NDK Explorer Elite

Does anyone know anything about these boats?

I know that Elite means a thinner gel coat, but this boat is supposed to has a carbon fiber bow and stern.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Elite
The boat is manufactured with less core mat and with carbon / kevlar bulkheads & a carbon fiber seat plus minor appearance / cosmetic changes. There is some weight savings compared to NDK’s standard lay-up. IMO there is no functional difference between their regular and “Elite” lay-up.

NDK Explorer Elite
Just purchased a new one. Mine is about 10 lbs lighter then the standard range. It really makes a difference in loading. Only problem with the Elite is if you plan on doing a lot of paddling in heavey surf conditions. The deck is a lot thinner and probably wouldn’t hold up. It’s about $200 more than the standard layup.

Elite

– Last Updated: Mar-01-06 11:47 PM EST –

I have an Elite layup Romany. The gel coat is notably thinner than standard. Rather than full keel reinforcement, there is only reinforcement at bow and stern. NDK states, and I believe, there is one less layer of cloth (two instead of three)in the layup. Carbon/Kevlar bulkheads and graphite seat (though I have been told that new Elite layups no longer have the graphite seat). There is still reinforced 'rescue patch' foredeck. My Romany weighs at least 10 pounds less than any standard Romany I've hefted.

I am very happy with the boat, and use it as my day boat, pool boat, and have taken it surfing off RI. However, I would not take it for my paddling on the coast of Maine. I use my ProLite Aquanaut for rocky coasts and hard landings.