Necky Arluk IV - footrest and rudder question

Recently bought an old Necky Arluk IV in really good condition. It’s my first good boat with a rudder.
First issue is adjusting the footrest location - I can’t tighten down the track the rests are on. It looks like it has a set screw with a cap that tightens down into the groove, but the screw doesn’t seem to be long enough to tighten against the groove. The screw was really stuck, so I managed to get some lubricant on it and it freed right up. I’m going to try to find a new Allen screw a bit longer than the original, and see if that works. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something(?)
The other ‘problem’ is the (steering) cables for the rudder are attached to a block at the near end of the footrest plate, and don’t seem to have any connection to the actual footrests. I don’t know how to move the cables back and forth to change the rudder from left to right or vice versa. I always thought a rudder is connected to the footrests so you use your feet to steer left or right, but that’s not apparent on my boat.
Can anyone advise in simple terms :grinning: how this all works, or point me to an instruction source?
Thanks
Cheers
Barry

If you could take a picture, that would sure help. :slight_smile:

True​:grinning: I’ll take a few pics and add them. If the description sounds confused, it’s because I am :laughing:

It looks like the short part with the Phillips screw and a black (plastic?) thumb screw is meant to move to different positions along the aluminum bar with the holes by engaging the black thumb screw in any one of the holes. Is that correct? If so, that’s how you adjust the foot pedal position. That other round thumb screw looks like something someone added and I don’t think you even need that.

That’s a rudder cable attached. The peddle doesn’t latch anywhere. It floats controlling the rudder. Screw is likely peddle attachment. They balance between the two feet.

As Overstreet said, the foot pegs in the Arluk are not fixed. They slide back and forth to control the rudder position. The foot peg position is controlled by adjusting the strap that changes the cable length when the rudder is parked. The only way to fix the foot pegs is to not use the rudder and leave it parked in the stern bracket. The rudder pedals are kept from sliding back by a pair of bungees on the back side of the pedals to the front of the track.

Many people don’t like this system and prefer fixed foot pegs. Most boats today used a different system where the foot pegs are fixed and a gas pedal like arrangement is used to control the rudder, as in the SmartTrack rudder system.

In my Arluk 1.9, with the boat’s design and my weight, I almost never need a rudder except in very strong stern quartering winds and paddle with my thighs on the thigh braces and my feet together on the bottom of the boat. Unusual, I know.

The advantage of this design is that it lasts forever. I haven’t had to repair anything in 22 years as far as the rudder system. Last year I did have to reinforce the area where my heels were on the bottom of the boat.

The disadvantage of the gas pedal design is the complex way the cables are routed at the pedals with some designs. In my wife’s QCC which came with the SmartTrack rudder system, we had to replace the cables twice before the pedal assembly broke entirely. We replaced it with the Sea-Lect rudder system which our dealer and several friends recommended. It seems the be a better design and has caused no problems so far.

If you wanted to, your Arluk can be upgraded with one of the new rudder systems.

Thank you all, I now have an idea what to fiddle with and try. Plus the idea of replacement footrest mounting may be one worth pursuing. As you say, the design is original and obviously has worked for many years, but the SeaLect system may be an upgrade to something a little more modern. I’ll research the Smart Track and see if it’ll fit, too.
I’ll report further.
Cheers
Barry

OK, sorted! I now know how to adjust the footrests and rudder cables, and it all makes sense. I gave the surfaces a good cleaning and a shot of lube, the rudder now goes up and down as designed, and moves smoothly side to side.
I now need to do the same to my wife’s Seda, bought at he same time as my Necky, and likely of similar vintage.
Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated. I’m sure I’ll be back :grinning:Cheers
Barry

I tend to use a little WD-40 on the rudder assembly itself every once in a while, but Necky did not recommend using any lubrication on the pedal system. It tends to attract sand which can quickly wear down the slides and pedal assemblies. They just recommend taking a hose and periodically rinsing off the pedals and slides, especially if used in salt water.