Need Help Choosing ROMANY Replacement

but you wont be
but your boat will be

All that and more, Salty…
but there is a positive side to it as well, I usually get the premium tent site because my boat empties faster and takes only a trip up the beach while my gear commuting friends take several trips. I really fear for them when it is one of those ankle turny cobble beaches filled with wrack or other slippery things. Then out comes the hardbound nature guides, The Captain Nemo binoculars, the seven pot cook kit, yesteryear’s tarp that started life out as a wood pile cover, rural blue, the pole collection, the axe for firewood, triple D cell flashlight.

Meanwhile my tent is up, boat is tied down, a small cup of Bowmore perched on driftwood, my camp clothes on and feelin good, the bag is lofting and oh, here comes Smedley with yet another load of gear from the Chilco he bought to haul it all in. I raise my cup, saluting his commitment to his gear, praying he’ll be an early riser so I won’t have to wait an eon to launch in the morning. But, he got a good deal on all of it I think.

Dogmaticus

Diferent folks, different loads
While I sit here watching the snow pile up and thinking about how to go about camping this season in the new Anas Acuta, this thread reminds me there always seems to be two types of folk who engage in outdoor pursuits/camping. Those who are at home outdoors and really don’t need much and those who aren’t and feel a need to bring “civilization” with them. Add those who enjoy eating complex meals or who like to take along equipment for a hobby and the amount of gear that sems needed varies by a huge amount.

Personally I’m in the tarp, quick meal, minimal stuff camp and I think I can see more with less effort and just become part of the landscape more that way which provides huge aesthetic enjoyment. Still, to each his own.

“staring at all the crap…” :slight_smile:
As one who grew up on long, self-supported alpine backpacking trips with my father (often 2+ weeks at a time), I can really appreciate your comment about “all the crap” that we can take along in our boats; for all the reasons you mention. At the same time, though my camp packing mindset is still happily based upon my backpacking background, it is nice to be able to take along the occasional luxury item (“luxury item” being a relative term, of course). A bit of additional cooking gear, privacy tents for instant outhouse/shower usage, etc.

At the end of the day, while I admit to enjoying the occasional luxury that boat camping can accommodate, I do still prefer a relatively minimalist approach to “camping crap”. There’s already too much crap to deal with at home…so why take it with me when I’m getting away from home?! :slight_smile: Of course, my boats of choice also help to keep my mind focused on packing efficiency, as I do seem to prefer fairly low volume boats (at least relative to some of the truly large “expedition size” boats floating around).

Melissa

dog…
You screwed up the screen!

Grayhawk, I know that and I feel…
embarrassed about it. Sorry!! Won’t happen again, wouldn’t be prudent.

Melissa,

You and Salty nail the issue from my perspective. Nimble, athletic boats are so fun to paddle. I’ll save the complexity for a Walla Walla syrah, or an Islay single malt, but do my best to keeping complexity out of the camping equipment. I would so much rather have a Romany or an Acuta on a trip than the SS Gear Schlepper, Panamax class.

Dogmaticus

2nd the recommendation
I’ve had very good experiences with the Kayak Sport as well. May add one to the fleet for my fiance to paddle on camping trips instead of her Romany.

Agree about the Millenium
I’ve had mine for about a year and a half. Fast, handles big stuff easily and smoothly and can carry loads of stuff. It’s awfully pretty too.

Andy

Scorch; other questions to consider
-when do you want to do your trips

-where; mostly on Superior where you live?

-what do you like to bring with you, what is non negotiable?

many on this site distinctly prefer an alpine approach. do you want to bring rubber boots because you go in early spring? do you like an extra large tarp? are you often the leader on your trips or expect to be? how do you sleep outdoors after a tiring day, do you want/need an extra large sleeping pad? do you want to go in the cold, and need more insulated clothing? do you solo often?

all these considerations will play into the size of boat you will want. there are a solid handful out there, many mentioned, that will carry lots of extras, if you want them. answer for yourself all of the above before deciding on the size/volume of tripping boat you want. given your size, you have your pick of just about any boat out there. i wish i was so lucky!

Consider a Nordkapp H2O
I’ll submit this for consideration ‘at my own risk’.

Nordkapps
at least the ones I paddled don’t offer much more space!

it is
I went on a camping trip with a friend who was paddling a Millenium,it’s a pretty boat.

The Nordkapp I own and the Romany I own
have similar space. You won’t benefit an awful lot with the Nordkapp, it has fine ends. A little more room, but not a whole lot. You’d get more out of a subscription to Backpacker and hawking that sleeping bag with the little deer printed on the fleece and getting a down Marmot bag.

Dogmaticus

Space, Glide, Personality…

– Last Updated: Feb-16-07 5:32 PM EST –

I am not taking issue with the more seasoned paddlers who have weighed in on this thread. I'm simply relating my experiences and observations.

I wish to reiterate my feeling that you shouldn't replace your Romany, but rather supplement it.

My Aquanaut has much more room for packing than my Romany. The 'naut being a Valley boat it also has the advantage of bigger hatch openings which are easier to pack through. My wife's Explorer LV also has more packing room than my Romany.

(In addition to food, camping, and safety gear, safely marginning minumum recommended 2 litres of water per day per person along with the waste from Leave No Trace camping can result in significant haulage. )

The longer boats mentioned all have more glide than a Romany. Some say the difference is negligable. I am not an advanced paddler and feel the difference pushing my Aquanaut versus my Romany.

Comfort and feel of every boat is different. Though considered less reassuring than my Romany, I feel more comfortable in my Aquanaut on long paddles, when I'm fatiqued or comfronting challenging condtions. This is highly, if not wholly, subjective. A number I know would choose a Romany over any other boat for just about all uses.

Among the coaches I know best, most use an Explorer for just about everything, one uses a Romany.

You CAN do everything with your Romany. You may WISH to have the variety of experience of another boat for some activities.

Confessions of a boat slut
I’m the last guy who is advocating a one boat fleet, rather I’m one who has a boat for any occasion I participate in. However, the boat I paddle most, a Romany, is just fine for most of my sea paddling, including 20+ mile paddles with friends, rock play, weekend touring, whatever. I don’t “feel” any different after 20 miles in it as I do in my Nordkapp. After running through a bunch of rocks, stopping to drink water, take a picture, whatever, most trips with friends I’m on do not hang onto the slavish details of drag figures at 3.5 knots vs 4 knots, discussing the pro’s and con’s of volume in the bow or stern, or does a donut really have rocker? Those guys in the “fast” boats seem to get there roughly the same time I do. That’s why I chime in on these “fast and efficient” tangents. If you are paddling with a wing and a highly espected “fast” boat and your sense of group cohesion is based along the lines of how small you want to become to the mere mortals behind you as you fade into the horizon, read no more. For the typical sea kayaker who goes on a 3-5 day trip with a few friends along the coast I just don’t seem to have any less fun than the guys in the “fast” boats. Ok, maybe I’ll pine for the glory days of cub scouts when I had that Big 5 sleeping bag with the red checked flannel and giant whitetail bucks printed, but I’ll keep my misery entirely to myself.

Why not make your gear hauler, if you must have one, a folding boat? That way your trips are not limited to your automobile’s range.

Dogmaticus

But Scorch, do you have…

– Last Updated: Feb-16-07 4:57 PM EST –

"a sleeping bag with little ducks", another one "with deer on the fleece" or any "with the red checked flannel and giant whitetail bucks"? So in that case the Millenium might be it - but I rather doubt you are traveling with that much of a menagerie. That'd be a lot of pet food to carry.

Seriously, assuming that you can assess your own storage needs... back to the idea of having a boat that feels different. The Explorer will increase your carrying capacity, will be a bit more efficient to paddle, but won't really be a different experience in how it is seaworthy. If you need to increase space over the Romany but want to get something that'll do a little more in the latter category as well, you might want to try out one of the boats mentioned from a different line.

If however you just can't imagine wanting to be in conditions in anything other than a stretched Romany, the Explorer would be the way to go.

If a person can’t make…
…a Nordkapp work for trips of at least several nights, I hate to say it, but maybe it is time for a ‘Backpacker’ subscription. :slight_smile:

A kayak seems voluminous after 20 yrs of mountaineering. But, it’s like having a Suburban vs. the Civic–with the ‘burb’, you just throw a bunch of stuff in there. With the Civic, you pack much more carefully and amazingly, the essentials usually end up fitting.

Scrutinize every item taken if you’re having trouble fitting gear in your boat–get small, light, compactable, high quality, reliable, functional gear that you WILL use on a trip. If folks don’t want to do this stuff, then get a bigger boat as many do.

Check out this solo trip with a Romany Explorer:

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~walpole/OPExpedition.html

Dogmaticus
That was one terrific post. Your experience, BTW, matches what those silly drag data illustrate. I have had the same experiences as you describe… Freak!

More efficient at what?
Cruising along at 3-4 knots? Not likely

Heavy wind? No way!

Rock gardening and surf? No way!

Playfulness? No way!

Carrying more stuff? Definitely!

Celia, in reading your comments often I believe you have some mis-conceptions about efficiency. I believe you to be very brite based on what I read. I’d encourage you to do a web search on kayak design, efficiency, etc., and read some of the material from Winters, Broze, Guillemot, Sea Kayaker, Gronseth, Barton etc.

For example, an understanding of Frictional Resistance and Residual Resistance is something few have… In an hours time you can “get it”. Confirmation Bias prevents a lot of understanding. Go beyond your circle of influential, and kind hearted friends and test some of these principles. I think you’ll be suprised at what you find. All the best.

kayak camping in any kayak
There’s a good article by Brian Day in one of the most recent editions of SK magaxzine. He’s paddled in the Aleutians for weeks at a time, so he knows something. Some of his points: the cockpit represents the biggest area for lost or wasted storage space , so line the bottom of your cockpit with gear ( water containers, your thermarest, etc.) Get an under deck compartment. Use an outer vest which carries personal and emergency stuff (North Water Makes one). That way, you’ll have it when you need it or if you should be separated from your boat. And a low volume sleeping bag makes a big difference, so don’t get a 20 degree bag if you only need a 40 degree one.

Other than that, you can’t go wrong with an Explorer. or any of the other boats mentioned! I know someone who camps out of a Pintail, he’s still alive, and appears to be quite happy.

As with all the other talk (chines, length, rocker, “forgiving”, “unforgiving”, hull speed, and on and on) its (yawn) the paddler not the boat.