My First Multi-day Trip... things I should anticipate?

We leave Monday morning, 2 April. I’ve been reading and preparing and I think I’ve done well… but I know you will all have some tips for things to consider that I didn’t think about. This is a guided 7-day unsupported wilderness trip around some islands in the Sea of Cortez. We bring it with us, or we don’t have it. Please share any thoughts you may have, mental or physical challenges I can still prepare for.

Enjoy and have fun. After all major trips I make a list of “what worked, what didn’t”. Over time you will get the minor details sorted out. Like all things, kayak camping is a skill that you get better over the years. My first trip was very frustrating – I couldn’t find anything I needed in my dry bags (due to poor packing) and was not comfortable at night. As I did more trips I came up with a consistent packing system, my gear and skills improved, and now I’m often more comfortable sleeping in the wilds than at home.

No matter how much you plan, the thing you need is always at the bottom of the bag - at least in a canoe where you tend to use one or two big dry bags rather than lots of little ones. I guess in a kayak the corollary would be no matter how well you plan, the dry bag that you need is always in the bow (or stern).

Bring more water than you think you need, in several different containers (so you can adjust trim, and keep your supplies fresh}

I am confused. A guided trip ought to come with a packing list.

You can live without everything but water. Have lots of it and don’t keep it all in one place. If there is a freshwater source have a good filter.
Since we don’t have your list it’s difficult to say what you didn’t think of.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Good point from kayamedic… here is the Packing List from the tour operator: https://seakayakbajamexico.com/planning-a-trip/packing-list/

In addition, I have been reading here on Paddling forum and also backpacking forums… I think I have done well in preparation, just looking for things no one seems to mention… such as “Whatever you need will be the least accessible” ; ) … or “You can live without everything but water.”

Any other last moment favorite items you would not camp without? Things you wish you had known sooner?

At my first camp stop on a week+ solo trip down the shoreline of lake Superior, I discovered to my dismay that I had neglected to bring a spoon, fork, or even a spork.

My evening plans were rearranged slightly to accommodate carving a spoon from the copious amounts of driftwood on the beach.

I could have gotten along without it, for certain. But it made meals easier and more civilized, not that anyone else was around to point this out. I still have the spoon as a souvenir and reminder to do a thorough gear check before leaving. Also that ingenuity can overcome forgetfulness and necessity is relative.

I just looked at who this is run by…Don’t worry. Your in good hands.

Best Wishes
Roy

Baja is amazing, you’ll have a great time. I think it’s starting to “warm” up this time of year, getting on hot. But there’s still a pretty significant temperature variation between night and day, probably drops 20 degrees at night. You could pretty much get away with just a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sandals, and a light puffy jacket for camp. Cotton works well for camp clothes in the desert.
But the sun, it’s crazy strong down there, very little natural shade. And it can be very windy, so can be a bit of a blast furnace when everything peaks mid-day. Make sure you bring plenty of sun screen, apply early and often. Some good lip balm. Also a really good sun hat, good sunglasses with a strap/lense cloth/case, a long sleeve sun blocking shirt to paddle in. Sun/paddling gloves wouldn’t be a bad idea if you have them.
A hydration system on the 1.5 liter side would be good, and a bit of emergency or sports drink mix couldn’t hurt, not that I’d combine the two. “Camp suds” works great in salt water for a scrub. And don’t forget your preferred GI medicine if you get a touch of stomach mayhem. A crazy creek style chair wouldn’t hurt for beachtime.
Get up early for a sunrise or two, pretty mind blowing watching the colors fill in the total darkness. Sleep out cowboy style for a night if you’re not already. It’s a an incredible place, enjoy your trip!

@DrowningDave said:
You can live without everything but water. Have lots of it and don’t keep it all in one place. If there is a freshwater source have a good filter.
Since we don’t have your list it’s difficult to say what you didn’t think of.

Ditto! I always carry more freshwater than I will need while coastal camping, and when the water I am paddling isn’t fit to filter, You really don’t know how long your stay might end up being.

I’d assume since they’re paddling in a desert, on a guided trip, the guides will provide the water and containers. A gallon per person per day.
Most of the water in Baja is sourced from desalination plants, so should be pretty safe as long as it’s handled correctly.

I saw a great emergency desalinator once. It was a pressure cooker pot and lid with a coil of copper tubing. Then there is always a hole in wet sand with a pot in the middle and a plastic sheet with it’s edges covered in sand. A stone is placed in the middle of the plastic so it sags down over the pot in the hole that collects the dripping condensation.

@castoff said:
I saw a great emergency desalinator once. It was a pressure cooker pot and lid with a coil of copper tubing.

I don’t think that would fit through my hatch opening. :wink:

Atlantic coastal camping sunrise.

@Sparky961 said:

@castoff said:
I saw a great emergency desalinator once. It was a pressure cooker pot and lid with a coil of copper tubing.

I don’t think that would fit through my hatch opening. :wink:

I have waterproof fiberglass hatches on my sea Kayak that i can put in a large enough pot to steam crabs or oysters. you can also find 2 liter pressure cookers that are smaller, and lower profile. I don’t know if they would fit under the rubber hatch covers, but they will fit under mine.

@castoff said:
I have waterproof fiberglass hatches on my sea Kayak that i can put in a large enough pot to steam crabs or oysters.

Different strokes, different folks. I shy away from “glamping” in favour of semi-minimalism. Though as indicated above, I do appreciate having a spoon.

But if I were into eating seafood, you’d be near the top of my list for trip companions.

:wink:

Just saw the equipment list, boat type, and company looks like fun!
I like to keep things minimalist for my gear style, so I don’t need to spend a lot of time chasing stuff around, but I also like to be comfortable. Also with the NDK boats not a ton of packing space.
So I always bring a comfy sleeping pad so I get a good night’s sleep. Especially for rocky beaches a thick air mattress is my preference, and the new Thermarest mattresses pack down super small but are thick and comfy. I slept cowboy style in Baja, but did bring a big 12x12 tarp with poles for the sun, and I used a bivy to keep the breeze off me at night.
I also brought a hydroskin long sleeve top, only used it occasionally, but for long boat surfing and rolling it was great. A paddling jacket or semi dry top would be good to have as well, but I think you’d roast in a full dry top.
I always bring my own paddle rolled up in my sleeping bag in a checked duffle bag. Might be worthwhile to bring your own lifejacket if you’re particular on how they fit.
I really like having a good pair of binoculars for camp.
I fished a lot in Baja but I’m not sure I’d go out of my way to bring fishing gear unless it was provided.
The snorkeling is pretty good if the water isn’t clouded by a storm/Norte.
The Nortes roll in very quickly from the north and can last for a few days, and most people just sit and wait them out. Can be a good opportunity to surf if you’re camped at a beach that will hold waves.
Also look be prepared for “surf landings.”

Mask, fins, and snorkel would definitely go with me. At least the mask would go, and also a good “waterproof camera”!