Moral dilemma

Moral? Legal? Dilemma?
Not to me.

Even assuming I have any moral or legal duties in this situation, I would consider them fully performed if I fully disclose and inform the buyer of the risks, which then shift to the buyer.

IN A SIMILAR VEIN
you have to live with yourself. There are people who wouldn’t care if he killed a family because of that. They’d say, “so what!”

But other people have a soul.

On a related matter, I was selling my Rush to pay for some event…

Some guy and wife came to buy it. He said he had a 16’ and wanted something for his wife so they could go camping.

I refused!

He’d always leave her behind and both would be angry.

He’d have to carry all the gear and resent her…

I told him to buy her a 15-16’ boat and sent him away.

NO!
Not at all. A value of protecting the welfare of others ESPECIALLY applies in situations where doing so is uncomfortable or difficult or requires personal sacrifice (like foregoing a sale).

Of course I didn’t want to offend the buyer and I did want to make a sale. But my greater concern by far was all the innocent people on the highway. Same category as not letting someone drive drunk.

The dilemma for me was between a) minding my own business and b) protecting other people. I decided b was more important. If it were your child who was injured or killed by a flying kayak you would ask me, “What didn’t you stop him?” “I didn’t want to get involved” or “I didn’t want him to be mad at me” are poor answers.

I should have been able to answer my own question because back in the 70s in a sociology class I learned about bystander behavior when that woman was killed on the streets of New York and no one called the police. I’ve always prided myself on being someone who speaks up to protect others.

It really disturbed me that this person was adamant that his method was fine, but he gave no thought at all to other people on the road.

You are absolutely correct about the power we have within our own small personal circle. That’s how the world changes, in part. One circle at a time.

The problem solved itself. I sold the kayak to someone who contacted me previously and will deliver it myself!

Really, in the end, not so much of
a dilemma for you, eh? You did what felt right for you at the time. If only more would give it a second thought and listen to that little voice or provide a little voice to those denied theirs.

No, we can’t cure stupidity or save the world. But, done properly, we can alleviate the symptoms sometimes. If we don’t try and help, who will?

proud of you …
… and sorry you had to be in the situation , it’s not easy sometimes .

Anyway , I pretty much knew you had already answered your own question , I was just trying to help you reinforce your values and support you in them .

You are totally full of it
There is no way JackL was trying to buy your kayak!

Is that how he will always carry it?
If so, I’d be inclined not to sell to him.

OTOH, he’d probably just buy from someone else and still carry it insecurely.

If he were just doing it to get the boat home one time, I’d give him a rope to add to the mix.

In addition to the possibility of the boat flying off, the blanket could fly off and cover someone’s windshield so that driver could not see. Geez.

The guy must be a royal cheapskate not to use foam blocks! Sorry, but that had to be said. A blanket is more slippery.

im not sure
this situation calls into question your morality.

seems a little much.

Ryan L.

You did the right thing
and now you won’t be sorry…'nuf said.

I would have sold it
And never looked back. First off, I wouldn’t even have told them how to tie it off. If it flies off, then it was your bad instruction that caused it. I would have either ( sold it to them, their problem getting it home.

(offered to deliver it.

My first kayak was a 14.5 footer I bungee strapped to the roof of my Dodge Neon and drove 70 miles home (carefully) with.

My second was an 18 footer I didn’t even tie down on the way home. I just drove 10 mph all the way back. Not smart, but it worked.

Some of you probably shouldn’t …
… go into the Christmas tree farm business.

do the right thing
I agree with not letting the person leave you with an unsecured load. Tell him/her that you are so concerned that you will deliver the kayak to their residence on your dime. Helping one another is part of this sport

Now you tell me !
Where were you thirty years ago ?

Jack L

Great line!

POTD
excellent