Need bits for 2004 WS Tempest 170

I just picked up a WS Tempest 170 in poly. Good condition and it fit my size 13 feet! Paddled nice and it was cheap so home it went. It came with a terrible seat but the original seat pan and leg lift bits are still there. I need to put something on the seat pan ( a little bumpy) and get a backband just to feel tucked in.Also the rear hatch cover is missing. I did find one that I think will fit, just slightly (1/2") shorter.

1 Like

Check wilderness systems, some of the bits and bobs can be directly ordered from them.

anything that can’t be bought from the directly you can get from topkayaker.com (where wilderness systems re-directs you to.)

I guess you realize you’re missing the seat pad. As Craig pointed out, topkayak is a good source. Go to Google and enter Wilderness Systems 170 Tempest parts list. You’ll find this layout with a listdescribing available or nomlonger available. It sometimes offers an alternate source. Buying direct from Wilderness is easy and you’re getting direct source (at least I got factory parts). TopKayaker is a grest source, but there are others. Make sure of model year fitment. When you buy the seat pad, make sure you get the push pins. Backband should be an easy fix.

There are articles on alternatives

Hope you followed a few recent threads that include the 170 Tempest alongbwith comparisons to similar boats. I wasnt expecting some of the results. Trade paddles and experiment. Don’t buy a high end paddle until you hammered out all the dislikes you identify in your current paddle.

Note: part 28 is not avaliable from WS.

If you have questions, ask. Pursuing some parts can be unnerving. I couldn’t find the webbing support that adjusts the back.

I bought a new “scratch and dent” Tempest 170 a few years ago and the rear hatch cover that came with it also seems about 1/2 inch too short. I can stretch it on but it doesn’t feel very secure. I searched online for a replacement in case I ever needed one and found that Wilderness Systems doesn’t offer replacements. They direct you to Topkayaker.com, which is sold out. I couldn’t find any other brand hatch cover that would be close enough, so getting the replacement hatch cover could be troublesome. I’m not impressed that Wilderness Systems doesn’t sell a replacement hatch cover for a kayak that’s currently in their model line.

Here’s a picture of my cockpit so that you can see what it looks like with all of the pieces in there.

1 Like

Great point and agree. Too many parts are either obsolete or changed to make fitment an issue. As discussed in another thread, the difference of one meae makes a skeg a $100 difference.

That reminds me to putbin a olugbfor local outfitters. I traveled over two hours to Blue Mountain Outfitters in Harrisburg, PA to buy the seat cushions, rather than on line, simply because they stocked them. Support your local shops. Turns out that a few of the parts were cheaper than on line, and I could check figment by comparing the old part. Much to my regret, Shanks Mare near York, PA recently closed. Permanently.

I appreciate the help so far. I was able to source a rear factory hatch - $100 to my door - ouch! Will mount an Amazon backband that I have used before that is enough to keep my butt on the seat. I lined the seat boittom with minicell foam I had lying around. Much better. I had to flush the skeg wire which was loaded with a lot of sand. Not fun. Made and mounted small Kydex keelguards since I often launch on an oyster shell beach. As for paddle I have a 220cm Werner Kauai (like a Cyprus I think). It seems to work fine. I was able to test paddle the Tempest in light chop and 15 mph wind for a quarter mile or so prior to purchase. Nice local seller. I had researched a bit and for a boat with a skeg and fitting size 13s this model kept showing up. Found this boat on FB marketplace for $280 within walking distance of my house. I live 4 hours from major metro areas where most kayaks can be found, so the selection is limited.

1 Like

Good price. That is a problem with skegs. Maybe you could try launching with the bow on the beach so the stern gets more flotation. I lift thd boat with both hand to get off the beach. @Craig_S just put keel
guard tape on his boats and seemed happy.

Are you sure about your paddle?

Older comments look like the model reviewed is a high angle paddle, so maybe Werner discontinued it and rebranded another model.

Here it is.

Probably around 95 sq inch. So should be easy on your shoulders.

Pretty sure according to mfg. Got it from my SIL who had it for long time. It was one piece with a 60 degree feather. Ugg! I had to send it to Werner to shorten it and get the smart ferrule. It is the carbon at 751 grams. I tend to be mid to high angle unless it is very shallow water. Zero feather. It never bothers my shoulders. I also have a spruce GP I will be trying as well.

Kauai specs from catalog

You can replace it with a Manta Ray for $179.

I bought the Werner 2 years ago. No intention of replacement as it is lighter anyway. But this one looks like a good lower cost choice if I were looking.

1 Like

I have both the Accent Kuiai (Carbon shaft Poly blades) and the Aquabound Whiskey (Carbon Shaft, Glass blades)

The Accent is my beater, it’s mostly indestructible, and my Whiskey is my goto go fast right now.

Though to be truthful, I’m still on an experimentation journey. I know for my strength and paddle style where my blade area needs to be now I’m just fine tuning shaft length.

the manta Ray was a consideration of mine when I bought the 2 Whiskey’s I have and I caught them as Blem’s and on sale so I think I only paid that for them but they were 26 oz. as opposed to 31oz. and I knew from my Kuiai, I wanted a lighter bat.

1 Like