Moving Bulkheads?

-- Last Updated: Aug-03-06 8:05 PM EST --

If one is going to move a bulkhead in a composite boat what steps should they follow?

I've a rough idea and that it could be cut out as close to the hull as possible with a high speed grinding/router bit on a Dremmel Motor tool, but even that may not be the best way to go about it.

However it is cut out, what does one do with the jagged edges that are still attached to the hull? What tricks are there to remove them without damaging or compromising the interior of the hull?

Does one use the cutout bulkhead piece by propping it into the new space then glassing it in place there? Glass both sides of it? Or is a whole new bulkhead piece need to be manufactured? If so what tricks are neede to do that?

Not in my immediate plans, but still would like to know for future reference.

It’s not difficult

– Last Updated: Aug-04-06 7:23 AM EST –

"I've a rough idea and that it could be cut out as close to the hull as possible with a high speed grinding/router bit on a Dremmel Motor tool, but even that may not be the best way to go about it."

A bulkhead can be cut out with nothing more than a hacksaw blade with one end wrapped in tape to protect your hand. Set it up to cut on the pull stroke and cut as close to the deck and hull surfaces as possible. Be careful that you don't gouge the hull with the end of the blade.

OTOH, the best tool I've found for this work is a Fein Multimaster with a carbide blade.

"However it is cut out, what does one do with the jagged edges that are still attached to the hull? What tricks are there to remove them without damaging or compromising the interior of the hull?"

They can be filed down by hand with a rasp or taken down with a sander. There's no need to get them absolutely flush with the surrounding surface, but you want to remove the edges. Again, the Multimaster is ideal for this job, but any detail sander should do the trick.

"Does one use the cutout bulkhead piece by propping it into the new space then glassing it in place there?

That certainly can be done if the panel is not damaged in the removal process.

"Glass both sides of it?"

Typically no. Glass the side that's easiest to access.

"Or is a whole new bulkhead piece need to be manufactured?"

That can easily be done, too.

"If so what tricks are neede to do that?"

No tricks, just layup a panel on a piece of polyethylene sheet laid on a flat surface (countertop, plywood, table saw, etc.). Make it oversize and build it up to ~3/32" thickness using fiberglass cloth (a core of fiberglass matt will make it stiffer, albeit heavier). Place another sheet of poly' over it, then another flat surface and stack some weight on it. Once it's cured, cut it to shape an install it.