Need HELP!!!

Me and my oldest son have been kayaking for a few years and we have decided to get a canoe for us to paddle around and do some fishing. So I shopped around and found a used Old Town Discovery 169. From all the research I done on this canoe I felt it was a great choice for the two of us. So here is what I need help on. We took it out a couple of days ago for the first time and it was not what I was hoping for. The canoe was very tippy. Was not stable at all. We did end up flipping it twice. Is this normal canoe behavior or is it something we are doing wrong? I really like the idea of canoeing but I was hoping it would be similar to kayaking. Please any advice to make the canoe better would be great! Thanks!

It isn’t the canoe. I refurbished one for my son. He puts his wife , 2 kids , and the dog in it and paddles with no problem.
It sounds like you have too much weight too high above the water. Did you try sitting on the hull?

Sorry its you. You are normal for new paddlers… In the canoe world that one is stable . Its favored by liveries because it is stable.
How did you flip it? Getting in or out or while paddling.
Some instruction would be most useful. Lowering the seats helps but that may not be possible with rotomolded seats.

Entering your head goes in first and you kneel upon entering then push up to sit… Head goes our of the boat last… Head should always stay inside the gunwales while underway.

It is new to you and the higher center of gravity has got you scared… If you are persistent and remember to breathe( Its true that tenseness can cause you to upset) you can get over this.

.1.When you are paddling it, make sure you are not leaning over the side
2. When you are paddling on one side, your son should be paddling on the opposite side. After X amount of strokes or if the canoe starts to turn, the stern paddler calls "hut"and you both in unison switch to the opposite side (if you are both paddling on the same side, and you both lean over at the same time you’ll probably go for a swim)
3. See if you can find an experienced paddler to watch you and see what you are doing wrong.

Yes, the Disco 169 is pretty stable as canoes go. Since you bought it used, it is possible it has been modified. The seats should be suspended a couple or few inches below the gunwales if you plan to paddle it from a seated position. If they are not, they might have your center of gravity too high.

You will feel much more stable if you paddle from a kneeling position, but just be sure there is enough clearance between the bottom of the seat frame and the hull floor that you can easily get your feet out if you capsize.

In a tandem canoe, you sometimes have to be prepared for your partner to make unannounced and sudden weight shifts and roll with the punches. Obviously, you should both strive to avoid sudden shifts in weight when paddling.

@kayamedic said:
Sorry its you. You are normal for new paddlers… In the canoe world that one is stable . Its favored by liveries because it is stable.
How did you flip it? Getting in or out or while paddling.
Some instruction would be most useful. Lowering the seats helps but that may not be possible with rotomolded seats.

Entering your head goes in first and you kneel upon entering then push up to sit… Head goes our of the boat last… Head should always stay inside the gunwales while underway.

It is new to you and the higher center of gravity has got you scared… If you are persistent and remember to breathe( Its true that tenseness can cause you to upset) you can get over

The first time we flipped was when we was getting in and the second time we was coming back in and flipped about 10 feet from land. While we was paddling it just seem so rocky. Definitely different than the kayaks we are use to. I’ll just keep trying and maybe it will click. Thanks

Thanks for all the advice! We will just keep practicing. Maybe it will click with us. We got the kayaking down so I’m sure we can get this.

Videos please…

Above advice. More time and sit lower down. This is why I feel that canoes are in some ways safer than kayaks to get the attention of new paddlers. Most basic kayaks will allow for greater paddler error than a canoe. Always step to the middle line when getting into a canoe and shift your weight over that spot quickly…

Maybe you were digging in too deep with the paddles. Old school was longer paddles than currently. Try paddling with your kayak paddles.

When entering canoe keep low, slow and put feet to center of boat. Try kneeling. If nothing else sit on the floor, like a kayakish paddler.