Nashwaak paddles going out of

business sale is taking place now. Special prices are in effect, and to find out what they are, you can email or call Nashwaak by checking their web site for contact info. The Nashwaak paddles are works of art, both in and out of the water. I predict that the Nashwaak paddles with be selling on Ebay for double their value in a couple of years. Last chance, if you like flat water paddling at its best, a Nashwaak cruiser paddle will do it for you.

I’m only giving advice, and in no way affiliated.

Happy Paddling, MickJetBlue

wish i was as impressed with them as you
i find many Grey Owls to be better designed, balanced and made. for a really fine paddle, coveted by many a Cdn freestyle canoe instructor, look no further than a Ray Kettlewell. i can’t believe he is still going, i heard he was looking to retire years ago, but his website is still there. awesome paddles.

however this is not to denigrate your preference for Nashwaaks, different paddles for different folks…

info source?
Just curious where on their website it says they are going out of business, or where else you got the word that that is the case. All I see is a holiday season/winter clearance.

Rumor mill in action again?
Nashwaak had some production problems a while ago, to my knowledge that situation has been corrected. Jeff Solway used to personally carve the paddles he sells. After many years he burned out on it and ceased production for a while. He subsequently contracted with a larger producer to have his paddles built to his standards & that’s what he markets now. As far as I know that’s where the business stands at this point.

Nothing about going out of business is currently mentioned at the Nashwaak web-site. Can you offer some substantiation on this Mick?

Direct e-mail from Jeff AND a long fon

– Last Updated: Dec-06-05 8:51 AM EST –

conversation with him yesterday. In fact those that were on the mailing list should have received at least 4 e-mails. This is the 5th time he has quit. Says that he is done-done this time. 30 years is a long time. Says he needs to move on. I can see that.

Jeff said that the business is established, viable, and could keep going and even expand, but he no longer wishes to do the extra time and money it would take. "Time to move on."

I placed a large order. :^) There was enough left for me, but stock is getting skinny. :^( Felt him out about possibly making one not in stock. He said that he is NOT making anymore, done.

For those of you that make paddles; there are still a few plans and instructions sets left I believe. And a few VHS tapes as well. I ordered a couple of each myself.

Sorry to see Nashwaak Paddle Company go, but fully understand as well.

Good luck in your new career Jeff! Thanks for all the Wonderful Cruising Paddles that made and will make so many relaxing trips even more so!

>:^)

Mick

Thanks mickjetblue
I appreciate the head’s up on this. I’ve been meaning to order a Nashwaak paddle for some time, this lit the fuse for me. This morning I ordered one of the last one-piece Cruisers in my preferred length. While I was at it I ordered a few other things as well. Those interested in paddles and/or other Nashwaak products should REALLY get with it – his stocks are running low. Once they’re gone they’re gone & he won’t be making any more.

Sorry to see yet another craftsman hang it up, but hey, we all reach a point… Like others at this thread I’ve had a few 180 degree career changes. Some times a person just has to move on. So it goes…

I wish Jeff the best with whatever he turns his attention to next.

Randall

Whew
I was saved by a lack of inventory. I am waiting on a new paddle I ordered last week and should not be in the market at all. However, I did email these folks asking about a laminated yak paddle. Lucky for me they did not have any left.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

Got last cherry yoke a couple days ago.

– Last Updated: Dec-09-05 12:41 PM EST –

I have wanted one of Jeff's yokes ever since I first saw them a dozen years ago. Paddling primarily solo canoes I just could not justify the expense. With going out of business sale it was I still want one AND they are not made anymore! Not sure where it is going to go. Most likely on the wall of the "nautical room" (our two story family room) or quick fastened in the Cheemaun that hangs there. Don't worry Mark. There will still be beautiful yokes around. I'll let you pet mine some day Mark. ;^)

My three shipments leave on the truck today. Don't worry as they are sending another truck to pick up your orders. ;^)

Have always loved those good looking and great paddling sticks from Nashwaak!

>:^)

Mick

Got a call from “customs” today.
Actually from FedEx from the border. They needed info to process my order through customs.

Yeah! New paddles before Christmas!!!

:^)

Mick

Chrismas Came Today!!!
Four boxes just arrived!!! Contents: Six Nashwaak paddles, Two Greenland paddles, Two sets of Nashwaak Plans, Two How To Build Paddles (Traditional, Nashwaak, and Greenland) Tapes, Two Omar Books, One Omar Tape, Two Tee Shirts, and Five Double Pocketed Paddle Bags.

Ok, Christmas is over now. Anything other than a new canoe (Sawyer Autumn Mist or Placid BoatWorks StarFire) is anticlimactical now! :^)

Mick

Sawyers…
I’ve been led to believe that a new Autumn Mist is available now. Would it be of the same dimensions as a 18 yr. old one? I saw some info in C&K’s buyers guide and was wondering…

Cherry Yoke report for Mark.

Tried out the Cherry yoke today. I put it up on my shoulders and pulled down on the ends while moving it around a bit to check probable fit.

The concave seemed to fit the shoulders well and should be comfortable with load of canoe. The circular part that is to clear the neck seemed a little shallow. Seemed to ride on my neck vertebra a bit, but of course only portaging a real canoe as load will tell for sure. Overall shape, looks, and fit :^)

The yoke seemed to be a little thick and heavier than I expected, but then I am used to very light weight stuff. Weight and thickness :^(

Mick

I think I’d like one of the black cherry
canoe paddles and one of the classic kayak paddles. They look pretty nice. It’s not too likely that I’ll be going further into debt to get one or the other though. Time will tell. I really would like a longer beaver tail.

Check www.sawyercanoes.com
www.sawyercanoes.com

Like Beaver Tail, but Otter Tails are
even better paddling for me. Ever tried one?

MICK

Actually, I may have the two confused.
I have an old Old Town that’s long with a rounded tip that I call a beaver tail.

Most companys don’t sell anything but square tipped paddles, so I may have my terminology confused. I’d like a longer version of what I have.

Mine looks similar in shape to the Nashwaak.

Paddle lingo
Hope it’s okay if I jump in here…

It sounds to me like what you have Yanoer may be what OT markets as a beavertail. You are correct in saying that many companies offer square tipped paddles. But there are actually lots of paddle makers who offer ottertails and beavertails. Spend some time on the ‘net and you’ll find ‘em. Look past the usual big manufacturers like Bending Branches, Mitchell, etc to smaller shops like: Turtle, Kettlewell and Redtail, among others, all make various traditional canoe paddle patterns. After you’ve paddled a few miles with a good traditional paddle you won’t want to go back one of those mass produced clubs with their blunt square tips and stiff, lifeless blades.

As to ottertails & beavertails… Different paddle makers have different interpretations of these traditional paddle designs, but generally speaking beavertails and ottertails fit the following descriptions:

A beavertail has its widest point low on the blade. This makes for powerful strokes since it grabs dense deep water. Typically the blade is about 28 to 30 inches long and anywhere from 6.5 to 8 inches wide at its widest point. The tip is typically a full round, but I’ve seen everything from rounded to almost square at the tip.

An ottertail generally has its widest point much higher up on the blade. From that high wide area the blade gradually tapers to an ovoid shape at the tip (usually). Ottertail blades are generally narrower than beavertails, typically they’re about 5 inches (or so) wide. Lengthwise the blades are often in the 26 to 28 inch range. By being narrow at the tip (in the dense deep water) they do not offer as much power, but are a lot less tiring to use. They are also a bit quieter than a beavertail.

All of the above is “fuzzy science” at best because there are no hard and fast rules and these paddle names are public domain. The origins of these two paddle types is lost in the mists of time… but native folks up in what became Maine and New Brunswick (Malicite, Pasamaquaddy, Penobscot, etc) are generally credited with both of these patterns.

It’s hardly a news flash but traditional paddles rotted away and were discarded even quicker than traditional canoes. There are very few (if any) pre-European contact paddles held in any museums – at least that I’m aware of. Even Tappan Adney (God bless him!) who in the end is the final authority on North American aboriginal skin and bark boats has scant few clues to offer on the paddles that propelled them. Thank goodness he recorded what he did!

As to the Nashwaak Cruiser. It’s more or less a beavertail in blade shape, but the lower portion of the blade is more tear-drop shaped than a typical beavertail. Randall

Can you post the working link
I get no responce from http://www.sawyercanoes.com

Thanks for that info arkay.