Necky Manitou 130R for a heavier guy

I wasn’t talking to you. Go away.

Not my opinion. It’s a danger zone whether it’s all muscle or all fat. This is from a gov site.

There is a recently revised version of the BMI charts that is more realistic about categorizing weight. It still give the OP’s stats a 31 rating but classifies the BMI as “optimal for health” and not “obese”, and specifically explains why they rank it that way in terms of someone who is physically fit and active: http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=6&hi=3&wl=250&us=0&ua=45&ue=0&gl=225&di=3&dt=1

According to the link you sent it states:

"Your weight is at a moderately elevated level; in our view, it is no longer optimal for your health. Contrary to the WHO classification of “obese”, we hold the statement that you are only “overweight”.

Because no two are exactly alike I’d say that you can be heathy with extra weight if you exercise correctly and eat healthy, however in our society that is rare. In the case of the original post 5’11" and 240 is at a level where it can be dangerous. 6’3" 250 may be fine when you’re in your 20s or 30s but after a while your body will not be able to handle that kind of stress. Both the smart bmi and standard bmi scales are not an exact science but a ballpark scale to give us an idea of where we should be. We live in a very obese society so if we compare ourself to the average Wal-Mart shopper we think we’re doing pretty good. This shouldn’t be. We need to have some sort of standard so we can reach the goals for optimal health. What good is it to put money away in a 401k of we’re not going to be around to enjoy it.

I would say most people on this forum love to kayak. That’s why we’re here. We also want to enjoy the past-time/sport by being healthy enough to continue doing it. Unfortunately most people I know that are my age are fat, lazy and never do anything outdoors and it’s sad. They are missing out on some of the best things in life.

Thank you for sending the smart bmi calculator. I’m gong to look into it some more.

Dude seriously get over the whole weight issue and health. I really appreciate and understand what you are trying to say…but I would rather die younger and feel really good. I have very large people in my family and both my grand parents are in their 90’s…not everyone who is over their supposed weight limit is unsafe and are going to die like a ticking time bomb.Not everybody is built the same. If I was 160 pounds I would look like a skeleton with aids. I workout however I am not a powerlifter and lift smart along with cardio. I hold most of my weight in my chest/shoulders…and legs. I believe my arms are right around 20" now and lean(honestly when pumped and flexed;))…so again I am not a fat 240. I eat as healthy as ever and have perfect blood pressure. My Doctor really appreciates how I take care of myself and do not use steroids. I am a very healthy individual I do not care what you or anyone says about my weight…I also do not drink, do drugs, or smoke…and I am not willing to lose muscle in order to fit in a smaller kayak. I love lifting weights it gives me so much joy and also keeps my back strong as I broke it years ago when I was a super cross racer. Weight lifting is what keeps me going.

Anyway I found my Kayak…a Jackson Journey 14. I sat in one and fits perferct. I’m buying one next Week and cannot wait to take it out on the waters. :slight_smile: Unless I die of a heart attack from not being 160 pounds.

You can live your life however you want. It doesn’t effect me at all. Lifting weights to the point where you look like the Hulk is your business not mine. Even finding a doctor that thinks that’s healthy is fine with me. Sure I disagree with it but I still can have an opinion. You can blindfold 20 people and send them across a busy interstate and someone is going to make it but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
I’m glad you found a kayak. Jackson makes nice boats. Maybe one day I’ll swing down to the swamps and we can go for a paddle and maybe even a race. Let us know what you think of the boat after you give it a paddle.

One should never give advice-or listen to advice-about BMI as it relates to a single individual. It was never meant for that, and the people that invented it spent decades trying to get people to STOP using it that way. It’s for measuring the health of a POPULATION or entire country, specifically to assess malnutrition and famine, and it was devised to assist in decisions about providing food aid to countries or regions. It’s not that it is right or wrong when applied to an individual-it’s totally irrelevant. Let me repeat this-there is nothing about BMI that relates to the health of an individual. There are other meaningful ways to asses health at a glance (% body fat, for example, is at least relevant to overall health). And let’s be honest-anyone giving their height and weight here is doing so for the purpose of getting advice on boat suitability. They aren’t seeking bogus armchair medical advice.

Congratulations on finding a boat you like, SilentWaters!

The BMI is a standard scale that is used by health professionals every day. Those who don’t like the scale are usually those who rank high on it. Being underweight or overweight is unhealthy plain and simple. Does that mean everyone with a normal BMI is healthy? No, of course not. Smokers, alcoholics and those with a family history of being thin can be among the worst when it comes to health. Can you be above the normal weight and be healthy? Yes, of course. People who eat healthy and workout can be 20 pounds overweight because muscle weighs more then fat. That’s why the BMI is an average. Let’s face it, unless you live under a rock we see obesity everywhere. And it’s getting worse. If you don’t believe it, you’re blind and most likely in self denial. “5’11” and 240 with a little belly" is large even if he hits heavy weights. It may be fine when you’re in your 20s and playing football but when you age that will turn into health problems. This is not as an insult to him. He seems.like a nice guy, it’s about kayaking and enjoying your time off on the water, and doing it for a long time.

@DrowningDave said:
The BMI is a standard scale that is used by health professionals every day. Those who don’t like the scale are usually those who rank high on it. Being underweight or overweight is unhealthy plain and simple. Does that mean everyone with a normal BMI is healthy? No, of course not. Smokers, alcoholics and those with a family history of being thin can be among the worst when it comes to health. Can you be above the normal weight and be healthy? Yes, of course. People who eat healthy and workout can be 20 pounds overweight because muscle weighs more then fat. That’s why the BMI is an average. Let’s face it, unless you live under a rock we see obesity everywhere. And it’s getting worse. If you don’t believe it, you’re blind and most likely in self denial. “5’11” and 240 with a little belly" is large even if he hits heavy weights. It may be fine when you’re in your 20s and playing football but when you age that will turn into health problems. This is not as an insult to him. He seems.like a nice guy, it’s about kayaking and enjoying your time off on the water, and doing it for a long time.

As of now I am 15 pounds over weight in order to get rid of my belly…but still do I really want to buy a boat that will handle me when I am lighter then all of a sudden Thanksgiving hits I put on some extra weight then can no longer fit in my Kayak and have to wait until I get back on cardio before I can go out kayaking? ,lol…I am glad I came across the Jackson Journey 14 for whether I am over weight or even under weight. Awesome all arounder and will probably not be my last kayak. :slight_smile:

Thanks, DrowningDave. “Those who don’t like the scale are usually those who rank high on it” Veiled insult noted. Interesting that after saying that, you go on to back up my point-BMI is not meant for measuring the health of an individual, ever. This is according to the people that created it, not unnamed random “health professionals”, many of whom are obviously wrong if they are using BMI to measure health in individuals. If BMI correlates to other metrics, then use the other metrics. I hope to read this site for talk about boating, not shaming.

Spoken like a true leftist. There’s no shaming going on here by me. Funny how I can’t have an opinion but you can.

@DrowningDave said:
I wasn’t talking to you. Go away.

Well, I was talking to you and you were, and still are, being a jerk. One of the reasons that the forums see only a small fraction of the activity that they used to see is because many of the serious paddlers got tired of dealing with obnoxious comments like yours.

Let me guess, you’re fat and my comments offend you? Well get over it. I’ve made no insults to the original poster. My goal is to help him not offend him.
There’s people on this forum that don’t like canoes so why don’t you go and harass them for giving their opinion.

I paddle an Eddyline Caribbean 14 SOT with rudder. It has a weight capacity of 400 pounds. I am not a small gal, and have done a 5 day trip carrying all my food, water, and gear without any problems. This kayak is stable, fast, and handles well. These boats are used by offshore fishermen, so they can handle chop & surf…that’s actually what they are designed for.