my new Natives MR 14's

I just got these in this week from KFS …got a heck of a deal.Shipped to me in 3 days…wow.A deepwater blue and a sand, I really like the blue color the sand looks like it will pick up and show dirt a lot.Went out for a short test paddle that evening.All in all I’m really happy with them…they are easy to paddle although they are not as fast as my Pungo 140 but I didn’t think they would be.They track very well and feel super stable,I’m about 250-260 lbs and it was bone dry inside…if I shifted around a little bit a small amount of water would burp up then quickly drain.These have a ton of free board thats the only thing I’m not sure if I like or not yet.You really sit down inside these…I would call them a deep sit on top…I haven’t tried to sit side saddle on these yet so I can’t say if it will dig into the back of your legs or not.They are heavy at 70# so I’m glad I’m working on building a trailer for my 3 yaks,I wouldn’t want to toss 2 of these on a roof after a hard day of paddling.The foot rests and the seat just rock…those are the best part of the boat IMO and the included paddle holders on both sides is a nice touch.The tank well is gigantic and should fit what ever you would need in it.I have my rod holders and other gear to install on these still but here are some pic’s of the test paddle.Speaking of paddles I got 2 new sting ray full carbon paddles at 27.5 oz and let me say wow are they nice.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/Torin_RH/my%20kayaks/

Nice boats
Manta Ray’s are very popular on the Texas Gulf Coast. The 14 is a nice paddling boat. Have fun.

Just curious
What kind of water do you fish?

• Big D

lakes mostly or wide rivers

Thanks

Nice
I like the blue one.

I have last year’s LiquidLogic model in olive green and it’s a great all around boat. It really loves still flatwater and mild whitewater. Great glide and pretty maneuverable for a boat with almost no rocker.

I’ve done lots of lake paddling with it, a 15 mile TN river trip, a Class I creek with shallow shoals, some easy Class II rapids, and lots of lake paddling.I fished out of it a few times before adding 4 rod holders and an anchor trolley that can be removed. I do a lot of photography from it and at 1/125 or faster, I get great images from it.

The sides are pretty high, but there are times when that is a good thing, especially when you are sideways in moving water. It will have no problem in spots where a Tarpon will flip you.

It’s a heavy boat, no doubt. I bought & assembled a cheap trailer for it. After trying about a dozen other kayaks, the seat is pretty darned good. And it’s very dry compared to other SINKs and SOTs. My paddle holders can get in the way, but they may have fixed that on the new model.

I like the AquaBound Sting Ray paddle, but it’s a little underpowered for some things on the MR14. The nice thing is that you can virtually paddle all day without wearing yourself out. I have the fiberglass blades which are a little heavier at 31oz. I’m upgrading to an ONNO Full Tour which should be shipping in the next week. The Sting Ray just has a hard time acceleraating the MR14 quickly or going upstream in fast water.

The MR will also move around a little with a quartering wind and you’ll have to take some correcting strokes to keep in in line. If you know the winds will be high, weighting down the bow a little can help some.

In Class I and Class II, the hatches will leak some and you’ll get water inside the boat. Most of the time a sponge is sufficient, but I flipped it last weekend in a creek and had to borrow a serious pump. The drain will let some water out, but not all of it, and it’s a slow drain.

Enjoy the boats!!

jim

thanks for the input…I sprayed my boats down after the paddle and a few days later I pulled the hatches and found water inside.I started to worry,I havnt had a chance to take them out again and see if they dont fill up with out being sprayed.I also feel like the stingray doesnt move the manta as well as it should I’m gonna see if my BB Infusion does better but you are right about not getting tired w/the stingray paddle.

Hatches are not
watertight, so no surprise. If they take on water out on a still lake, that’s another thing.

For small creeks with moving water, a paddle with big plastic blades works well. Don’t have to worry about busting the blades and on moving water, you aren’t constantly paddling anyway. I like paddles in the 230 to 240cm range for using a medium to high angle stroke with the Manta Ray.

jim

water inside
The water inside may be from condensation. Take a look inside when you come off the water to tell.

My wife had a pinhole leak at the seam inside a scupper hole on hers…a dab of plumber’s putty took care of it.

I also removed the bungee screws from the floor of the cockpit (and other obvious spots) and sealed with a dab of Lexel.

We haven’t had a problem with leaking hatches. Denise actually sits on the front hatch and paddles (messing around). The thing will be half-submerged for as long as she’s sitting up there and doesn’t take on any appreciable water.

Good boats…enjoy them!

The Sting-Ray is an all-around paddle
Aquabound builds other paddles that do specific things well. The Manta Ray is a high angle paddle. I’ve an Eagle Ray, its a very good low angle paddle. As for length, I had a 230. My Loon is about the same width as your yak. But, when it broke, Aquabound offered a 220 as a replacement. I jumped at it and couldn’t be happier.

Possibly, the 230-240 could be better for your yak…if there’s a lot of freeboard…distance from the top side of the deck to the water…a longer paddle seems to work better. With my solo canoe, my 220 is not as comfortable as the 240 I use with it. There are adjustable length paddles…usually more expensive…

Adjustable length paddles
Carlisle makes one for $150, glass shaft and blades, adjustable length and quite light. I borrowed it very limitedly from my paddling partner a few weeks ago.

YoS

I’ve hefted a Sawyer all carbon
A beauty and light as a feather.