Naughty Question

Well, ok, it’s actually a knotty question… but the title got you here, didn’t it?

About four years ago I was playing around with some knots in a short length of rope I use for practicing. I came up with what I think is a new knot, as I haven’t seen any reference to this, even in the Ashley Book of Knots to the best of my recollection. I’m putting it out here because I know there are a bunch of you that are also very knotty and might give me some idea as to whether this is unique. If it is, then what? Is there some kind of “knot registry”?

Try it out yourself. It seems to hold very well and I remember it releasing without jamming. Other than that I have no reason to recommend this over any other accepted fixed loop.

Thanks for any hints you can give.

Looking at the knot It looks like it would be easiest to tie with the end that runs out of the photo. The short end of the rope in the photo would be the long part of the rope in practice. Haven’t seen this knot before, but then there are lots of knots I haven’t used. Though I can tie a wider variety of knots than many people I know. Knots are not something that interest most folks today. I guess when my dad called me a knothead growing up he knew what he was talking about! :smiley:

My Dad taught me the bowline. That and a half hitch take care of my knot needs.
Dated a girl once that was knock kneed, at least when I was around.

There’s former p-netter who’s name escapes me at the moment. He was a Duckhead paddler of long standing who had a wealth of great canoe knowledge and he used to post here frequently. I remember an amusing story that he told, in which one guy was walking his canoe through a shallow area and the painter line had been attached to his canoe with a “not”.

Sparky, it took me a few minutes to unravel your knot so I could reverse-engineer it - but I finally got it. I like it. It’s easy to tie and easy to remember, and it appears to be a good alternative to a bowline (resists shaking out, but easy to untie). In fact - it resembles what I’ve done when I couldn’t remember the bowline (only better - you have an additional loop). I might like your version more than a bowline. It’s kind of like a water bowline, but with the tail going out instead of in. Sorry - I don’t have and can’t find a name for it.

BTW - guys, you work it from the tail, just like any other knot.

@castoff said:
Looking at the knot It looks like it would be easiest to tie with the end that runs out of the photo. The short end of the rope in the photo would be the long part of the rope in practice.
I tried it that way and it’s much easier to tie. It seems really solid, too. Cool!

I’m thrilled to hear that it appears to be useful.

Does anyone care to speculate on whether the holding power would be different flipping the standing and working ends? I have to admit I hadn’t thought of using it the other way around. I tried it and in my very limited tests it seems to cinch up well both ways.

Since no one has immediately pointed it out as a _________ knot, first made popular in the 16th century by some flamboyant character, let’s tentatively call it Sparky’s Loop. I would be absolutely floored if a decade or two from now I saw it show up in a knot collection with that same name. :smile:

The knots used today have stood the test of use and time for their intended prupose. I am no expert, but I would do some drop testing with weight. I do know that a bend in the line or a bight does weaken the working strength. I think I have seen a table somewhere that shows how much depending on static loads and dynamic loads. I haven’t tied it yet, but do like the looks of it, and by swapping the standing and working ends it becomes a fairly easy knot to tie and remember. However I wouldn’t want to use it on something critical until I had some experience with it.

Oh, I’m not the type to use myself as a crash test dummy. I wouldn’t tie into a climbing harness using this knot. I am, and have been since I stumbled upon it, very interested in the characteristics compared to others that are more well-known.

Looks like a bowline with an extra wrap around before pulling down the free end.

called a locking bowline
used a lot with the crummy slippery rope sold in Canadian hardware stores

I think that would be a “knotty” question…

@roym said:
called a locking bowline

Are you making up the name? I searched and didn’t find any obvious references to it. At least nothing that resembled this knot.

@pikabike said:
Looks like a bowline with an extra wrap around before pulling down the free end.

Except the “circle loop” within the knot itself is built from the opposite leg than that of a bowline, which changes the whole principle of how it works and how it’s tied.

As to the main question, I’ll stick with a bowline, which not only has stood the test of time, but which I can tie and snug down in two seconds with my eyes closed. I don’t see this knot offering anything extra, and the peculiar structure which lacks the exceptionally “neat” appearance of a bowline makes me wonder about ultimate strength, too. There’s an old rule that says, the neater and simpler the knot, the better it works and the greater the strength (though I wouldn’t be surprised if there may be exceptions).

@pikabike said:

Hmm… sort of, and sort of not. I tied both and placed them side by side for comparison. They are indeed quite similar, this is true. The difference is in how the standing end is finished and when properly set and dressed doesn’t much resemble the classic bowline.

@Guideboatguy said:
I don’t see this knot offering anything extra, and the peculiar structure which lacks the exceptionally “neat” appearance of a bowline makes me wonder about ultimate strength, too. There’s an old rule that says, the neater and simpler the knot, the better it works and the greater the strength (though I wouldn’t be surprised if there may be exceptions).

I tend to agree, but still wouldn’t mind having a knot I’ve named. Redundancy and inferior variations haven’t stopped anyone else. :wink:

When I tied it with the standing end reversed, it snugged up nicely and looked very tidy.

@Sparky961 said:

@roym said:
called a locking bowline

Are you making up the name? I searched and didn’t find any obvious references to it. At least nothing that resembled this knot.

OOPS…followed the rope again in the picture…not a locking bowline.

My Sparky knot turned out quite neat, every time I tied it. I think it will actually hold quite well.