Mudro Entry Point - BWCA

We have a permit for early August for the Mudro entry point near Ely. I have not entered out of Ely before but many times out of Grand Marais.

Looking for sugestions for a 5 day trip with the usual - good fishing, scenery, campsites and weather. Oh and of course no bugs;)

4 falls route
In Beymer’s guide to BWCA, there is a route (you will be reversing the book which starts at Fall Lake) where you head up to Fourtown, Boot, Gun, Nicki, Papoose, Friday Bay of Crooked,loop around on Crooked to Basswood Falls, and down to Fall Lake. About 40 miles and 16 portages- two of a mile on your 2nd and 4th days, I think there is a 120 rod portage the first day, rest are under a 100 rods. After July 4th, I will be able to tell you about it- we start at Fall lake June 27. I don’t know how much current there is below Basswood falls, water flows east to west through there. On the flip side you will be going with the prevailing winds. There are power boats allowed from Fall Lake almost to Basswood Falls, essentially all of your last day. Apparently, the falls attract people (why we are going, my wife wants to see them), so not a route for solitude- maybe your 2nd and 3rd days will see less people.

no many permits still open
for Mudro!

This is a great route, but you had better check for permits asap if you want to start at Mudro!

re: Basswood Falls
We were below Basswood Falls last Sept., paddling upstream. Until you got real close, i.e. beyond the portage, the current was nice for fishing but not bad for paddling.

great area, enjoy

Iron Lake
We headed out of Mudro two years ago and looped through the Basswood River, Crooked Lake, Iron Lake, Lac la Croix, and out through the Moose River. Our trip was longer than 5 days, but you could get to Iron Lake and paddle back to Mudro.

Iron Lake or Crooked Lake are a nice destinations with great fishing, but be prepared for the crowds.