My first kayak - looking for suggestions

Hello!

I’m looking to buy my first kayak, and have been doing plenty of research. That doesn’t beat actual personal experience, though, so I figured I’d ask for suggestions.

My background: I’m in my late 40s, and suffer from arthritis and nerve pain in major muscles. This means that fatigue can hit me pretty hard, on some days, but I’m also more capable at working through pain than most (from pure necessity). I’m otherwise in pretty good condition. 5’11", 175 lbs clean on the hook.

Prior experience: Years of sailing smaller craft (square-rigged sloops mainly, but basically anything 25’. I’ve sailed on some larger craft as well, including a few races, but that’s probably not relevant. I have rowed aforementioned sloops, skiffs and other waterborne affairs, but never kayaks and seldom canoes.

Goals: recreational paddling and getting some more exercise on my frame while I still can. Health is an ongoing concern, and I want to enjoy the water again and use it to build myself up a little once more. Wouldn’t mind planning on weekend trips once I’m back in the swing of things, but that’s more something for 6 months down the road or so. My spouse is an avid fisherman, and bought a fishing kayak (a Sundolphin Kingsport 12), and although I don’t fish, i want to be able to enjoy myself out on the water with him, whether that’s enjoying scenery, reading a book while coasting, or getting exercise in on lakes and milder rivers. Note, please, that my spouse isn’t a sporty watercrafter, but that I personally enjoy pushing myself a bit more. We have Yakima roofracks for the SUV, and since I expect to be on the water with my partner, the ability to handle it on my own is less important.

Estimates: I’m looking at a sit-in with a 12’-13’ hull. I’m not too afraid of initial stability, and I like the better tracking and stability under muscle power, plus the roomier hull. I don’t expect a skeg to be necessary at first, but being able to grow into one would be good, once I migrate from placid lakes to flowing rivers. I expect I may need to replace a seat, or add a gel pillow, but that’s not as important at getting the hull right. So far, the Perception Conduit 13 looks appealing for the price. I’m prefer not to go a ton higher (let’s call $650 my price limit for now).

Does anyone have offered advice or critique? Anything is welcome and will be considered.

Regards,

Pat

As an addendum - most of my sailing and rowing was done many years ago - before my health concerns started to be an issue. I still have the confidence and comfort to be on the water, but I’ll be quite rusty.

The reference below is aimed at sea kayaks longer than where your interest lies. Nevertheless, there is some information therein that may be of use.
lposka.7ich.com/home/buying-your-first-kayak

@rsevenic said:
The reference below is aimed at sea kayaks longer than where your interest lies. Nevertheless, there is some information therein that may be of use.
lposka.7ich.com/home/buying-your-first-kayak

Thank you for the reply! There’s some good information in there, and the link is much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Unless you want to buy used - and for a first kayak you seriously look into used - your budget is very low.

You should also consider that you’ll need to spend about $100 on a decent PFD, and at least $150 on a paddle.

The very best thing you can do is to find a local paddle shop - not a sporting goods or big box store who mostly sell glorified pool toys - and talk to them. Many of them will have boats available to demo, sometimes for a nominal price. The fit of the seat and thigh pads, the size of the cockpit, the adjustability of the footpegs are all significant.

Finally, I’d say that 13’ is the absolute minimum length you should be looking at and you shouldn’t go any wider than about 24". A longer, slimmer boat will be faster requiring less effort to paddle, and will track better.

@kfbrady said:
Unless you want to buy used - and for a first kayak you seriously look into used - your budget is very low.

You should also consider that you’ll need to spend about $100 on a decent PFD, and at least $150 on a paddle.

The very best thing you can do is to find a local paddle shop - not a sporting goods or big box store who mostly sell glorified pool toys - and talk to them. Many of them will have boats available to demo, sometimes for a nominal price. The fit of the seat and thigh pads, the size of the cockpit, the adjustability of the footpegs are all significant.

Finally, I’d say that 13’ is the absolute minimum length you should be looking at and you shouldn’t go any wider than about 24". A longer, slimmer boat will be faster requiring less effort to paddle, and will track better.

Oh, I was planning the budget to be just for the kayak, with any additional outfitting on top of it. I’m looking at used options, as well, but there seems to be little for sale that suits me. Mind, I am likely not familiar yet with the channels where decent craft are offered for sale. I’m not adverse to paying for quality, but I’m not entirely confident that I’ll be able to recognize value for money. That means I may need to consider limiting my financial exposure, and look for a better, more expensive kayak next year or so.

I plan to hit the local marina and see whether they have some advice to offer. Since most water locally is smaller lakes and rivers, there’s not a lot of dedicated watersport stores. Chances are that I’ll end up in the big city south of us, whether I buy used or new.

I’m not as knowledgeable as others here, but I’ll share my experience.

I got a used Perception Sonoma 10 ($320 on Craigslist), and I love it. The best thing is that it’s light (about 36 lbs), so it’s easy to load onto the truck. I go pretty far in search of fish, and it feels fast and easy to handle. You’ll easily keep up with your hubby if you had a boat like this.

I bought flotation bags that make it safer in the event of a capsize.

I often spend six hours in the thing with only a few breaks. I got a gel pad, and I’m totally comfortable. No back pain, although I get shoulder pain from casting. I get a good core workout from the paddling

In some ways, the fishing is just an excuse to be out in the kayak. I have a similar sailing/water background to yours. I’m 64.

Newer boats often have more comfortable seats, especially those brands that have white water backgrounds. 3 boats to consider:
Dagger Alchemy L
Dagger Stratos (S or L)
Jackson Journey 13.5 or 14.

All of them are around $1250 new, and if you can find used, maybe half that.

On skeg, you will find you more need it as you are progressing, and going without a skeg in windy conditions takes some skill. The dagger boats are skeg boats, and the jackson boat has a rudder (and rudders are like skegs - among recreational paddlers, being able to go without a rudder in windy conditions requires more skill).

I second what kfbrady said, but I would not settle, or even look at anything less than 14 feet. If it were at all possible to try a few boats out before you buy, that would be ideal. At your size, even a 16 footer, or more should be considered. In any case, don’t even think about what you’re likely to find at Walmart, Costco, or any such stores.

Unless you stumble on to a really good deal, $650 is probably at the very low end of what a decent boat is going to cost. In the long run, spending more for the first boat, could be the best money you will spend.

To make the whole thing the best possible experience, take the time to learn a proper forward stoke–how to hold the paddle, torso rotation, etc., etc. Learn what constitutes a good paddle and what length is right for you. Do not go cheap on a pfd and be sure it is designed for paddling. Learn what needs to be watched out for in used, or even new boats as pertains to the actual condition of the boat (warps, straightness, damage, etc.).

My brother has a Tempest 170(Sea kayak) but paddles mangroves so just got a Conduit. He really enjoys it.

There are tons of styles of paddling, paddlers, and boats to address them. A 12ish ft boat will get from A to B relatively easily. You will not notice the wiggle in the tracking or the limited hull speed much unless you compare it to longer boats. Paddling different styles back to back will make the differences quite glaring though. My 12’ cruises at a nice walk, 17’ a nice jog.

Expect some soreness. Paddling works core muscles differently that life in general. I hate to mention it, but expect leg numbness. It is very common, but controllable (probably avoidable). It has to do with several issues including tightness of hamstrings, core muscle strength and balance, and seat fit. Because if multiple causes, it takes a bit to personally figure it out.

Recommending a beginner boat is almost impossible. Everything is so relative. Everything equal, you tend to paddle boats more if they are easy to get to the water. Heavy boats tend to demotivate. Carts are good, dragging hulls is not.