MR Twister, MR Cyclone, Dagger Edge

Does anyone have experience with any of these boats? I could not find them in the Review section. They are old ww boats. What time period were they from? Were they any good in there day? If you had to pick one of the three which one would it be?

George

Edge, Cyclone, Twister
George, I do not believe that Dagger ever molded the Edge. The Edge was a Frankie Hubbard design that was produced by both Mohawk and Wenonah, and later by Class V.

The Edge was layed up by Wenonah in TuffWeave and came in 13’ 2" and 15’ lengths. The 15’ version won the ACA Men’s Slalom Open Titles in 1986, 1987, and 1989. The 13.2’ version won the Whitewater Open Canoe Rodeo in 1989, so yes, it was/is a good boat.

You could check with Mike Cichanowski at Wenonah and see if they still have either mold and the production rights. The Edge still appeared in the 1990 Wenonah catalog. If the mold(s) are still usable, Wenonah will custom build you a boat.

The Mohawk Viper 11 and Viper 12 OC-1s are basically cut-down Edges and are great boats, in my opinion. Both sizes are also made in composite by Clipper Canoes.

The Dagger Ocoee (now the Bell Ocoee) is another edgy Frankie Hubbard design that is still in production (by Bell). It has hard chines and a relatively flat bottom and is 11’2" in length.

The Cyclone and Twister were both designed by Mark Clarke and Dave Paton. They were also hard-chined, flat-bottomed radically-rockered boats made by MRC in their Spectra hybrid laminate. The Cyclone was 15’3" in length and the Twister was 13’ 2 1/2". I believe MRC stopped production in 1993 or 1994 and they were later made by Class V.

I have never paddled the Twister or Cyclone. I got to borrow and briefly paddle a 15’ Edge on the Nanty once. I own a Dagger Ocoee and a Mohawk Viper 11, and used to own a Mohawk Viper 12. Whitewater OC1s longer than 14’ are unfashionably large by today’s standards. If I could lay my hands on either a Twister, or a 13’ 2" Edge in composite at a good price, I would snap it up. Otherwise a Viper 12 (which is another Hubbard design and is actually 12’ 6" in length) is probably going to come as close to those boats as anything still in production.

Connolly told me that his Big Boy was
somewhat patterned on the Cyclone. The one I own (now named the Edsel) is flat bottomed with softened chines, slab sides, and an identifiable fore-aft tipping point. Also is mildly fishform. Probably no longer much like a Cyclone. Of course the Fat Boy/ Defiant is similar.

I recommend asking on cboats.net and seeing who comes out of the riverside bushes.

Yes
If one is interested in this type of boat they should take a look at Kaz’s offerings at Millbrook Boats: http://www.millbrookboats.com/

The Ignitor is a highly rockered, flat-bottomed boat with fairly sharp chines, as is the Esquif Spark, which is patterned after it.

Rhumba for those who don’t like fish.

Used Canoes
I should have stated in my original post that these three canoes are for sale used and I am trying to determine if any or all are worth buying. They are kevlar and need rerailed and the outfittings updated.

George

Jeez George
Where do you find these things? Let me know what you don’t plan to buy and how much they want.

Important to know who made them.
I would not buy a pure Kevlar boat, but if a boat is made with S-glass or even E-glass outside, and Kevlar inside, I might consider it. Also, different makers have different degrees of layup skill.

A pure Kevlar boat will require more layers, and more weight, than one made with S-glass outside and Kevlar inside. This is because Kevlar is mediocre in compression strength. And, Kevlar fuzzes when worn.

Fortunately, most builders had read Wallbridge’s Boatbuilders Manual, and knew what they should be doing.

Good Point
I prefer canoes with S-glass outside the kevlar. That is the way Sawyer made most of theirs. And I am pretty sure David Curtis builds his that way. I will take that advise into consideration when I check them out.

George

Own both MRC’s
I have both a MRC Cyclone and Twister, both spectra layups. Got them for $250 each when Adventure Quest closed it’s doors back in the late 90’s.

Cyclone set up tandem. Used to use it in the NE Slalom Series. Great play boat.

Twister is a hoot. But as the water get pushy, those hard chines can be a bit unforgiving.

I think the Fat Boy that Kaz (Mill Brook) builds is a bigger Twister.

I’ve rerailed both and now they sit in the barn waiting for my kids to get a bit older so daddy can hit the whitewater trail again. Daughter is about ready to go out in the Cyclone with me and get a feel for the river.