Necky Tahsis vs Elaho

Does anyone here own a necky Tahsis,or paddled one for any length of time? It looks just about identical to my Elaho ,except 2 ft longer and .5 inch narrower and possibly lower deck behind cockpit. I wonder if the Tahsis would be a faster but similar handling version of the Elaho. Though, the Elaho hull looks very much like the Eskia hull and they paddle nothing alike to me.

Rocker
I have an original Elaho and have paddled a Tahsis.

The feel of the two boats is very different. The Elaho has much more rocker making it livelier. As I recall the Tahsis is pretty stiff tracking.

Yeah
My recall too. We tried the Tahsis literally brand new - it arrived at the paddle fest still wrapped. The Necky guys didn’t have a chance to try it until that night, after the paying customers had left. Neat boat if you like going straight, but for all around paddling the Elaho may have better flexibility.

I have both an Elaho and a Tahsis.
My first boat was an Elaho. The boat I currently paddle most of the time is a Tahsis. In some respects they are similar, but the Elaho is easier to turn and the Tahsis tracks straighter. If you paddle in busy water with the Tahsis empty, it isn’t a boat you can relax in…it’s very tender. Fully loaded with gear, it’s a dream and quite fast. The Elaho, empty, feels more stable. I got the Tahsis primarily for multi-day touring. It’s perfect for that.

Tahsis
Hi,

I think I own the only Tahsis in the state. I am planning on writing a review this winter as I have owned her for 2 seasons. It is a wonderful boat. I have done several multi-day trips out of it and she is exceptionally seaworthy. For sharp turns, edging on one of the chines is definitely the way to go. Initially when I started in the boat it felt tippy. Primary stabilty is less than what a beginner desires; however the secondary stability is exceptional. The rougher the water, the more stable the boat became even when fully loaded. I have been in 3-5 footers coming around Sand Bay in the Apostle Islands and I was buried in a 4 foot wake wave by a tour boat at Pictured Rock and remained upright. This boat sits very low on the water which may or may not make you uncomfortable. Suprising I do find it wheather cocks a great deal so I tend to paddle with rudder down 90% of the time. I went with the seal-line rudder which is worth every penny.

My boat was one of the last in the kevlar/ carbon fiber ribs configuration with the wood dowel keel support (2003). I have reconfigured my back band with an ABS plastic for better life and back support.

I’m 6’0 F with size 10 feet. Fits like a glove. My whitewater buddies have tried it and have added that it rolls beautifully due to its narrow beam. I have spoken to a couple of boat engineers at Canoecopia to get a little more info on it’s design. The inverted hull is to reduce it’s water line and improve on speed. It is a fast boat! The overall design I was told is based on an Aleutian hunting kayak. The flared bow tends to stay above the waves. Once in a while the bow buries itself in odd conditions. Feel free to drop me a line if you need more information. This is a trully exceptional boat.

Regards,

Atomgirl

one more thing about the cockpit/deck
I almost forgot to add a safety caveat. You will not be able to get back in your boat in a traditional safety way. The back of the cockpit is much lower than the rear deck. You can stick you paddle and float assembly in the rear bungee rigging. It stays secure. I recommend a home made adjustable sling to wrap around the cockpit coaming. This has made a world of difference since I could not hold the cockpit coaming and the paddle with one hand even with a bend shaft paddle, there is no way to do it with the way the boat is curently configured. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Actually, I have done a standard paddle-
float re-entry in the Tahsis. It’s not as easy as with some boats, but it certainly can be done.

“…back of the cockpit is much lower…
than the rear deck”

This is also true of the Elaho, at least the original version. I wish all my boats shared this characteristic as it makes laybacks so comfortable.

Very true…
I’m fairly flexible and with the practice rolls I have done, I finished in a layback position. Might be seen as an advantage once I master some rolling. Thanks for pointing that out…

Tahsis vs. Elaho
Hi,

I have owned a Kevlar Tahsis. It is one of the finest kayaks made. I have won some races in the Touring Class. I made the biggest mistake in my life… I sold it for a great price, but I should not have. They are hard to find especially in a Kevlar.

I Own an Elaho now and it’s very similar in performance but not near as fast. Fun to paddle though.

Victor

KAYAK KAHUNA