sandpiper owner…
I love my Sandpiper. Mine is the royalex version. I’m 5’2" and weigh a lot more than you.

I have absolutely no trouble loading/unloading the boat on the vehicle–and I have a minivan. I do not use a cart and don’t feel the need for one. I carry it over my head, not on my shoulder. The funny thing about lifting a boat is that it isn’t all about the weight. Because the Sandpiper is short, it is easier for me to load on the vehicle than it is for me to load my husband’s kevlar Wenonah voyager, which is much lighter, but also much longer. The short boat is easier to load. I do not need any assistance managing this boat.

I have used this boat really, really hard. I am not a kneeler, and the seat placement was just fine for me. I did lower the seat by reversing the seat hangers. Or something like that…it’s been a long time and I don’t remember exactly what I did.

I bought this boat without even a trial paddle. A lot of people might think it isn’t the perfect boat, that it’s too wide, or the rocker isn’t right, or that it isn’t sporty enough, but it has been perfect for me.

I have paddled lakes, fast and slow rivers, and even took a whitewater class in it. I have used it for day trips on muddy creeks where I had to get out and drag over logs every few hundred yards, and I have loaded enough gear for a week’s trip on the Buffalo River. It is light enough that I have been able to manage it on steep muddy put-ins and long carries. It has taken me on solo trips and group outings. It has served me best on the rocky rivers in Missouri, but it is just as good at home on my slower Texas rivers and creeks.

I really like this boat. It is full of memories of people and places and good times. It has almost as many miles on it as my vehicle does…well,it does if you count the road mileage! :slight_smile:

Enjoy your sandpiper. Enjoy the wood gunwales. They will make a prettier boat than my aluminum ones.

As for the price…I think it is reasonable for what you are getting, but it isn’t a steal. The seller knew what he had and what it was worth. It is a fair price for a kevlar boat in excellent condition. I would be happy with the boat.

Enjoy your Sandpiper.

Jill

You’re welcome
I’ve gotten used to carrying mine on my shoulder so I have a free hand for the railing when I carry it up and down stairs. Like you, I had planned to keep it outside, but that didn’t last long.

Getting it on and off the car is a snap; that’s when the light weight really helps. Just be very careful if you’re loading by yourself in high wind, because it will try to kite away.

If you ever need repairs, I know someone in Brooksville who keeps a fleet of composite canoes in pristine condition and he knows how to fix anything.

Congratulations!!!
Now get out there and enjoy the beautiful streams you are so fortunate to live close to. When I get back down that way maybe we can paddle together.

Choosing a Canoe
HI:

I’m 5’1, 115 lbs, and LOVE my Mowhawk 13 Solo (teal blue).

I have no problem lifting it on top of my van for transporting. It is great on the shallow twisting streams here in the FL Panhandle. And is beautifully responsive to a twist of the paddle.

Had additional struts put in mine for attaching my lunch box and dry bag.

I got mine used - great price - very good condition, and will be great for as many years as I am going to use it.

Happy Paddling. CV

Carts
While it would be pretty embarrassing to be found out using a cart w/ a 25 lb hull, the nicest I’ve found is the CastleCraft CC-16. Folding Alu so ~ lightweight and stowable, and the 16 " wheels walk over most anything.

The KC-11 has 12" wheels so stows even better.

Just please, don’t ask how I know this.

if the price of that folder
puts it out of your budget conseider the Cabelas Canoe and Kayak carrier. Its on sale for less than half of the Castle Craft. It does not fold which may be an issue or not.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Canoes-Kayaks-Small-Boats/Storage-Transportation%7C/pc/104794380/c/104710680/sc/104608080/Cabelas-CanoeKayak-Carrier/734560.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-canoes-kayaks-small-boats-storage-transportation%2F_%2FN-1100579%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104608080

I have used it to tote canoes down the street to our launch dock. Including a 23 lb boat. By the time I add stuff to hang out all day on the water, using the carrier makes sense. One trip.