N.T. ,canoe heads or boat repair types

Howdy All,

I picked up a used Old Town Canadienne last week. It is in reasonably good shape, but discovered that there is water in the end floatation tanks(?). I drilled a hole in the bottom of them and water indeed flowed out. I am thinking now that I should cut the end tanks out and remove the foam. I think I will just glass the tanks back, sans the foam, I will also add a small ventilation hole/ rubber stopper, sort of the like the set up on my Shearwater. So what say ye, cut the foam out and remove all water/moisture or will the water eventually drain out and all is well. Thanks.

The foam …
may be difficult to remove. It is typically a 2 part catalyst solution poured into the bow or stern compartment and expands to fit (you should see what happend when you put too much in…)

I would think, tho, that your idea to reseal and add a plugged drain is a good one. Maybe you could add a hinged door and make a small equipment (beer?) locker.

JH Bahn

I like the way you think
Brilliant! I think the foam is a piece of foam, I can feel it move around I think. Thanks.

How did the water get in there?
On two of my boats, the float chambers are open at the top, under the end caps. The foam is visible there. To get water in both ends, both ends would have to be submerged in water. My third boat with float chambers has only an air bleeder cap which would not admit much water.

You should be sure you understand how so much water got in there.

Hello Brian, Air tanks
If you look close you will probably see a small vent hole near the top of the tank, it may be under the deck plate. It also may have been pluged thus keeping the water in the tank/tanks from evaporateing. But now that you have let the water out you should be alright just put a fresh hole near the top and plug the ones you drilled at the bottom. It’s important to vent the tanks because in the summer pressure could built up and break the seams, also in the winter any water in the tanks could freeze and damage the boat.

I don’t think I would remove the foam or the air tanks. Only because it would create more work than it’s worth

Re: Float tanks
Thanks for the responses. I am not sure exactly how the water got in, but I beleive the boat has spent sometime outside. I will remove the deck plates to get a closer look. Hey N.T. I’ve sent you a couple of e-mails, you dissing me bro? I have had the boat less than a week, and have all the wood work removed and am almost done refinishing it, I am going to add a 3rd seat for solo outings as well. WhenI get it all back to gether I will post some pics. One last thing, is it possible that the Penobscot 16 is the roylex version of the Canadienne 16? The hulls look remarkably similiar. Anywho, thanks for the info.

Refinishing…

– Last Updated: Jan-19-06 12:29 PM EST –

You state that you are "refinishing" the hull.
I would certainly like to her more about what that process entails.
Not long ago; I took a long look at an OT Canadienne (boundary waters/multi trip veteran).
From the waterline up, it was in very good condition. I passed on purchasing the boat because of what I feared might be extensive repair costs, and my lack of hull refinishing knowledge.

BOB

Not the hull…
Sorry Bob, I was not clear, I have refinished all of the wood pieces and replaced the yoke and the one thwart. I have done some minor gelcoat work as well, but no big deal. This boat does have a thin gel coat, which probably explains it weight of about 50 lbs, though I have not weighed it yet. The hull itself is in good structural shape, it is very stiff and has no visible damage.

Need to ask Mike McCrea
about that canoe, he would know for sure. I have a new email address…sent it to you.