Need help finding seal skirt

-- Last Updated: Sep-05-14 1:20 PM EST --

I am going on vacation in less then 2 weeks. I really need some help finding 2 seal skirts for my Sun dolphin Aruba 10. I have found many online but I have no idea what size I need. I tried looking up the sizes but it is very confusing.

Here are the specifications from there website. Any help would be much appreicated

SPECIFICATIONS:
Length: 10' / 305cm
Width: 30" / 76cm
Height: 13" / 33cm
Weight: 40 lbs. / 18kg
Capacity:

250 lbs. / 113kg
Cockpit Size:

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)
17" W x 35"L / 43cm x 89cm

Why not get them from Sundolphin?
http://www.sundolphin.com/10-ft-kayak-spray-skirt/

Seal doesnt show one
They don’t show one listed for your boat

##Kayak Manufacturer

SUNDOLPHIN

##Kayak Model

Aruba 10Aruba

YOUR RESULTS

SUNDOLPHIN Aruba 10

Nylon Sprayskirt & Cockpit Cover Size: Seal Only

Neoprene Sprayskirt Size & Cockpit Cover Size: Not Available

don’t need anything that fancy

– Last Updated: Sep-03-14 11:44 PM EST –

You don't need a fancy tailored or neoprene spray skirt for a $250 Walmart rec style kayak. You should not be using it anywhere that you need a spray skirt for anything but paddle drip and mild splashing since it has no bulkheads. A basic adjustable nylon skirt will work fine. Backcountry has the NRS Basic for around $38. They are out of stock on the Medium size but the Large would work fine, only an inch difference in width will not matter at all once you tighten the bungee barrel lock.

http://www.backcountry.com/nrs-basic-nylon-sprayskirt?CMP_SKU=NRS003A&MER=0406&skid=NRS003A-BK-LDECWAI&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&mr:trackingCode=68B35031-1F83-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=47794360621&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=76847516821&mkwid=s8NdFuBgO_dc%7Cpcrid%7C47794360621&gclid=CjwKEAjw-JqgBRCAyqjoic27nlQSJABBTpFExvqxh3nq6tFZAfeJydKR6F57Pz3ABInp8zny-OwrHxoCfZLw_wcB

More important would be to buy a set of flotation bags at the same time to fill out the hull -- no spray skirt will keep that boat from swamping and sinking in a capsize and without float bags you will be unable to recover and reenter the kayak in water deeper than your waist. You need two of these for each kayak:

http://www.backcountry.com/harmony-flotation-bag-rec-kayak?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6a2F5YWsgZmxvdGF0aW9uIGJhZ3M6MTo0OmtheWFrIGZsb3RhdGlvbiBiYWdz&skid=HAR0223-SI-M

Not sure about OP
I’m not sure the OP was referring to the Seals brand of “spray skirt” and I’m not sure the OP isn’t just trying to be funny.

ty willowleaf
I assure you I wasnt trying to be funny. I ended up buying 2 http://www.backcountry.com/nrs-basic-nylon-sprayskirt?CMP_SKU=NRS003A&MER=0406&skid=NRS003A-BK-LDECWAI&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&mr.

Just because someone doesnt know the Lingo doesnt mean there trying to troll.

ty willowleaf for the help

apology
On re-reading your original post I see now you were using “seal skirt” to mean “spray skirt.” You probably didn’t know that one of the most well-known makers of sprayskirts, including high end ones, is called “Seals”, which is why there was the confusion. They are also the maker that has the most comprehensive model/size chart, which further muddied the confusion.

If you got the sale price on those that’s a good deal for a basic skirt.

This is an old discussion but could anyone that has purchased the NRS Nylon Sprayskirt for use on a Sundolphin Aruba 10 tell me what size they got?

[M] 31-36 x 17-19 in
[L] 34-36 x 18-20 in

@PeterO said:
This is an old discussion but could anyone that has purchased the NRS Nylon Sprayskirt for use on a Sundolphin Aruba 10 tell me what size they got?

[M] 31-36 x 17-19 in
[L] 34-36 x 18-20 in

Measure your cockpit and buy the one that fits. If it’s 17" wide x 35" long the “L” won’t work well. Neither may work well if the combing isn’t made for a skirt. Cockpit combing looks wrong for a skirt on the Google picture of that boat.

Skirts run $50 to $250.

Seal skirt…note that Greenland skirts were first made of seal skin.

Most of the low end recreational style plastic boats don’t have coamings (the cockpit lip) that are designed to effectively hold a spray skirt. They tend to be too thick and rounded and are just there to keep splashes onto the deck from washing into the hull. It you get a skirt that is snug enough to make a tight deck to shed drips it may easily pull off and one too loose will sag and collect water, possibly imploding and dumping a lake into your lap.

If you are intending to paddle in conditions where you really need a skirt. it would be better to upgrade to a touring kayak that is designed to actually support a skirt.

Sundolphin Aruba’s are barely more than pool toys. I personally would not take one out in water that was deeper than my waist or more than 20’ from shore. I’ve paid more for a good spray skirt than those Arubas cost at Sears.

+1 on what @willowleaf recommends.

Also, recreational designs have large cockpit openings, and with the coated nylon - rather than neoprene - that inexpensive spray seat are made from, they typically collapse when the first wave hits them.

These Sundolphin boats just weren’t designed or meant for anything but very calm weather and even then you shouldn’t be going farther from shore than you can swim. Rather than spending money on a spray skirt, put it towards a more capable kayak.

Paddle safely!

@Overstreet said:
Seal skirt…note that Greenland skirts were first made of seal skin.

I thought it was they stuffed baby seals around the cockpit rim.
I may have read that wrong…