Need a New Hand-operated Bilge Pump

My Beckson Pump left my life abruptly along with my Progression. I need to replace it and I would like your advice. Note that I_DO_NOT_WANT_AN_ELECTRIC_PUMP and hope that this thread won’t become a soapbox for electric proponents. I am looking to replace my Beckson with something similar.

Who can recommend a hand pump that has met or exceeded their expectations and why?

Highly recommend the modular Seattle Sports pump. Can easily be taken apart for cleaning and you can buy new gaskets for a low price on Amazon. High quality. But I haven’t used mine since I got a deck mounted Chimp Pump.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I’m familiar with the brand but not that model.

I have an Aqua Bound Bilgemaster that seems good so far.

Haven’t actually had to use it to clear out my kayak yet, but it worked very well in a water fight during a kayak on a hot day last summer. . .

Though a friend was also using one and in an attempt to make it spray farther he was yanking up on the handle really hard and eventually his D-grip piece came off. I think he was able to get it back on and the pump still functioned.

2 Likes

The grey one with the red handle.

2 Likes

Beckson

2 Likes

Checking it out. Thank you.

I have the Bilge Master as well. Worked fine at my last wet exit. :smile:

I’ve had a basic Seattle Sport come apart inside and thought I could just remove the little screw and take an end off to see about fixing it . . . no way, no how. Screws came out but it seemed like the ends where glued on, couldn’t even get them to move.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

I second the Bilgemaster. I have one and it works great. Haven’t needed it on the water yet, but I did use it to empty my kayak after I left it on the roof of my minivan one night, without a cockpit cover, and it rained…

1 Like

Thank you!

Bilgemaster is the only hand pump I’ve ever had break…as with your friend, the handle is the weak point. I prefer the Seattle Sports pump which can be repaired, however also have 3 other versions all work well.

1 Like

Good data point. Thank you!

If you liked the Beckson, they’re still in business and readily available. Check Here.

2 Likes

We went with Harmony when replacing our old pumps. Easy to use and doesn’t snag easily. KA carries them. Might be a little short if your boat is very deep.

1 Like

I like the Beckson ‘Thirsty-Mate’ - narrow (diameter: 1-1/4" Vs 1-3/4" that most are)
If I only had one sea-kayak (no ‘sharing’ pump), I would probably get a foot pump.
(though would have someone else install it)

https://www.seamar.com/item/BOSG450SLWSK/KAYAK-FOOT-PUMP-450-W-SEAL-KIT/

1 Like

Thanks Ben_C. I think that NWOC also stocks them. Alleges that they pump 30% faster? Seems that the standard rate is 8 gal minute. What do you think? Is it faster?

I have considered a foot pump for quite some time but decided against the added fixed weight.

This makes me want to test out my hand pumps. I have about four of them, mostly different brands that I can’t even recall. Honestly, I just think they are all relatively “slow” and painful to use. But, I really should try to compare them against each other… Maybe timing how long to pump out a five gallon bucket.

sing

PS. I did look at foot pump and electric pump and think both are relatively heavy. I did end up buying an electric pump, after my incident with an imploded skirt in the surf zone. But, I have yet to install because I am vacillating about having that “fixed weight” added to my (already heavy) Dephin 150.

2 Likes

I have used Beckson pumps for over 30 years. At one time I had a native plant landscape company. I used the Beckson bilge pumps for irrigation projects and to pump out irrigation boxes. They will pump sand, silt and debris without failing.

2 Likes