More fun with a K1

You know, I never really noticed before I got an ICF boat that a large goose makes a wake…

af

Also…
I wrote about it a couple of years ago.

I rode the wake of a zillion salmon up in Sitka when I spooked them.

Cheers,

JackL

practice practice practice
hehe, just today I was wondering how you were doing on the new boat.

Next time you take it out, you gotta try Barton’s stability/rotation practice…paddle the boat sideways, and make sure to use both blades of the paddle, not just the stroke side…

I think I’m getting an ICF soon so I’ve been doing that drill in my Mako. Barton makes it look easy on his video.

i’m doing ok, actually
this was only my second time out (spent the last 10 days down at the coast, doing a lot of ski paddling, and cracking my ski, which is another story). did about 8 miles in the k1, no huli’s. just ordered a skirt for it from kayakpro- it seems to take in a lot of water from the blades, what with the big cockpit. what boat are you getting?

it looks like the adirondack thing may not work out, so i am thinking very seriously about the phatwater challenge. you want to carpool?

af

phatwater
I don’t know which boat I’m gonna get yet. I need to get down to Lanier and try some out, see what fits me.

I hadn’t thought about the Phatwater Challenge before, but it looks pretty interesting and definitely a good challenge for my skills or lack thereof…I’d have to increase my mileage big time. The main thing is to make sure I could sit in the Mako for 5 hours without pain…so far, I can go for a couple hours and feel fine.

Bartons drill
Can you give more detail on this drill and which video it is on. Thanks Greg

the drill
it’s on ‘the Kayak Forward Stroke’ DVD. Greg and Oscar talk about whether to get a more stable kayak or go with the fastest available. They mention 2 drills in this section to help with stability (there are many, many others out there).

The first has Greg ‘air paddling’…that is sitting still in the boat and go through your stroke without the paddle.

the other is how I described and would improve your stability and certainly your rotation, because it forces you to really rotate for the cross body stroke. Just sit in your boat, reach out to the right with standard grip and pull towards the boat. Then stroke again on the right. but reach your left hand across your body so that it’s the ‘low hand’ on the stroke.