Necky Looksha IV or CD Storm GT?

Keeping up with Tempests

– Last Updated: Aug-28-11 11:18 PM EST –

in the CH 16 - should not be a problem at all as you acquire a good forward stroke. What Salty said - even those of us who have paddled boats that are rated as slower than the more go-straight all around sea kayaks somehow found a way to keep up in a group.

Now if you were comparing the physical ease of maintaining a fast forward speed to something that is intended to go straight pretty fast as a priority, like some of the faster QCC's or more so an Epic kayak, you may feel a difference. But based on the Tempests in our group, the CH 16 should not be out of keeping (up).

You are also not a horrid drive from Popham Beach. This is not likely a destination right now - there are some basics to acquire before you mess around in surf. But when you are ready the CH 16 would be a really fun boat for that.

Thanks
Do you, by chance, have any experience with the Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 17?

Years ago tested one
for a magazine. Thought it was another fine enough kayak for it’s intended use. I recall that particular boat being composite and very resin rich, but i think it was a new model at the time. It’s kinda in that same era as the Looksha IV where multi-edged chines were “the latest and greatest” in consumers minds secondary to marketing. It’s a higher volume touring boat, floats, goes where you make it go, etc. If the price is right and you are comfy in it, it would work.

The thing is, there really aren’t a lot of bad kayaks out there. Most do just fine. Fit, comfort, and just feeling right about the boat as you paddle it are important.

As others point out, you can always get going with something and trade later. I’m getting started motorcycling with a KLR 650. Not the finest bike in the world, but it does the job, is cheap, and has me out riding, which is the important part. As my skills develop I’ll probably trade up, but by then I’ll do so with some better ideas about what I’ll want / need.

Good luck.

Nope
and if I did it might not be relevant for you. I am much smaller, for the bigger boats I have to rely partially on seeing how they work out for paddlers in our group. Since no one has a Cape Horn… aI lack information.

I will readily admit to being a bigger fan personally of the newer skegged designs, with low rear decks etc, than the older ones. But I do respect the older ones - they are honest boats that do their job.

Unstable?
I don’t know of anyone in our core group who has found the Chatham 16 too daunting to paddle re stability, and most of us are hardly instructors. A few years later two are now, but the one that fit into the CH 16 wasn’t when he demo’d it.

There is no reason that only 2 out of 150 people should have been able to stay upright in this boat. Yes it is fairly reactive - but it doesn’t capsize. It just bounces and that’s what a lot of sea kayak do.