Names

Cindy Lauper
No!

My Little Pony!

No!
Choco Yogo (for Kudzu’s Tempest)

Thanks
for all of the suggestions/comments!!

Right now, I think my favorite possible name is “Rosalita”, as in Springsteen’s song - http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/Rosalita.html

Still open for suggestions, but I think as someone said, I’ll see what kind of personality she has, and will wait until next summer to permanently affix the lettering!

If you don’t get it, you don’t get it.
It’s not about the material of the boat, or how fast she is, or how pretty her lines, it’s about the experiences you have on her, the part of you that you leave on her. One can be forgiven for not naming a brand new boat in the first few months you have her, but after a few years of experiences together, there is something soulless about not having some attachement to your boat.

I got into kayaking as another extention of my love of the water as a lifelong sailor. Sailors understand these things about boats, they are true water people with a deep lore and tradition in the sea. Many kayakers don’t come from this background, aren’t real salts, and so just don’t understand.

The first kayak I bought myself, in 2000, is an Ocean Kayak Frenzy. She ain’t fast, or sexy, but I love her just the same. She and I made passages out to rigs in the Gulf and back, crossed the Bay and back, fished together, surfed together, pointed out at the endless horizon of the Gulf and contemplated what was beyond together. I almost lost her in Ike, she was swept out of my garage, out into the bay, but them swept back into a pile of debris just a few blocks from my house. You’re damned right she’s earned the right to a name.

Where do you think

– Last Updated: Jul-27-10 12:04 PM EST –

Kevlar and resin come from?

Hint: They don't grow on trees.

:)

Alan

kayak name
My merganser greenland style boat I finished over the winter

“Dances with waves”

I plan on an aluet style boat for next year probably skin on frame.

i was thinking “wizard of waves” or “wave wizard”

something fun

'John"

CYNDI Lauper…
I knew that spelling didn’t look right.

“Girls Just Wanna Have Fu un”

Make it pink champagne
and breaking a bottle on the bow in this case is NOT recommended!

I always name my boats

– Last Updated: Jul-27-10 8:37 PM EST –

the red Feathercraft Kahuna was "Kokanee" (a species of bright red salmon)

the royal blue Feathercraft K-1 was "The Blue Bomb"

the purple, blue and white "tie-dyed" Dagger Magellan is "Jimi" (as in Jimi Hendrix, though I call it other choice names every time I have to load the damned 60 lb. thing )

the long narrow jade-colored Greenland SOF is "Willow Leaf"

But my new red FC Wisper hasn't "earned" a name yet

As far as suggestions for your new boat, I'm kinda stumped. Trying to think of long tubular pink things that aren't obscene....

"Pepto Bismol"?

"Oscar Meyer" ? (as in a boiled wiener)

"Rubrum" ? (after those bright pink lilies)

Better yet, I have a lovely potted plant called a Zephyr Lily which is the same pink as those L.L. Bean kayaks.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/bulbs-summer/zephranthes.html

That would be appropriate, since Zephyr is the name for a wind.

Yes, I like that: "Zephyr Lily"

Couldn’t help myself…
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1060582378041263145uZoiWV

Maid Melaph

Do you live in the South?
Pank Thang

Made by you
Is that an Absolute Kayak?

I have the kit sans the epoxy kit that I may sell rather than make. I just don’t have the room to set up an area to build it.

It’s good that I don’t go out to sea.
My boats have only the name that the builders gave them - the model name, that is.

I named one of
mine “liquid Therapy” and another “Thirsty Turtle”.

google for a list
of names…some are a stitch!

Plum Crazy

USS Purdy WWII Destroyer 69-71

what are you trying to say?
I call myself Swampthing because I am an environmental scientist & did my thesis on a local swamp’s fish & vegetation. So it was either that or Shrek, which my daughter calls me.

So you saying I smell bad? just kidding. I usually do.

naming
I’m sure once I get one it’ll have a name. I’m looking at the LL Bean 14’ Calypso. My local store has it in stock in orange. Hopefully they’ll have a sale in the very near future…I’d like to hold out for one but don’t know if that’ll happen.

Anyway, in terms of naming, I’ve always thought it important to see what the “personality” of something is before naming it. Have you taken your yak out yet? I’m a musician and (almost) all of my instruments have names. But I couldn’t just name it when I got it, I had to know what it’s tendencies were. So I’d hold of and see what your yak’s strong suits are and if it has a “personality” of it’s own.

Just remember with the champagne…don’t drink and boat! Always wear your PFD.