More pre-purchase advice

First, I appreciate everyone’s feedback from my prior post. Looks like that mr Kevlar is long gone. Like I said n my earlier post, I’m about to purhase a canoe for family use. (myself, wife, kids 13, 12 and 8). Although, only on rare occasions for a flat water stroll would we all be n it. Primarily me and a couple of them. General recreation, fishing, float trips. I’m guessing 80% lake, 20 river up to class II. Thanks to a suggestion on here, I’m leaning towards a old town 169 expedition. It’s priced right, $699 and I understand it is more versitile than the guide model, which gets complaints for being a pig to steer. Anyway, I appreciate any input.

Certainly is a good price, but I wish
you could hold out for a Royalex boat. Or a good affordable composite like Wenonah Tufweave. My reservations about the poly construction of the Discovery series are: weight and a tendency to become hogged in the center area. And weight. And don’t forget weight.

Yup
What G2 said.

Poly is heavy, non-repairable (well, it can be repaired, but it is very tricky, and expensive, and typically not worth it), and has a limited life-span.

$700 for a big stable canoe is a fine price. If you can handle the weight (it may not be as published, so try it in the store or bring a scale as they are known to be inconsistent), and are willing to look at it as an expense amortized over 10 years it is a good buy.

A Royalex boat can be repaired, is lighter, and is a bit less likely to crack (though a bit less abrasion resistant too). It will likely last you 15-30 years, so it may be a better value.

Summary - Poly is cheap, good, and disposable while Royalex is less cheap, a bit better, and more lasting.

Kevlar/fiberglass, is more expensive, less durable, but can last a really long time and is lighter to boot.

Incidentally - the poly boats from canoe companies have good shapes, with only the material limitations listed above. I think they are fine value and good beginner boats or boats for those who don’t portage/are really strong. Avoid Coleman’s or the ilk because they just are not well designed as canoes at all.