Necky Manitou 130R for a heavier guy

I am getting ready to buy myself a decent Kayak. First of all I prefer kayaking further out into lakes and want something that can handle choppy water if I happen to get into a mild storm and also not tip over so easily when boats pass by…another words I am more of a “Touring” type of Kayaker…go out far and then just chill out and relax out in the open waters away from everyone. :slight_smile: I am not a fisher. I decided to go with a “Necky Manitou 14” and when I called “Backcountry” to order one the salesman tried hard to talk me into the “Necky Manitou 130R”. The reason being because I live in Louisiana where we also have many smaller beautiful areas in the swamp areas where this would be a better “all around’er” type of Kayak for myself that I can enjoy for years. My main goal is to have a Kayak that can handle bigger waves and choppier waters so that I can indeed go further out in places like the Lakes and have more confidence in not capsizing over too often…as well as an all a rounder for when I just decide to cruise the smaller rivers…but again touring is more important to me and stability for larger waves. etc.
Again I am loving the idea of the “Necky Manitou 130R” because of the whole “all around’er” type of Kayak that can handle plenty.

Here is my problem…now while the “Necky Manitou 130R” sounds absolutely perfect I noticed that the maximum load is 275 pounds. I am 5’11" and right around 240 pounds. I am not a fat guy I workout and am built stocky (with a little belly;) but still I am a somewhat larger guy. Now sometimes when I am bulking in the gym I can get up to 250 pounds easily…my point is the maximum load is rated only at 275 pounds! With my gear on I am 20 pounds heavier so I will be really pushing it not not mention I will be bringing a small ice chest with me for my lunch/water to drink adding slightly more weight. I am not planning on carrying much but with my weight combined every little thing will make a difference.

The salesman is swearing up and down that the Necky Manitou 130R will be perfect for me regardless of me being a heavier guy. It seems to me that my heavier weight would screw up the performance and handling of the Necky Manitou 130R…I could be wrong and the salesman might be right but what do I know.

IMO I really think I would be better off with the Necky Manitou 14 mainly because the load is rated at 325 pounds which is a huge difference…would the Necky 14 be a decent kayak for myself for touring in the lakes especially if the waters get choppy? and would this 14’er handle waves decently as well?

Any advice on this? Also would the Necky Manitou 14 still allow me to go out pretty far in the waters and handle decent even if the water is choppy and handle waves decent as well?

I have only used cheap rented recreational kayaks and canoes before in the past so I am not exactly a newbie to paddling…still though I want something to handle rougher waters if that should happen… but I really want a nice sit in that I can once again go out far in as again I tend to like the whole “touring” concept.

Thanks in advance.

Your BMI puts you way into the obese category so I would suggest dropping a lot of weight first and then find a kayak that fits your frame. Also, find a place where you can try kayaks out before ordering them site unseen. I sold a kayak recently that a dozen people said they could easily fit in but when they tried it on for size their butts couldn’t get past the rim. I also wouldn’t worry about waves too much. As you practice, your skill level will increase and flipping over will not be an issue. Necky makes great kayaks but so do a lot of other companies. Go out and test some of them. Good luck on your quest.

I am not obese but any stretch of the word I am a weight lifter…so if I drop weight that means I will have to drop muscle which I am not willing to do…I have a large frame it runs in the family but again I am not obese or fat…just a little belly but that will shrink down once I start my cutting…but I will still be large and wider,lol…but still I do appreciate your response…because still being bigger will make it harder if not impossible for me to get in this thing,lol. It would be wonderful if they sold more Kayaks in my area especially Necky Manitou’s. I am going to give this more time and find a Kayak that suits me decently and also does what I want it to do.

Thanks again.

The BMI scale does not take into account lifting weights to the point if resembling the Hulk. It is however a base for what is best for health. I am one inch shorter than you yet weigh 75 points less. I also work out every day and have almost no body fat (which includes no fat around the waist). 240-250 is too much weight no matter how big your bones are. Go with higher reps, less weight and eat a whole food diet (no sugar) and you’ll drop the weight quickly, then get any kayak your heart desires. It’s about health, not scaring away bad guys (although in a fight I’d like you to be on my side).

Yeah I understand…muscle or fat the heart still has more work to do to pump blood around that bigger body. I can diet down to 225 pretty easily…any lower than that is too small for myself. My diet is super clean I just take in plenty of protein which I can modify and lower…I only like simple carbs before and post workout (white rice) but still my food intake in general can be brought down…oh and of course up my cardio.:slight_smile: That weight is a 6 pack and all…as of now I have a 4 pack and the bottom 2 are hiding.lol It is fun bulking but yes you are correct…health is more important. :wink:

Thank you for taking my comments well. My goal is to help and not offend. I’m fast approaching 60 and have learned that trim and athletic is much more easily maintainable then big and powerful. How many healthy elderly men to you see that are big and muscular and have a spring in their step? Close to zero I bet. It’s not maintainable. The joints and heart can’t handle it. Look into Intermittent Fasting (Dr. Jason Fung has some great information on it) and not only is it super easy, it saves money and it works. Hope this helps. Viva la kayaking!

My feel is that you are too close to the weight limit for the 13R. Manufacturers sometimes list optimistic numbers on their specs, and if they are on the capacity spec here, then you will find the boat flounders in the water too much. It won’t sink, even if you add extra load and go a bit above the weight limit, but the boat will change the way it handles and performs. It may also get less stable.

The only way to know for sure would be to get in one and paddle it. But it sounds like you are ordering one from a distance away that would be shipped to you? So test paddle isn’t really possible? What you risk is an increase chance of buying a boat that won’t be right for you in the long run. A test paddle reduces this, but doesn’t take the risk away. The loss would be any value you lose if you have to resell the boat.

Given that you stated you have only used rental rec kayaks and canoes before, it may be good for you to take a day-long Intro to Sea Kayaking class before buying. It may seem like some repeat to what you have self-learned, but there actually is a lot to kayaking that you likely would still learn. When I teach these classes, I do make sure to cover boat and gear purchasing, so one has a start on what they would need. Plus, if you can find a place that sells Necky to do the class at, you hopefully could use that as a test paddle time.

I agree with Peter. And just for the record, my kayak is rated up to 230 lbs and yet I barely fit in it. There’s absolutely no way someone even 200 lbs could fit in it unless they’re 6’8". It’s way too narrow.

Look at a Tarpon 140 or 160. They are SOT that will handle your weight and the conditions you mention.
I use my 160 as a go anywhere, do anything boat.

@DrowningDave said:
I agree with Peter. And just for the record, my kayak is rated up to 230 lbs and yet I barely fit in it. There’s absolutely no way someone even 200 lbs could fit in it unless they’re 6’8". It’s way too narrow.

I am 6’ 230 and slip in my current Designs nomad 21.25" wide and I am comfortable. What do you have.

The Think Uno Max with a width of 17" and an inside of around then 15. I barely get in it and I’m 165. The 230 rating is weight, not volume. Current Design makes great kayaks and the Nomad is one of the best. My last sea kayak had almost the same dimensions and men that weighed less then you could even get in it. Maybe your scale is broken. :slight_smile:

car I road raced has a 17" wide seat and it is snug on me. Nomad is rated for 425 lb. but someone that size won’t fit! LOL

Having owned both a Manitou Sport and a Manitou13, I would go with the 14 simply because its a better boat. With the 14 you get 2 bulkheads plus the skeg.

@SilentWaters said:
I am getting ready to buy myself a decent Kayak.

Rent or borrow more boats before you buy one. Unless you get really lucky, you’re unlikely to select the right boat for you at this stage.

First of all I prefer kayaking further out into lakes and want something that can handle choppy water if I happen to get into a mild storm and also not tip over so easily when boats pass by

Virtually any boat greater than 12’ (give or take) with bulkheads and a skirt fits your criteria, given the paddler has appropriate skills. Almost all of these statements have more to do with your skill than your boat. If relying purely on your boat to ensure your safety under these situations, you lack experience.

I am more of a “Touring” type of Kayaker…go out far and then just chill out and relax out in the open waters away from everyone.

“Far” is relative. People have crossed the world’s oceans in kayaks. That’s much farther out in the open waters than I care to be. Are you talking less than a mile? A few miles to an island? Again, skill and building your experience is paramount here. However, seaworthiness of the boat is also very important if you’re well beyond the average person’s swimming distance to land.

My main goal is to have a Kayak that can handle bigger waves and choppier waters so that I can indeed go further out in places like the Lakes and have more confidence in not capsizing over too often…

Confidence comes much more from experience and skill than a boat. Your skills can heavily influence your boat preference, and there’s nothing wrong with buying a boat you can grow into either.

I know you don’t want to hear what I’m saying in this reply. You just want to buy a boat and get paddling. I know. Been there, done that. But with respect to you, coming from someone who was once in your shoes:

• Avoid paddling with others with questionable safety practices - you’ll only learn negative things here
  • Take a few courses from qualified instructors to learn skills and build confidence - reserve about the same amount of money you’ll spend on a boat to pay for high quality instruction
  • Rent, borrow, or test paddle lots of different boats - even ones you wouldn’t consider buying at this stage
  • Compare the thickness and quality of plastic of the Necky boats to others that are perhaps a bit better designed for rigidity, like Valley and/or Current Designs… especially in the baking hot sun

I sometimes catch a little flack for saying this, but it’s true so I’ll say it again. Not all that many people live near a place where they can rent kayaks that are of decent quality. Further, nobody who has yet to even get started in the sport has already accumulated friends who own decent boats which they can try out. Still, you might not be out of luck if you can’t follow the advice to rent or borrow in the recommended ways before buying. There might be a paddling club in your area, in which case maybe you can arrange to meet a few of the members someplace and try a few boats and get some decent advice too.

In the meantime, you can keep doing your research, ask your questions here, and then get what seems to be an appropriate boat on the used market, because that way you can recoup your entire investment if later you decide to switch to something else (or quit the sport altogether). And frankly, if you paddle a boat that’s not exactly the perfect choice, it won’t be the end of the world. You’ll actually be in the majority!

@Guideboatguy said:
In the meantime, you can keep doing your research, ask your questions here, and then get what seems to be an appropriate boat on the used market, because that way you can recoup your entire investment if later you decide to switch to something else (or quit the sport altogether). And frankly, if you paddle a boat that’s not exactly the perfect choice, it won’t be the end of the world. You’ll actually be in the majority!

I second all of this.

On asking questions online, do take with a grain of salt some of the answers you get, as they may not always be answering your question, and sometimes people who are responding are saying what they used which works for them, but still may not be appropriate for you (of the only tool you know how to use is a hammer, you’ll use that hammer to fix everything).

Used boats can usually be resold for what you paid, so buying one and suing for while is a cheap rental.

And I think many of the old timers here (myself included, if I count as old timer) will readily admit that they long ago sold their first boats. I don’t even like being in the same model I had for my first couple of boat any more.

Man I have been to 3 major Kayak outfitters and no-one has been helpful. I have to wait until a Month before I can test out a few kayaks but they are saying that more than likely they will be more of the recreational type of kayaks…also I do not want a SOT. Worst of all I cannot sit in any of them. Does not matter because they all have very limited selections anyway.

I have been looking at the “Wilderness Systems Tsunami 145”.

A decent touring Kayak for larger over 200 pound people like myself…at least from what I have read.

I got curious and found a plastic box that was just under 16" in width to see if I would fit in it (the dimensions on the Necky Manitou 14 for the cockpit are 16.5" and I fit in this box just fine with about 2 to 3 inches of extra space on my sides…still a huge gamble to order the Necky Manitou 14 and not fit in it lol.

Problem with my area in the South is everyone wants recreational boats and that is 99 percent of all I can rent. Most just go out and drink beer in the rivers,lol…not me I want a nice touring Kayak.

This will take some time.

Whereabouts are you located? I know of a Tsunami 145 in TN. It might be worth looking north or east or northeast for more touring kayak waters and making a weekend trip of trying some out…either at a dealer or rental company.

Find a store that carries real sea kayaks and at least sit in one. If you’re not comfortable you won’t use it. And don’t knock all SOTs. Believe it or not there are some really nice ones although most are the rental types.

@DrowningDave said:
Your BMI puts you way into the obese category so I would suggest dropping a lot of weight first and then find a kayak that fits your frame.

Thanks for being a jerk.