Need a New Hand-operated Bilge Pump

I have that one, but it’s pretty big so I use my Beckson, which is about half the size.

That’s the Beckson model I have. Works very well.

1 Like

I’ve never measured the output, but it feels like there is not as much resistance while still moving a decent volume of water. If you want to wander over to Vashon sometime, you are welcome to give it a try.

“Thar’s no better bailer than a worried man with a bucket”

unless you have a tiny cockpit opening , I challenge you to pump water out faster than you could bail. a bailer is lighter than a bilge pump, costs little ( or you could make your own) , and has multiple uses too :wink:

Thanks for the idea.

The advantage of a pump, whether handheld or built in that it can be used without taking off a spray skirt, or at most with a hand held pump with only a small part of the skirt open. A bailer doesn’t do much good if you have to remove the skirt while waves continue to pour into the boat. That would likely be the case if the cockpit were swamped to begin with.

3 Likes

I think that you both have good points. I believe that a bucket can remove a ton of water more quickly than any pump. The thing is, like you say, a bucket is not an acceptable means of water removal for my situations. I need a good hand pump. Not a bucket. Not a foot or battery operated pump. I need something between probably 18" to 21" long, hand operated. I 've gotten some ideas and you Mr. Stevens, nailed it. Do you use the Beckson?

I also had the plunger fall off the end of the shaft inside on a Seattle Sports pump. Like you, I found that the screw which appeared to be holding the top on the pump was decorative, the thing was glued or welded together. I sawed the top of the cylinder off and chipped the pieces out of the cap, then pinned the plunger to the end of the shaft and re-assembled the (now shorter) pump. I bought a Beckson and the Seattle sports is now the spare/guest boat pump.

2 Likes

I’ve used (practice & real situations) this Beckson for years.
diameter: 1-1/4"; length: 18"
(note: the ‘snapshot’ is from when I purchased it (2007)).

1 Like

I just checked and I have a Beckson Thirsty-Mate that i bought with my boat 23 years ago. Has a semi-rigid foam collar for floatation which I don’t see on their site now. No flexible hose. Probably the only one they made at the time. Still works great, no problems.

About 19" long with a 2" barrel.

1 Like

I think that the float is sold separately.

Beckson 318P series is the kayak/canoe designed 8 gal/min pump.

The 318P1 model has the float sleeve factory installed.

3 Likes

That looks exactly like what I lost. Seems to me like what I should be looking at. Thanks.

1 Like

Whatever happened to those deck-mounted lever-action pumps? They used to be a thing.

They are popular on small sailboats. These might be possible to use on a kayak with modification.

This is the type often used on sailboats.

Seattle Sports pumps are not a crush proof as a beckson. They corrode and fall apart even though I cleaned it after each use. UV destroys clear plastic.

You can’t bail out of any kayak except a huge sink.