Name Brand Lettering

Does anybody care about the lettering put on a canoe by the manufacturer? I ask because one of the vinyl letters used to designate the model name started to peel a little. Rather than have a single missing letter I just peeled them all off. If I ever decide to resell does this missing lettering matter?

It is not a high end canoe and this seems like a silly question. But I have heard of other strange things affecting the value of something. As of right now I don’t have any expectation of selling but you never know.

Many people think that my custom name is the factory model name. I removed the “Assateague” lettering when I installed it. The lettering for “Impex” still remains, but is in poor condition and may come off when I polish it up prior to selling it.

I took the graphics off one of my kayak’s hull because I thought it was looking too NASCAR.
At the time it was built in Canada and included a maple leaf.
By the time I wanted to replace the name the kayak was being built in the USA and the new graphics didn’t include the leaf. I don’t think any body cared and you can have new ones made at any sign shop.

It could matter to some buyers who’d want to know what model canoe it is. Many manufacturers include the model name on the Hull ID tag (if there is one), which should alleviate the “what model is it?” concern.

I imagine that like n7zuq says it can only work against you when selling to someone with no experience looking for things to worry about…kind of like keeping your car 100% stock to comfort buyers. I intentionally took all decals off of two of my canoes mainly because I think it makes them look better plus I like to disorient people and let even experienced folks wonder what I’m paddling. When I sold one of them it went fast at full price to the first folks that looked at it because it was a great boat. I’d do whatever makes you happy and not worry about resale.

Thanks folks. Based on these comments I am going to assume the lettering is not important. I may even remove the rest of everything on there.

@Bill_in_TR said:
Thanks folks. Based on these comments I am going to assume the lettering is not important. I may even remove the rest of everything on there.

Maybe take a pic of it so if you decide to replace it you can match the font.

Years ago, I changed the name on one my many canoes from Wenonah to Wenonah-thin, but a year later I changed it back because I got too many comments from non paddlers asking what did we not know !

For me I would want the names on there.