Need help fixing a canoe

How can I fix up a canoe that had been painted over and then i want to make it water worthy again. Thanks for the help!

We need more information

– Last Updated: Jun-21-07 2:26 PM EST –

Pilgrim. Whats it made of?

FE

Sorry
I belive its an old Ceder canoe though it is a Old Town canoe

Well, Pilgrim

– Last Updated: Jun-21-07 2:48 PM EST –

congratulations on being de proud owner of wood/canvas canoo (ah' assume it's wood/canvas). First off, those woodies are infinitely repairable, jus' takes work. All depends wat state of disrepair its in. Is de canvas still good? Ribs an' planking good? Stems an' gunnels OK? It may jus' need a new paint job or a complete rebuild. A good book ta give yer some idee wat yer be up against be...

The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to Its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance
by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow.

Ah' done went an' restored me first one 35 years ago, last one a couple years ago an' jus' about ta start another. Thaar be a few other fellers here on P-Net dat do restorations too. Give me a hollar if ye have any questions on de details.

Fat Elmo

paint
if it is a wood and canvas canoe, the paint is an integral part of the waterproofing. If the structural parts of the canoe are in decen shape, it is not too bad an undertaking to recanvas and repaint.

Survey . . .
Congratulations. Hopefully you will take good care of that canoe.

Avoid anyone who suggests fibreglass covering. Wood/Canvas canoes are very highly regarded. Glass covered ones are generally not.

I have no idea where you are located, but if you find the job is too big you could likely find a local craftsman to help.

To give you an idea of what might be required, here is a link to a highly regarded builder/restorer in Manitoba (Red River Canoe and Paddle). If you click on “restoration”, then “survey sheet”, you will have a list that you can use to give your canoe a good look-over.

http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/frames.htm

survey sheet: http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/frames.htm

Good luck - hope it works out for you.