Need help with choosing roof rack

We are trying to figure out how to haul 4 ClearWater NuNu kayaks (9’6" long/43# each) on our 02 Odyssey mini van without breaking the bank. We aren’t going far to start- just a few miles to the water. We have a factory rack and crossbars. I am looking at the Thule stacker 830 because it says it can hold 4 kayaks and it will fit on our existing crossbars. The 4 kayaks will go over the 100 load limit on the crossbars though. Then I thought maybe we could put 2 of the kayaks on the stacker and trail the other two by somehow modifying our sailboat trailer.

Three questions:

1. How serious are the weight limits on a roof rack?
  2. Will the 830 Stacker even hold any of these kayaks? (Some sites say whitewater kayaks only.)
  3. Any suggestions other than a $1000+ trailer or getting rid of the two kids?

Thanks!

Try Yakima
I have had excellent service from Yakima racks of all types, I am sure there is an option for you on thier website.

Harbor Freight Trailer Kit
You can do like I did. Go to your neighborhood Harbor Freight store, or go on the Harbor Freight web page.

You can buy a Trailer Kit for under $200.00. It is basically a square frame, tounge, and wheels /springs/ lights.

You can then build a rack on it to hold the boats.

Works well…

Wouldn’t trust the factory …
… cross bars with more than one boat. I’d get cross bars fro Thule or Yakima.

Some thoughts
1. How serious are the weight limits on a roof rack?

They may or may not be real in engineering terms. They are very real in insurance liability terms. If you are carrying stuff in excess of the manufacturer’s stated weight and something does happen that leads to property damage, injury or causes an accident, you can be absolutely certain that your insurance will refuse to pay.

2. Will the 830 Stacker even hold any of these kayaks? (Some sites say whitewater kayaks only.)

Probably.

3. Any suggestions other than a $1000+ trailer or getting rid of the two kids?

You state that you are only going a few miles. Make two trips.