motor boats and kayakers

He, he !
I wish I could break the “No Wake” zone rule.

I would be a happy kayaker!

Cheers,

JackL

Consequences of violations differ
It’s been implied by others, but so far nobody has stated the most important point of all:

If a motorized vessel breaks a law, the consequences of that violation are likely to be far worse than a paddler breaking the same law. A drunken jetskier or powerboater who crashes into someone is not the equivalent of a drunken paddler crashing into someone. (Not that I condone any drinking and driving.)

Watch your @ss out there but don’t be paranoid.

thanks !!
I couldn’t read all 66 posts, since so many replied, but I appreciate the help. My kayak is valuable, so will other boaters respect my boat and gear ?? Thanks for the help everyone !!

Yes, some will respect you, no, not all
will. Watersports are just like life, a certain per centage of those engaged in it will be jerks. Just be carful and you’ll do ok.

L

– Last Updated: May-04-06 7:40 AM EST –

Most will think of your yack as a TOY. and so what. I think of that 20,000 Bass boat as a TOY. As for respect, *L* Show up dressed in NEON Dry suit and looking like a DEVO reject and see how much respect you command. However show up dressed like a DNR agent and things usually go much better!! *L* "respect is Great, Fear is better!!"

I understand where you’re coming from
You’re a regular on the lake and are committing a fair amount of energy to going in a straight line and these other boats aren’t as similarly dedicated and they force you into course corrections.

It’s an issue of territoriality and mixed use that doesn’t change the rules of right of way.

When I raced bicycles and trained on the roadway we’d come into conflicts with cars,sometimes they’re rude and don’t consider that their communicating with the vehicle puts us at mortal risk,and sometimes the athletes committed to a daily regiment forget that the roads aren’t designed for their athletic endeavours.

NO, they won’t all respect it
Don’t leave your kayak unattended on the beach. You might return, as my husband did, to find a kid sitting on the edge of the cockpit, jumping around inside, trying to drag it into the water. Meanwhile, the non-English-speaking parents stood right there watching, didn’t even gesture or utter one word to the kid about respecting other people’s property. I said to the idiotic father, “You wouldn’t like it if we jumped up and down on your truck.”

I guess some immigrants don’t “respect” the notion of When In Rome, Do As the Romans Do. But that’s a topic for another bulletin board.

my kayak…

– Last Updated: May-04-06 5:25 PM EST –

is never unattended. It is a valueable boat. But we live on a private lake so no one really goes there much. I was planing to go kayaking this weekend but there's one huge cumulus cloud over fort collins right now.

Take advantage
of the upcoming rain there in FT Collins… you don’t get enough of it and it may raise the resevoir levels an inch or so…

S

The idiocy is magnified…
by the horsepower involved. In agreement w/ above, I have seen moronic behaviors by both paddlers and powerboaters. In the latter case, however, the results of such behaviors are much more spectacular. Something I probably learned in General Physics 20 years ago, but cannot articulate now. Rather analagous to comparing bicycle and motorcycle crashes.

To the responsible powerboaters, the overwhelming majority, actually, who participate in Power Squadrons, teach boat safety, etc. - I salute you as my brothers and sisters!

I did not read all the posts but I did
not see anyone mention that the vessel being overtaken must maitain speed and heading. I love seeing sail boats tacking up a narrow channel and turn right in front of me. As for wakes, most power boats make smaller wakes going fast than they do when slowing down for me. Myself and my wife love the wakes from boats, something to play in.

Horsepower? Horsehockey!
That’s just going back to the old motor = bad / paddle = good BS.

You must paddle with a lot of small boaters with big egos. Serious horsepower is typically professionally operated.

Don’t let the name of that big lake up there become your attitude toward other boaters. Someday you’ll need one of them…

Wakes!
I raced on the Yellowstone near Billings, last week and the safety boat waked me a couple of times. It wasn’t that bad in my kayak, but it couldn’t have been all that great for those in racing canoes. Most boaters have been pretty good in my 20+ yrs, but jetskis are a different story. Good luck & avoid drunken boaters.

What’s worse?
A drunken boater, or a stupid, self absorbed kayaker?

Short term or long? L

– Last Updated: May-08-06 1:29 AM EST –

Drunk wears off. The self righteous and self absorbed thng lingers, and even spreads, bringing the rest of us down with them as they make a bad name for paddlers among our fellow boaters.

Today I watched a genius in a pretty big cabin crusier/yacht meandering around a narrow stretch of the river - on the wrong side in a place where there is pretty steady traffic. Another boat coming downriver barely had room to clear between him and the seawall/docks. I was well away form this - but I can't help wondering if the boater trying to proceed normally didn't assume the idiot in his way was over there to avoid me. There was enough room between me (off to the side going the right way) and the drifting/twisting guy for 3 of the other boats to pass side by side between us - but I know how they think - and work to change that by not creating any problems.

I try to get out as early as possible
What I’ve found here in WNY is the powerboat folks are late risers…

If I’m out by 7a.m. I’m ensured of 3 hours of great paddling with few powerboats or waterlice.

Weekdays are far less hostile than weekends…for obvious reasons.

Realize the operator of a powerboat can’t see you as well as you can see him…I don’t care what color your boat and pfd are.

I second that!
While teaching groups of rec boaters I emphasize not blocking the main channel , this is not alwasy as sucessfull as one would like. Generally speaking the ones with motors are pretty good on the water. I teach people to paddle defensivly and not assume someone else see’s them.On the whole the people on rentals are more frightening becasue they do not know their craft and have no exp to support them. Usually I find the powerboaters and jet skis frindly and curteous. I make it point to share the water in an ammicable manner. . The ramp is a whole nother story. I have had people try to back their trailer’s down literally over the top of me as I assist my group out of the water, on to the ramp. It does not happen often but it does happen. Yes we do use the ramp as sparingly as possible and clear it as quickly as we can… It is just one of thoose things to look out for…kim