NC - South Fork of New River ???

I am looking for a scenic river (class II max)trip somewhere within striking distance of Asheville, NC. I started by looking for designated National Wild and Scenic Rivers and the South Fork of the New River caught my attention.

Does anyone have any experience on this river or have any other suggestions for rivers. I am looking for overnight or day trips and don’t mind driving.

Thanks in advance.

Pastoral Beauty but not Class 2
It does have some spots that some might call class 2 but I’ve seen it run in tubes and aluminum jon boats too.

It may be the most beautiful easy river run in North Carolina. If you like fishing for small mouth bass I’ve caught a lot of them there.

Zaloo’s canoes in West Jefferson is the local outfitter who can do shuttles or you can just rent the canoes from him and save the hassle of bringing your own gear.

Call to see if there is plenty of water this late in the summer. You may have to drag a few places. Lots of green marks from my Old Town on all the rocks in the river.

New River near Sparta N.C.
New river camp ground and canoe rental and shuttle

Put-in at Cox Chapel down to C.G. is 10 mile float

French Broad in A’ville goes past Biltemore[sp]

1-1 1/2 hours from A’ville… Tuck and Nanty

Tuck and Nanty ??
Say wha? Tuck and Nanty?

Paddling past the Biltmore and through Asheville sounds interesting.

Ditto what Frank said
but you need water, and right now it might be low.

Check with Zaloos

Jack L

Zaloos says 1.9 feet …
and said this is adequate even though it sounds low.

Thanks to all for the contact info and ideas.

That sucks !
You’ll be bumping rocks all the way.

I wouldn’t go with it that low.

Any thing below 2 is no good.

jack L

There are a few class 2 rapids at about
600 cfs, but they are still quite easy. What takes more skill is maneuving through shallow ledges at 300 cfs, and also approaching, sizing up, and then ducking or portaging the low bridges. I was able to solo about 18 miles in a day at 600 cfs, but would not want to try much lower.

Overnight Canoe Trips
I am looking for a 2 night 3 day trip for myself and my grandsons in August this summer.

We need Class I and II, no higher. We want as little flat water as possible.

Camping along the way. I realize August may offer some problems with water levels.

Anywhere in North Carolina, Virginia. We did the South Branch of the New Last year with Zaloos. It was good, but this year we want some “better” water.

Any help would be appreciated.