Need Advice

Hi all. New to the forum and to kayaking. I do have some canoeing experience from years ago.

I bought a SD Bali 10. I’ve only had it in the water for 5 minutes, but already I’d like something with a little more stability. I will be using it exclusively on the sound, right along the ICW. So a lot of boat wakes. I also bought a canoe to try. My thinking is use both this summer, then sell both and upgrade, depending on which works best. For now, I’d like to sell the Bali and get something 11.5 to 13’ with great stability.

I also want to fish some out of the kayak, so looking for room in the back for a milk crate or cooler and a space to mount a FF. A cess to inside the hull is also important, for installing eyeballs for anchor trolley, sail, etc.

I’d like to keep the price around $400 or so. Which means I’m likely looking for used. Anything that meets my criteria?

There’s some very negative reviews of that Sun Dolphin kayak here, so little wonder you want to dump it.

Go longer, 13’ at least. Sounds like you want a fishing kayak. Your best bet is to search your local CraigsList and when you see something of interest and have questions about it, ask here. You don’t give your location, otherwise some might have suggestions about used kayaks in your area.

Go to a fishing kayak web site and ask you question.

1. Look at forum menu. Fishing from kayaks.
  2. Look at Jax kayak fishing .com
  3. Look at Florida Sportsman magazine forums , "no motor " zone and ask your question.

I’m in eastern NC. Atlantic Beach area for using it, and live an hour away in New Bern.

I’ll take a look at some of the forums suggested. I’m searching Craigslist. But when I see something, I really don’t know if it would be stable enough. Are there reviews here of almost all of the more popular models? How about the Ascend FS12T?

@Jb2sea said:
I’m in eastern NC. Atlantic Beach area for using it, and live an hour away in New Bern.

I’ll take a look at some of the forums suggested. I’m searching Craigslist. But when I see something, I really don’t know if it would be stable enough. Are there reviews here of almost all of the more popular models? How about the Ascend FS12T?

The experienced paddlers here always advise that it’s the paddler that’s “tippy,” not the boat. Meaning that once you learn to relax your body and hips, learn the basics, and get lots of seat time in, you’ll feel more confident (we’ll leave Sun Dolphins out of that equation). I’ve discovered they’re right.

As to the Ascend kayak, lots of reviews here and at fishing forums. Sounds like it’s pretty stable if some boozed up “fat guy” managed to survive unexpected wind conditions while continuing his beer breaks (the first review at the following link):

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/bass-pro-ascend-fs12t-kayak/

Pros and cons from another site. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?11655-My-review-of-the-Ascend-FS12t

Disclaimer: I paddle a sit-in-kayak and know nothing about fishing kayaks, so hopefully someone with knowledge and experience will pop by.

After reading a bunch, here is a list of ones I’m thinking I should consider:

Native Ultimate 12
Manta Ray 14
Malibu X-Factor
Malibu Stealth 14
Malibu Extreme
Ascend FS12T
Malibu II
WS Ride 135
Heritage Redfish
Pescador Pro 12
Perception Caster 125
Olde Town Predator MX
Cobra Fish-N-Dive
WS Tarpon 120
WS Commander 120
Ocean Trident 13
Vibe Sea Ghost 13

I haven’t looked at pricing on them. Just very basic specs. It’s mainly just based on recc. on forums. I’m sure several are well over my desired price point, even used. But I’d appreciate comments on them. Particularly regarding stability. I don’t need speed, but I don’t want something hard to paddle either, since I’m sure I’ll be going against the tide on occasion.

You’ve done five minutes in a kayak. It was tippy. When you learned to ride a bicycle did you do good after only five minutes? Or did it take longer.?

Perhaps you need to get a rental sit on top for a few hours before you make any decisions.

It would be extremely difficult - if not impossible - to objectively compare a list of 17 kayaks. Just keep in mind the compromises involved in kayak design; generally longer means faster and better tracking, generally wider means more stable but slower.

Fishing SOTs tend to be built for stability. Many of them you can even stand up on as they’re designed as casting platforms. Many kayaks feel tippy at first but you’ll overcome that with a few hours - not 5 minutes! - of paddling time.

As I think you have discovered, Sun Dolphins are glorified pool toys. I don’t know a whole lot about fishing kayaks but my advice would be to go with one of the serious manufacturers, Native, Wilderness Systems, Ocean, etc. In the long run it will be worth it.

I only needed five minutes to know the SD was not for me. I want to try a better brand name, as you mention. Maybe all kayaks will feel the same way. Bu based on what I’ve read, I doubt it. I can’t imagine a kayak you can stand up in feeling anything like the SD felt. If they do, I’ll sell the kayak and stick with a canoe. But to give kayaks a fair chance, I believe I need to get one of the better ones as far as stability. I don’t think spending 3-4 hours paddling that SD is going to help my impression of kayaks.

I don’t like to rent things. I do normally research well before I buy. The SD was an impulse buy, partly because the same seller had the canoe as well, and I wanted to get both. Since trying the SD, I’ve read reviews until I’m cross eyed. I don’t think any of the kayaks I’ve listed are considered ‘bad’. I’m just not sure which I should remove from the list to shorten my choices. Once I’m down to a more reasonable number, I’ll do some further reading on each one before I decide. Of course, since I’m looking for used, the ones that pop up for sale in my general area would take preference. But I’ve already seen several from this list up for sale within a reasonable drive.

Well, I think you’re on the right track. Just read every review you can and thoroughly scan every ad you see. Hopefully something will come up for you.

You said you don’t mind renting but it might be a good way to try out a few boats to better give you an idea of what you want. Are there any serious paddlesports shops close to where you live? Many of them let you try out boats for a nominal fee; one close to me lets you try up to three kayaks at a local lake for $15.

@Jb2sea said:
I can’t imagine a kayak you can stand up in feeling anything like the SD felt. If they do, I’ll sell the kayak and stick with a canoe. But to give kayaks a fair chance, I believe I need to get one of the better ones as far as stability. I don’t think spending 3-4 hours paddling that SD is going to help my impression of kayaks.

You want a kayak that you can stand up in? That narrows your options quite a lot.

You should stop by the kayak shop in downtown Swansboro. They specialize in kayak fishing. If you don’t mind travelling a little further, Hook, Line, and Paddle in Wilmington has been around for a long time, and obviously specialize in paddlecraft fishing. These would be great resources for you. Buy from them if you want resources like this to stay around.

Get the Tarpon. I recommend a 14’ . WS lists it as a touring kayak. I have owned 4 and paddled them on every water type, even mild white water.
They are heavy but not as bulky or clunky as most fishing kayaks.
A great SOT for anyone less than 150 lbs is the RTM DISCO.
Very quick but stable

I’m guessing the Tarpon will be over my price range, unless I get really lucky. But everyone seems to like them.

CapeFear, I’m hoping to get to Swansboro tomorrow. If so, I’ll definitely stop in the kayak shop awhile. I didn’t know there was one there! So thank you for that.

We stopped in after NC Paddlefest in April. They helped with the kayak fishing tournament. They’re in the downtown area, not on the highway.

Ugh. Just read this, and I already went to Swansboro this morning. I stopped at the one on the highway. They really had nothing but sea kayak type stuff there. They said because people have trouble with the current at their location, so the sea kayaks are obviously better at handling that. I’ll go to the one downtown next time I’m down that way. Is it close to Casper’s Marina?

Well, I never got back to the kayak thing last year. too busy working on the house down there. But I want to get something now that the weather is warming up. I did sell the SD last year, at least.

I think I’m a little more knowledgeable now than last year (about kayaks, at least). I had decided on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 used after looking through postings on all of the above kayaks. Hard to find used, but I did find a 2016 used one local for a decent price. However, in reading reviews, there were some problems with the 2016 due to thinness of material. I called Vibe and they will not warranty any problems at all if you buy used. That really surprised me. They admit it is a known problem, but they will not cover it. They say it is due to the fact they have no control over how the kayak was used if not purchased new. I sort of understand this. But if there is a known problem in a specific area, you’d think they would cover it. That does not speak well for their reputation as a company. As far as I’m concerned, that also kills their resale value. And the same applies to their 2017 and 2018 models. I haven’t completely crossed them off the list, as they do have a lot of nice features. Mainly the included rudder. I guess I need to decide if I would buy new instead of used. But I’m trying to keep the price down. I’ve decided to bump my price into the $600-700 range for used.

Here is my new list of possibles:

OK Big Game II
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
Malibu Stealth 14
Malibu X Factor
Feel Free Moken 125 Angler

Again, stability is my #1 concern. I will have to fight tides where I am, so nothing too hard to paddle. And I don’t want a barge weight wise. I’ll be moving it on my own. But It will be on a rack and I only have to move it 15-20 yards to the water.

I live ~90 minutes from you, outside of Greenville NC. I have a Hurricane Skimmer 140 , WS Tarpon 120, and a WS Attack 120 for sale, in the barn. All are in excellent to like new condition. Message me off the board. We have access to other kayaks, as well.

@Jb2sea said:

…Again, stability is my #1 concern…

You should also understand that stability in a kayak is not a simple thing. A wide, flat bottomed kayak might have high initial stability but its secondary stability will be much poorer than a typical sea kayak. And while the flat bottomed boat will be stable on calm water, waves will push it around and may well make it far less stable than a sea kayak that is able to ride those waves.

There is an excellent article on stability here…

https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/information/kayak_design/kayak_stability

Medawgone, got your message. When I consider weight vs capcity vs stability reputation, I believe I’ll stick with one of the ones on my list above. But tell me if I’m thinking wrong.

kfbrady, I looked through the article you linked. But too scientific for me! I do understand the idea of initial vs secondary stability though. That is mentioned in many of the various kayak reviews.

I’ve eliminated the last kayak on my list. So I’m down to four choices. Two of those four I’ve found for sale used in my area. But I think the price is too high on both of them, for used. I am thinking hard on getting the Vibe new, since used ones carry no warranty at all, and the other three used are going to cost pretty close to a new Vibe. Between the four that remain on the list, any comments on which of those would be the most stable? Would I be able to stand reasonably easily in all four?