Music on the water?

Ben Franklinn said " Your right to
listen to music stops where my ears begin".

At least that would drown out the music!
Seriously I don’t care where you are or what you listen to. Heck if there’s lots of folks around your tunes would likely be less bothersome than if you’re out in the wild and I’m the only other for miles around.

My vote is you stick with the headphones and let me choose what I want to listen to.

The best speakers to use are
ONES THAT DO NOT WORK !!!

Furthermore, if you choose to post here then be prepared to get an answer to a question you haven’t asked !

If you find that objectionable go suck your dreadlocks.

cranked up
I have this little crank powered emergency radio/flashlight/compass. You crank it for about five minutes and you are good to go for quite a while. One little one inch speaker.

I paddled up a little brook the other day and listened to the waterfalls. Nothing so perfect as that. But then I thought a little music would help. I turned it on and the Pretenders started “I’ll Stand by You”. The echoes of the surrounding rock surfaces gave that live concert effect. I had to pull out my Bic and hold the flame over my head. I think I was the only boat on that 24 mile lake that evening.

latest NRS catalog
has some waterproof earbuds for private tunes and an Ipod case too.

This reminds me …
… of the argument made by ATVers who want more trail access.

“Just make it multi-use so we can all share. To each his own!” they say, apparently oblivious to the fact that THEIR noisy, smelly, destructive use of the trail directly infringes on my enjoyment of it, whereas MY quiet, low-impact use of the same trail does nothing to infringe on their enjoyment of it (except when I serve as a human speed bump).

Put aside any value judgments about which activity is more ‘superior’ or highbrow; the fact remains that one activity more heavily infringes on the other, and that ain’t equitable.

Seems to me, this is a related side-issue to the larger topic of amplified music in the outdoors.

Yeah! And look where floatin’…
…the idea that he could key-in on lightning’s potential got 'em. Listening from the grave to seismic disturbances generated by the 1,000 watt-throbbed trunk lids and quarter panels parading cross the Delaware on his namesake bridge.

And Ben! I’m all for ya on that beer thing! But, that national turkey thought! It still ain’t gonna fly these couple hundred years plus later!

the more i think about it

– Last Updated: Sep-14-07 1:58 PM EST –

WHAT IF you are out there wrapped around your soundy system and listening to your 'great tunes' and...pochahontis glides around the bend in her baboosic, dancing around her single blade, and slides on by... because she's got you pegged, dude.

Not so tough to do …
In order to have quality sound for both the stern and bow paddler, it will be necessary to attach the speakers to the outriggers, with the speakers focusing on a point just aft of the canoe’s center of rotation. With forward and aft outriggers, you could actually install a 4-speaker surround sound system.

The bass (not the fish!) will not carry well with the speakers suspended out over the water. To correct this, you need to attach the subwoofer underneath the canoe directly on the keel line. It’s probably important, for non-musical reasons, that it be centered.

Are you also considering little TV’s at each paddling station?

bird songs
That’s the only music I need on the water.

flat panel,lcd
turn 'em sideways, flip 'em down, they’re a skeg.

Mebbe some Britney,
or Paris. And some Snoop Doggy Dogg. And 50 Cent and Diddy. Crank it up dude. (Where’s that barfing icon when you need him?)

Might as well go satelite . . . .
Get it here . . . .

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4110014

dannyb9, i once had a tick removed
from my bellybutton. It was not fun , and did it ever itch!

ouch!
that sounds worse than having a stick stuck sideways in your

navel ; )

noise
Last summer we portaged into a small lake for some fishing. During the day you could clearly hear people talking from the next lake over, in the other direction from where we entered.

The point is that people talking at a normal level, which was at least a couple blocks away and through the trees, easily carried across to us. Not that it bothered us, but I was suprised how far sounds can travel. If you are on open water, that distance is probably greater.