My Longest paddle trip

So I am really new to kayaking and this weekend I took my longest paddling trip. While it is probably laughable for most of you, it felt like a big accomplishment for me. Total distance was just a little over 6 miles. 3 miles up current then 3 miles back down. Not a strong current but coming back was quicker for sure. Total time right at 3 hours. No real breaks, didn’t get out of the kayak. I did stop paddling a lot of times and weighted for wife and kids to catch up. My biggest issue was my tail bone hurt bad by the time I got done. I have a 2 inch seat cushion to help, but I definitely needed more, or I need to find a way to set different. It seems the way I set puts a lot of pressure right on my tail bone.

I know the picture sucks, but my phone was in a floating bag, then it fell behind me and i couldn’t get it without getting out of the kayak.

3 Likes

Attaining (paddling up stream) adds another dimension, good for you, does your boat have a supportive backband or seat back? Are your knees bent and balls of feet resting and able to push against the bulkhead, pegs, or a block of foam? Actually having the boat fit you and move with your body will increase your
comfort

It has a back support on it. I have the foot pegs lightly forward and that keeps my knees up. It also make my thighs and hips press against the kayak some and it helps be keep my butt to the back of the seat. It does make me set more on my tailbone though. I will change my pad around a little and see if that helps

1 Like

Then 20 miles, then 50 miles then 200 miles.

I’ll bet there are very few on this forum who haven’t spent more time putzing around with seat-related adjustments (including body positioning) than we care to remember. It comes with the sport, I’m afraid. You’ll get some useful tips here … good luck!

Paddling gets easier as you improve your technique. My first trips in a 9 ft long by 30 inch wide rec kayak was rough and hard on the arms and shoulders. After 1 1/2 miles, I wondered how anyone could enjoy kayaking.

1 Like

@TomL gave great advice last April that totally helped me: “often ANY change will improve your comfort and that’s why I usually bring several pads”.

I took two extra pads on my last extended voyage, and when my tailbone started to hurt, first I added one to my seat, then I switched in the other, then I put one under me with the other on the top part of the seat behind me. Each change provided relief that lasted for hours.

1 Like

I have a foam pad on each side of my tailbone so it can move side-to-side without contacting the seat bucket, otherwise I lose skin. I don’t use backbands for the same reason. Pic is my surfski bucket seat.