My friend needs your help

He knows that most people use sit-on-top kayaks as a fishing platform but he wants the security and protection that a sit-in-side kayak gives you. He lives to fish and wanted me to ask all of you what is the best sit-in-side out there for fishing? He is 5’9 and 220 lbs.

No best really…

– Last Updated: Feb-26-10 10:51 AM EST –

but I'd recommend a boat with a large cockpit, and suggest he look into SPONSONS (Ducking and dodging out the door here...LOL)

Gotta ask this
What kind of security and protection does he think he’ll get from a SINK that he won’t get from a SOT? Primary stability may be if anything more challenged between a SOT really designed for fishing and a regular SINK. Is it about staying dry? If that is a large concern, he may be better off putting down some bucks for higher end clothing than trying to make a large cockpit SINK - the likely best bet for fishing - a dry place to sit.

poke it
Google “poke boat” for maximum “security and protection” by what I’m guessing are your friend’s criteria.

As far as what “most” people use, among non-motorized craft, I’d guess first jon boats and than canoes probably outnumber kayaks, whether SOT or SINK. Or at least that’s true for what I see on the lakes and ponds around here.

Sit inside fishing boat
If your friend is new to paddling and plans on fishing at the coast…he needs a sit on top. If he plans of fishing freshwater, (Lakes and slow Rivers) its worth looking at the Sit Inside Hybrids like the Ultimate. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14.cfm

I have a few friends over 200 lbs and they like the Ultimate because its stable, has lots of capacity for gear and you can access the gear easily while on the water. Being able to stand up and sight cast is a bonus on freshwater.

where?
Where is he fishing? Fishing for Tuna off the coast of Cape Cod? Or is he fishing at a local pond? The type of boat will vary.

Pungo 140
It’s the fastest and most comfortable rec boat in the universe. And the thing is SOOOO big you can keep a big tackle box right in their with you.

I wouldn’t recommend it if you had to carry it far or if you paddled shallow rocky creeks, but in lakes and bays near a boat ramp it is devine.

Suggest to your friend that he try
a SOT. The Tarpon series were made for fishing. I have had mine in conditions I never want to paddle in again and it was great, with thigh straps.

Folbot Aleut

Expand the options
A cataraft is the best general fishing platform that is human powered. It is super stable, has great storage, and can even handle rapids. It is not fast but for most situations that does not matter. Depending on the water fished a float tube is another great option. Think like a fisherman, not a paddler.

Depends what “security and protection”…

– Last Updated: Feb-27-10 10:15 PM EST –

... means. If it means staying dry and being stable, there are lots of other options. Over the years, I've fished out of a 12-foot aluminum Jon boat more than anything else, and can row it faster than the average person (semi-skilled, not skilled) can paddle a canoe and waaay faster than any of those "personal fishing platforms", and much less affected by wind than any inflatable I've seen so far. It's also a lot easier to portage than any "cheap" canoe, though it's no match for a lightweight. Needless to say, there is no need to "outfit" a Jon boat for fishing - it has all the room you need. Such a crude boat may be the best for the job, but we as advice-givers can't know what's best for your friend because we don't know what he will be doing with the boat.

old town
old town has some good offerings.

i have a friend that brings in lots of fish in a capella or ndk explorer but he knows what he is doing.

old town may be the way to go if your friend is going to fish on larger water bodies.

ugh…
fishing from a sit inside sucks. Tell your friend to get a sit on top.

Nothing particularly secure
about a wide, big cockpit sit inside. If it tips over, and fills with water, and you aren’t properly equipped, you will struggle to get it back to shore. If he goes with a SINK, make sure he gets airbags and a good pump, and practices wet re-entries.

With a SOT you simply tip it right side up and scramble back on. Sit insides have certain advantages, but “safe and secure” isn’t among them.

kayak
an eskimo invention used to fish, hunt seal, whale and travel on the most exposed coastlines.

8,000 years in the making.

if yuo know what you are doing a sink is proven.

a rec boat opn the other hand is not.

most sot’s (all i have seen) are short distance rec boats; but i may be very wrong.

SINK not my first choice
having tried it both ways. Gear access and removing fish isn’t as convenient in a SINK.

But if he tries something more conventional in design but with a big open cockpit like a Pungo 140 he may be pleased. I’d recommend keeping it to inshore use or small lakes/ponds.

A SOT has a lot of advantages in that you don’t have to worry so much about inadvertant leans and wearing a skirt to prevent overtopping. Plus, there is the already mentioned recovery/re-entry issue if you do flip. A Tarpon 140 SOT is just about ideal for his size for a fishing kayak.

Pungo 14
And the Tarpon 140 is a wet ride at 220#, A Native Manta Ray 14 is a similar, but much dryer ride.

jim

sit in and fish
Take a hard look at the Eddyline Shasta.

Thanks
Thanks to all who responded. will make his choice soon.

Canoe?
If its fresh water, why not a canoe?

Probbaly go anywhere a Rec boat can