Most hazardous Coastline

Its just an opinion, but I was curious as to some of the more difficult routes that some of the sea paddlers have taken, they can be as small as a day trip or even an extended trip…I understand that most people will have different ideas of what makes a route or trip difficult…I am interested in hearing from all corners…thanks

anything without an out
Cliffs are a problem like in eastern Maine where any small beach at low tide will be no beach at high tide.

Some spots in Lake Superior have similar topography.

Lake Superior Cliffs
I second Lake Superior. Any shoreline with extended sections of cliffs can be daunting in weather and (reflection) waves, but the very cold water temps add to the “dangerous” nature of Superior. At least you don’t have to worry about encountering very large predatory fish.

oregon?
oregon coast is rough and windy. may be why i see few paddlers or read very little about it except for the rivers and bays. or is it just undiscovered territory?

Caple Sable
Ok, not quite as treacherous as New England, but heading east against that wind and the tide rolling into the Gulf of Mexico can be tough. Especially with very little shore that isnt covered by mangroves, that hot sun blazing down and those pesky little no-see-ums. Oh, and if you get caught in the wrong spot at low tide, you could be walking through knee deep sand for miles.

Well Mate,
The western coast of Austrailia beats 'em all hands down.

Jim

not that I’ve ever been there

I got the impression that the shoreline

– Last Updated: Jan-21-05 7:31 PM EST –

of Saguenay Fjord was kind of daunting when we paddled there a couple of years ago. Looking up at 1000 foot cliffs and knowing the waters are unbelievably deep gave me kind of a creepy feeling when the map says several more miles to go before there is a stretch of land flat enough to set foot on. I also found some sections of Lake Powell to be kind of unforgiving in the afternoon winds. Those are the two most hazardous places I have been to.

Sea of Cortez
The Sea of Cortez has a combination of cliffs, currents and wind, El Norte, that make the Northern half especially challenging at times.

North Shore of Isle Royale
North Shore of Isle Royale between Huginnin Cove and Little Tod Harbor.

If the winds are out of the NW,N,NE there aren’t many places to take out if any.

N Zealand coast
just ask Chris Duff.

maybe not the most difficult route
but you gotta have in the list a coastline that includes:

-Sharks

-Gators

-Crocs

-Several varieties of poisonous snakes

-Bears

-Panthers

…Everglades.

Certainly some interesting
routes listed. Thanks for all the replies. Given I am sitting in Newfoundland, we have no SNAKES, NO gators, sharks are HIGHLY unlikely, at least the species that can prove to be fatal to a human. Here we deal with Humpback whale feeding frenzies, dolphins, minke whales, orca’s, fin whales. The actual coastline can be highly involving of your concentration (as many places that we have all paddled can be) with high cliffs stretching out of the sea, katabatic winds, no landing zones, and headlands that reach into the north atlantic, in an attempt to reach our friends in the UK. During april, may and early june, we got some huge swells, large enough to pick up 24foot aluminum speed boats and deposit them on the other side of the wharf they were tied. In september and october, we again get the large swells (so does the whole atlantic coast), crashing all around the island.

Not to mention ground swells, which cause havoc in the direct vicinity of the coastline, with breaking waves reaching high up the cliffs and causing a great fun mess…

As you can see, I love paddling here in Newfoundland…

Thanks again for all the replies.

Jim Kelly

Since becoming
a user here on P.Net, I have started to make a list of states I would like to visit for the sole reason of paddling, here it is for anyone who is interested.

1. Alaska ( paddled here before)
  2. Oregon
  3. Maine
  4. Carolina’s

So far these are the main ones that tickle my fancy…