In my continuing quest to have the most modified Q700 on Earth, I spent the afternoon tweaking the outfitting a little more.
- I moved the back band straps from the holes for the original seat to a better spot lower and mid seat hanger, and attached the straps so they were outside instead of inside the seat posts (and on me). It worked well enough in the stock holes that I left it for a year - but it had little room for adjustment as it was near the end of the ratchets. Straps are in-line with the band now and it feels even more solid and comfortable as I’m no longer sitting in a sling.
- With straps now outside the seat posts the way was clear to put in hip pads. Small shaped minicell pads - with Velco on the back. Gives me about 1" up/down and 2" fore/aft adjustment to play with - and removable if they interfere with rotation (but don’t feel like they will as I’m not really on them until I tilt a little).
- I added a little more foam to the thigh braces too. Only added small pads about 5/8 thick - but big difference in grip (at least while sitting in it in the yard). I didn’t want too much pad size/thickness as this is more of a distance boat than a roller - so I don’t really want big WW style hooks - or a flatter leg position masik setup.
Finally pulled the Velcro from the old seat off the seat pan too.
Minor stuff, but feel a big difference in comfort (which was already good) and control. Got too late for wet test today.
Running out of stuff to do! About all that’s left is maybe moving the seat. Up and forward a bit might make a lay-back a bit more realistic. Have to see how the latest tweaks work out first - not really eager to tackle the seat just yet (if it ain’t broke…)
Full list so far (in order done):
Added forward bungee, and beads to fore and aft bungees (for GP)
Added GPS mount
Replaced seat with IR back band
Added North Water under deck bag
Replaced foot pegs with full cockpit minicell (also filled cockpit space - and cut to accept end of pump)
Replaced skeg control and cabling using SealLine trim tab kit
Added more knee padding
Added hip pads
Sealed hatch cover edges and around compass (let water into covers - not hatches - minor annoyance only)
I also have LED running light setup - but those aren’t really a modification or outfitting as they just go on under the bungees
Pictures of most of this stuff on webshots: