My First Multi-day Trip... things I should anticipate?

@castoff said:
Mask, fins, and snorkel would definitely go with me. At least the mask would go, and also a good “waterproof camera”!

If you’re going to bring a mask might as well bring a snorkel. If I was bringing fins I’d bring a weight belt as well.

I did a lot of snorkeling collecting marine tropicals without using a weight belt. But fins and snorkels are worth the space and weight.

I take aspirin and Benadryl . Seldom used but can take care of a lot of discomfort.
Our world travelers when I was working recommended " something to make you start and something to make you stop" when traveling out of the country.

@Johnnysmoke said: > Baja is amazing, you’ll have a great time. … > Get up early for a sunrise or two, pretty mind blowing watching the colors fill in the total darkness. Sleep out cowboy style for a night if you’re not already. It’s a an incredible place, enjoy your trip!

Hey Johnnysmoke, thanks for your nice post… many comments, all right on mark. Glad to hear you love Baja. I actually live here in Loreto, we’ve been here for 13 years now. I am new to kayaking, but not new to the Sea… I had a nice Panga/Honda150 for 10 years and I’ve camped on the islands many times. My main motivation is spearfishing… It was much easier off the panga… kayak spearfishing is hard work, difficult to manage all gear, challenging workout… I love it, and I was surprised to learn that I LOVE paddling… this is a great discovery at 61 years old. Because of spearfishing, I bought a SOT kayak for ease of entry/exit for diving (Cobra Tourer, 15’ x 28", 51#)… this will be my first longer trip paddling… looking forward to the learning experience, and to starting solo trips to the islands.

PS: Totally agree about “cowboy style”… a tent is not needed (though I have given in to a lightweight cot… gentler on my old back than the sand). I love waking up to a dark sky full of stars, and watching the sky start to fill with soft light as dawn approaches.

@roym said: I just looked at who this is run by…Don’t worry. Your in good hands.

Thanks Roy. I am very fortunate to have met Ginni Callahan 13 years ago, and pleased to have my first kayak touring experience with her company Sea Kayak Baja Mexico. Ginni is an amazing woman, the original Energizer Bunny!

@castoff said:
I saw a great emergency desalinator once. It was a pressure cooker pot and lid with a coil of copper tubing.

YES!!! The Gravi-Stil… I want one. The problem on the islands inside the Marine Park is a rule prohibiting burning of wood for firing the still (bringing propane for distillation would be space prohibitive). The Gravi-stil is only 13" in diameter… I can just barely fit in my hatch, but it does fit. I am thinking about getting one for general emergency water backup… being able to use it when kayaking outside the Marine Park is a huge bonus!

http://www.shtfandgo.com/store/survival-gear/145-gravi-stil-tm-emergency-water-distiller-and-gravity-filter-66499299716.html

@castoff said:
Mask, fins, and snorkel would definitely go with me. At least the mask would go, and also a good “waterproof camera”!

Castoff & Johnnysmoke: Hell yes, freediving is excellent where we are going up the west side of Isla Carmen and all around Isla Danzante… I’m bringing mask, snorkel, long fins, weights, and also a lycra suit… the lycra keeps the little stinging critters in the water off of me (they make me itch).

Regarding camera… I think I need to get a GoPro, and some sort of solar battery charging setup… seems like that would be the ticket. Any thoughts on this? I plan to get a photo/video setup next time I drive up to San Diego.

@string said: I take aspirin and Benadryl . Seldom used but can take care of a lot of discomfort.
Our world travelers when I was working recommended " something to make you start and something to make you stop" when traveling out of the country.

Great suggestions for basic meds… I have ibuprofin packed… I’ll add aspirin & antihistamine. Regarding Monteczuma’s Revenge, I didn’t think of that, never had it (I live in Mexico, cast iron stomach) … I will add hand sanitizer, wipes, and immodium (fastest relief, though only belays the issue). I wish I could get a cold pack for stings… next trip.

@billder99 said:
I wish I could get a cold pack for stings… next trip.

you can get one time use reactive cold packs.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+pack+reaction&rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS715US717&oq=cold+pack+at+r&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.16635j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

@billder99 said:

@string said: I take aspirin and Benadryl . Seldom used but can take care of a lot of discomfort.

Great suggestions for basic meds… I have ibuprofin packed… I’ll add aspirin & antihistamine. Regarding Monteczuma’s Revenge, I didn’t think of that, never had it (I live in Mexico, cast iron stomach) … I will add hand sanitizer, wipes, and immodium (fastest relief, though only belays the issue). I wish I could get a cold pack for stings… next trip.
Ammonia works for sting relief…
I think with all the suggestions you will be overpacked. Time will tell.

Anticipate FUN.

@kayamedic said: Ammonia works for sting relief… I think with all the suggestions you will be overpacked. Time will tell.

Oh yeah, I am definitely LOL-overpacked… First, the good news… I have lost 50# since 26 Nov, down to 235.

The Not-So-Good: My base weight was 24#… until I added dive & spearfishing gear, which adds another 18# (this does save on food weight, we’ll eat fish for 4 days)… food, add appx 6#… water @ 4L/day, add 63#… that is a total of 93#… oucsh.

I wouldn’t be comfortable without a cot (4#) or a chair (2.5#)… I need an anchor (5.5# with line and grounding tackle)… I could leave my hiking shoes behind (3#) but exploring the islands is part of the fun of the trip… diving for fish meals, I need 12# of weight and a speargun + xtra spear, but this is my main motivator for kayaking… water is the biggie: I do like the idea of a Gravi-Stil (see post above)… I suspect I could save 30-40# by distilling a gallon of water daily.

The kayak has a 475 load capacity. I am prepared for good hard workouts, and the weather forecast is perfect… I’ll be fine, and I WILL HAVE FUN!!

Headed out the door… I will report back after the trip… thanks everyone.