My 50/50 record at Zoar Gap stands secure

14 attempts - 7 successful, 5 swims and 2 walks.

Yesterday’s attempt wasn’t pretty, but I did make it through upright. My plan was to catch the eddy at the top, and then go right. I caught the eddy fine, but as usual bounced off the big rock in the middle and almost went over. After a long brace, I finally got myself back upright, but by then I missed the eddy on the right and banged into the rocks downstream instead. Fortunately, I was able to work my way off without too much difficulty, so my 50/50 record stands secure.

Unfortunately, no pictures at the Gap from yesterday, but here is one from a few years ago.

Zoar Gap

This is the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield - an easy class II run with with Zoar Gap (class III) at the end. Few pictures from the rest of the run here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157692514781050

the pool at the bottom is sometimes so welcome… At least your gear doesn’t have much chance to escape

The person asking about running Class 2 in a rec boat needs that photo.

@string said:

The rapid in the picture is class 3, but I have seen people run it in long touring boats.

That really looks like a lot of fun---- maybe a few years ago.

Went snow tubing this winter and thought I saw my life flash by. Figured I survived it in 70s surely +40 years later no problem.
Didn’t drink any beer beforehand this time, it mighta helped.

@eckilson said:

@string said:

The rapid in the picture is class 3, but I have seen people run it in long touring boats.

I still remember the “entertainment” of watching a protracted attempt to unwrap a coleman canoe doubled around one of the boulders in the “gap.” I didn’t stick around but I am sure they got it out once the fife dam release subsided. :smiley:

sing

@sing said:
I didn’t stick around but I am sure they got it out once the fife dam release subsided. :smiley:

sing

Yup - once they turned the water off they were probably be able to walk up and pick it off the rock.

@eckilson said:

@sing said:
I didn’t stick around but I am sure they got it out once the fife dam release subsided. :smiley:

sing

Yup - once they turned the water off they were probably be able to walk up and pick it off the rock.

That damn rock… The plug was pulled as I was atop it… The water dropped so fast I fell over still in kayak and banged elbow

Found a shot of Zoar Gap before they turned the water on - looks a little different. You can go right or left, but it is not a good idea to go straight down the middle.

IMGP0972

I usually try going right, with mixed results.

Wow. Rock gardening in a river.

And to add perspective this rapid is also done by tubers bearing beer
I hope they banged up their butts

On how this gets counted - does the 50% successful include rolling up successfully in the Gap and finishing upright? Or not needing to roll? Only actually did it once but depending on above it might not count.

Day I did it there were also rafts going through. But that was before Irene, may not be so raft friendly with the changes from that storm. Did not see any tubers that day, at least above the Gap. But they are all over the place below the dam on the Sacandaga. It is only the kindness of the river that they and their six packs usually make it out intact.

@Celia said:
On how this gets counted - does the 50% successful include rolling up successfully in the Gap and finishing upright?

No roll for me - success is making it through upright. Swimming is the alternative (or maybe walking if I wimp out).

Day I did it there were also rafts going through. But that was before Irene, may not be so raft friendly with the changes from that storm. Did not see any tubers that day, at least above the Gap.

Most of the tubers are below the Gap. You really would get a broken butt going through the Gap on a tube.

Had not thought of that- while a canoe can be rolled the time it would take is probably longer than what is available in the Gap.

I didn’t see any tubers above the Gap that day, but I think I did see one on another trip.

The mouse that Zoared
must pick its lion,
before pulling out
in thorny paws,

for in some lions
be rocky roads,
to turn you over
in toothy maws.

Somedays, you eat the lion. Somedays, the line…

Keep Zoaring, Sir Eric de Dagger!

“The mouse the Zoared” (found this one from sometime in 2006)

fife6

Thanks Tom - that is great. I’ll be back there tomorrow, but running the section below the Gap.