MR corbonlite

Just bought a Mad River Slipper. It has a 1996 HIN, beige gelcoat and a fine textured weave interior. wood trim. Weighs 49.5 pounds. Obviously not kevlar, I assume its fiberglass, but can I rule out the dreaded carbonlight?

The texture suggests FG.
MR used to do very good FG, thin, flexible, but stiff enough to hold the hull in shape.

I would need a Slipper for each foot.

Not carbon lite.
Carbon lite is very smooth & slick, similar to royal ex, but harder finish.

ThankS
Thought so but the weights are so close that I had a doubt. funny, the seller bought the boat 8 years ago directly at MR, its marked demo inside. he was told by them it was Kevlar but they also didnt tell him the boat was 8 years old at the time. I knew the boat was too heavy to be kevlar, and have never seen a production kevlar boat not marked Kevlar 49."

What’s the serial number (HIN)
That will tell us everything.

glass
"the seller bought the boat 8 years ago directly at MR, its marked demo inside. he was told by them it was Kevlar but they also didnt tell him the boat was 8 years old at the time"

2013 -16 = 1997 or thereabouts

from 1988 MR catalog - Slipper came in only two layups: Fiberglass at 48# and Kevlar at 39#

I had noticed they introduced the carbonite that year, but it seems it had a tractor seat and aluminum trim.

Heheh…
…admired the sleek looks of one once at a dealer, but I too “Would need a Slipper for each foot.” Thanks for the early morning chuckle!

Interesting - the Slipper is not listed
in the 1997 MR catalog. The 1998 catalog announces “the Slipper…returns as the first-ever canoe built of Carbonlite 2000.” By the 1999 catalog it has disappeared again.