Necky Arluk

Is anyone familiar with the Necky Arluk? I am looking to upgrade to a composite boat and found a 1990 Kevlar Necky Arluk (I am not sure of the specific model, maybe 1.8) for sale in very good condition. I am an intermediate level paddler with only experience in recreational boats so I am concerned about inital stability of the Arluk. I have not in-water tested the boat yet. How long do these Kevlar boats last? Is 16 years too old? What should I pay for this boat? Thanks!

Try it if you can
Life of a boat depends on exposure, usage, care. If the boat is in good shape and the price is right, say under $1000, take it. If you do no not like it, sell it later. You may even make some money.

Model?
I’ve got a few miles in Arluk’s. Find out the model, as there’s quite a difference.

Arluk
The owner is not sure of the model, he thinks it is a 1.8. How can I tell what model it is? Do you know which models were made in 1990?

Has an Ocean Cockpit (small roundish) Only Necky to have such.

let’s see,was that the skinnier version of the Arluks but with some rocker? I honestly don’t remember. Thereafter the 1.9 with some chines showed up. Anywho it’ll be well constructed, if you have no preferences it’ll tell you you need to learn how to roll. It’s another rudder dependant Necky, another experimental model of the year followed by another experiment with a rudder attached.

If it’s under $1200 it would be worth it, for $500 more there are all kinds of user friendly ruddered and skegged kayaks that will weigh more and have more primary stability from which to learn. Is there anything in the Paddler Reviews on a 1.8?

I went to the Necky site
and couldnt find the Arluk either in the active boats or in the retired boats?

a model a year

– Last Updated: Mar-14-06 7:33 AM EST –

Necky proliferated so many new models in the 90's it's hard to keep track. The Arluk III was the mainstay composite kayak in the late 80's early 90's with permutations coming out yearly,,the same happened in plastic boats in the 90's.
For some reason long hollow ends were plopped onto a decent hull shape with a rudder to correct for the problems caused by the ends. Arluks had a funny cork-screwing motion with waves from the stern. Basically a good economy and marketing program enabled them to experiment willy nilly on the original Arluk hull with the Lookshas and Elaho an acknowledgement that people wanted to be able to turn the kayaks without a rudder. The Arluks were the pre-internet kayak. Looksha the post internet kayak. The Chatham and Looksha V appear to have paddlers more involved in the design process.

Arluk 1.8
The boat is definitely a 1990 Arluk 1.8. The small ocean cockpit is the defining trait. How difficult is it to enter and exit the boat when launching with the ocean cockpit?

Wrong question

– Last Updated: Mar-17-06 10:43 PM EST –

You aren't asking the most important question. The issue with an ocean cockpit isn't whether you can get into it launching, but whether you can get back into it from a paddle-float type re-entry or a re-entry and roll. I am small enough to be able to still almost hop into a lot of ocean cockpits, but though untried I think I would probably be severely challenged to do a paddle-float self-rescue in a boat with an ocean cockpit.

The only self-rescue I think I could count on doing with an ocean cockpit would be one based on rolling. You are likely bigger than I am (I am 5'4") - may want to think about that potential part of the padling experience.

Owned two 1.8’s
and put many miles on them. Both were kevlar and became spongy after about three years of hard use. Foam bulkheads needed anual re-sealing, and neo covers needed replacing anually. I found the 1,8 to be a very efficient long distance boat. I also had Nordkapps, which I preferred overall. But, the 1.8 got the edge on 50 mile days. It’s a tracky boat that has reasonable handling. Mine were made without rudders, and they did fine. But they would be better with the rudder. Small cockpit was no big deal. Empty, a beginner will find the 1.8 tippy. Loaded it’s solid.

I wouldn’t own one today, as I think there are a number of better options.