Moving a tree?

or cut it and how? My new paddle place has a tree about 3" underwater as soon as you put in, there is no easy or even practical way around it and it puts you in a bad mood as soon as you start out. My question is, should I try to cut it off underwater or take a come-along and try and swing the entire tree out of the way. The water depth is about chest high and has a deep mud, muck bottom so getting leverage to work a saw would be hard in the canoe leaning over or trying to stand in the creek. I do think it would be possible to pull it from an angle, flush with the bank. I assume a come along would move a decent sized tree?

It is not that big of a deal cause you can run the bow up over it then walk to the front and paddle yourself off, but it is a pain. When the level drops it will be a fun thing to get over.

I forsee much mayhem. Maybe I will make my 14 year old boy do it while I supervise?

Can you build a little platform or dock
over the tree so that it becomes in asset rather than a liability?

I have been cutting trees in the river

– Last Updated: Aug-28-08 4:00 PM EST –

all year with a chainsaw. I don't use a rope, chain or cable with a come-along although at times it would helpful. I have found that water logged trees are extremely difficult to cut with a hand saw. On the other hand they are extremely dangerous to cut with a chainsaw.

Each tree is an individual call. How big is whatever you need to move? Is it the trunk or a branch you need to move?

Without seeing it I can't answer your question. Try different ways and be careful. You will be working against the weight of the tree and possibly water. movemnt.

Tomorrow I'll find out how many trees went into the Etowah River from the recent thunderstorms.

Paddlin' on
Richard

What is the diameter, and is it still
attached to the root ball ?

I moved a 24" poplar that was about 70 feet long with a come-along, but it was cut off from the root ball.

Playing around with a chain saw in chest deep water with a muddy bottom can be pretty dangerous.

Cheers,

JackL

smallish
It is small in the grand scheme of trees, no more than 8" or so at the base. No root ball, but a good bit is laying on dry ground.

Yeah, the idea of chainsawing in the water doesnt sound too fun.

come-alongs

– Last Updated: Aug-28-08 7:41 PM EST –

or chain falls should work ok. If the base of the tree isn't attached to the ground wrap a cable around it and hook a pulling thingey around a nearby strong tree and crank away. Just make sure that if the strain gets too much you can protect yourself from flying cable/chain if the thing lets go.
A tree with an 8" butt shouldn't take a lot of time to move if it's not anchored into something under the water.
Around here we just leave it 'til the ice takes it out in the spring, but you may not have that option.
good luck

??? what about this
If a lot of the tree is on dry land then why not cut it off a the water line then the rest of the tree should be much easier. I would cut up the branches in short 16-18" pieces as they come up out of the water making it easier as it goes.

It shouldn’t be too hard but I’m not looking at the tree.

The trees I’ve been removing are 24-37" in diameter.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

“pulling thingie” is actually
a “snatch block” which is a real handy item when you want to pull the tree in a different direction from where your come-along is attached.

I use mine all the time when I want to fell a tree in the opposite direction from where I am standing using my come-along.

cheers,

JackL