need advice on foam for thigh braces

I have a Wilderness Systems Piccolo and would like to add some foam for thigh braces (it currently has no foam at all – just the hard plastic). Some varieties of foam come with adhesive on one side; others don’t. I wondered if anyone has opinions on pros/cons of different adhesives? Has anyone tried the self-adhesive foam? Has anyone outfitted with non-adhesive foam, and what did you use to stick the foam to the boat?

Thanks …

Have done both
For the regular foam I used a Dapp waterproof contact cement. I believe it is the one with the red label.

The contact cement is a good choice because after some wear you may want to remove and replace the foam and that is easier to do with contact cement than more permanent adhesives.

The self stick foam I got from NRS worked great. I also used some from Mariner Kayays that was basically the same stuff and it worked also.

Good luck. You will really appreciate the nicer feel of the foam instead of the hard plastic.

Mark

Have used self adhesive
and found over time and lots of use they came off and so added glue. Sometimes adding duct tape.

I use contact cement
I used to use weldwood, but for the past four or five years I have been using Marine Goop.

I found that even though it is a contact cement, you still have a slight wiggle room when you are placing it.

I just used some the other day to affix some 1/2" pieces of the gray foam to foot braces.

Jack L

Go with 3M adhesive
Many kayak boat builders swear by these 2 items

3M Foam Fast 74 Spray Adhesive

Bonds most flexible or latex foams

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive

Bonds plastics, foams, metals, fabrics.

Does the spray
on adhesive have to be sprayed on both surfaces. Asking because in some cases spraying inside the kayak is difficult without getting it everywhere. I vaguely remember that as one of the reasons I selected a liguid over the only spray adhesive I found at the time.

I have no idea what so ever as to the requirements for the spary adhesives you listed.

Mark

I’ve had some success using several
layers of thin self-stick foam where the contact surface of the thigh brace is complex. This can save both having to pre-carve a single piece of minicell to fit the thigh brace, and reducing internal tension in the minicell which might tear it loose from the thigh brace.

Using multiple layers also allows one to build up the padding by small increments, trying out the fit along the way. In whitewater boats, the fit can be sensitive, because one needs firm control until the time when one has to dodge the knees from under the braces for a wet exit.

Because of the higher expense of self stick foam pads, one has to pre-plan carefully to avoid waste.

thanks!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Looks like there are lots of options …

Barge Cement also works
It’s rubber cement intended for shoe repair, but it works well with minicell in boats. It is waterproof. You can either brush it on or smear with a gloved finger or flat stick.

Put on in a LIGHT layer, one for each contact surface. Wait a couple minutes, then press together. At this point, the glue will still be liquid enough to allow precise placement. If you wait until the glue is very tacky, consider it to be a done deal when put together. Clamp or tape the foam onto the surface while it cures (half a day to a day, depending on air temps and, probably, humidity).

I use a Sharpie to outline where the piece of foam goes, then smear the glue inside that outline. You can remove glue overflow, but it’s easier to simply not exceed the outline in the first place.