Need more info re: Hemlock Peregrine

Have read the reviews on paddling.net.

Also Kim Gass has been helpful.

Anyone else on this site that could give me some feedback.

Besides all the other attributes I need a canoe that is “tuff” as I sometimes do shallow water exploring. I’m careful and never drag a boat but with time every canoe picks up scratches. The Peregrine comes in a S-glass outside layer. Normally that should be pretty resistant to wear.

Right now I’m favouring the Wenonah Argosy in Royalex (44lbs) but the Peregrine at 34lbs is interesting.

Another interesting boat is the Souris River Tranquility but feedback is difficult to come by. The Souris River boats have a rep for being quite wear resistant.

Koach

river vs. flatwater
Koach, isn’t the Argosy a river boat for the most part? The Peregrine shines on flatwater. The point of the Peregrine was to make a boat that was solo but could keep up with tandem paddlers on lake paddles. It’s very sturdy and weighs little. The gelcoat is all the protection I need when I let it drag up to shore or paddle over submerged branches/debris. It’s not a river boat though. It’s a foot longer and 10 pounds lighter than the Argosy you mentioned. And I believe the Argosy has more rocker and higher sides than the Peregrine. If you’re interested in a Hemlock but plan on rivers, take a look at the SRT.

Seems like apples and oranges to me.

On dragging glass versus Royalex,
I have both, and I don’t think there is much difference in wear rate. The outer vinyl layer on Royalex actually scrapes away somewhat faster than the surface of a non-gelcoated glass boat, but there is usually a lot of vinyl to wear through. Royalex hulls can pick up long dents under whitewater abuse, while glass hulls may get shallow scratches, but sustain cumulative hidden damage in the laminate.

The surfaces of both kinds of hulls can be restored to some extent. When the vinyl wore off the bottom of my WW open boat, I put on a two layer S-glass/epoxy patch to keep the ABS from being worn down. The S-glass is showing only shallow scratches when the boat gets dragged across rocks with my weight bearing down over the patch area. Of course, glass boats can be patched in the same way, and when done carefully, such patches add hardly any thickness and little weight. You can even use carbon, and/or mix graphite powder with the resin, so the patch is fairly slippery.

Peregrine
is a great flatwater boat. I own the Kestrel which is the downsized version of it. Great boat. Great builder. Tough boat. If you want a great solo river boat look at the Swift Osprey. In kevlar expedition it is very stong and is more fun than the Argosy. The Tranquility is a dull boat and I sold mine within a couple weeks of buying it. Different strokes.

My reply

Thanks everyone for your input.

Maluso,

Yes, Wenonah markets the Argosy as a river boat. However it’s actually a great versatile boat. 2.25’ rocker in front and 1" stern rocker. That is modest rocker for a river boat. I’ve had the chance to paddle one in open water in wind and waves and it handles really nice and travels at an acceptable pace.

groovymanatee,

Your the first person that I’ve heard from who, having paddled both the Osprey and the Argosy, prefer the Osprey to the Argosy. I’ve had private messages from 2 other people who have owned both Osprey’s and now paddle the Argosy out of preference. Would appreciate if you could elaborate your opinion. We all have different needs in boats. Thanks.

g2d,

That also my experience regarding Royalex vs Kevlar/glass. What I really like about the Royalex is the way it makes hits feel softer, no float chambers and of course the noise factor. It’s is heavier.

Thanks again guys,

Koach

now the real solution is
to be able to find and paddle all those boats back to back.

You might check out the schedules at www.freestylecanoeing.com

If you are in the area of any of those (and sorry none are right by you but one is darn close but in July) you might just find all three right there.

I did at AFS in July. Those three being the Osprey, Peregrine, and Argosy.

Sometimes opportunity to get your hands on one is the deciding factor.

Personal preferences
on boats and the places you paddle. My short time in the Argosy left me feeling the Osprey had better secondary stabilty, less depth and therefore less windage. I am not a fan of royalex boats, however they do have their place. The Hemlock boats are beautifully constructed, durable and will turn with minimal effort. The Osprey will be out in a new layup. It turns on a dime, can be parked at the rail and is very dry due to extensive flare. It is also faster than the Argosy IMO. I paddle swamps, rivers and open estuaries with my boats so WW is not my thing, The Argosy may be the boat for you but if lakes are your target maybe a Peregrine might fit the bill.

Sounds like …
the Perigrine is more what you are looking for relative to speed. The fit and finish is impecable. It will manover nicely, but may not be as nimble as the Argosy. I have little experience with both so I will not too strongly urge one way or the other. However, if keeping up with friends in other boats be solo or tandem is important, then the Perigrine has the edge. If crossing lakes is a what you do, again the Perigrine would shine in efficency and sea keeping (in my opinion). If creeks and rivers are the mainstay, perhaps the Argosy gets the nod. Resale value may give the edge again to the Perigrine.

I think the Perigrine is lighter, very stoughtly built, and is an excellent open water tripper that does manover nicely.

Just my opinon however,

Brammy (Bob B. Solo tripping)

Or A Placid Boat Works Rapidfire.

not he is too tall for a kneeling
Rapidfire…great sit in it boat but not great when you are tall and want to kneel.

The Argosy has a Kruger shape…its kind of like the shape that a baloon filled with water takes when filled and put on a table…its full at near the bottom. It does heel, but it falls away in stability near the rail. It didnt strike me as a quick boat at all for 14’6…acceleration and glide werent there. This is something you might notice if your primary use is on flatwater. Sitting paddlers really like this boat…pretty firm when empty.

The Peregrine firms up a little better. That is if you are a kneeling paddler like me who plays with steering via knee pressure as well as paddle placement. Sitting paddlers find this boat a little tender when unloaded. Of course there are exceptions in people, and this doesnt bother the experienced paddler. I have a hunch the inspiration for this boat was a kneeling paddler.

Thanks to all
Every bit of information picked up here will help me make my final choice.

koach

If you don’t mind kneeling
If you don’t mind paddling on your knees and are seriously considering the Argosy do yourself a favor and try the Osprey. It’s the best do all river, lake, whitewater, wind, solo canoe I’ve ever paddled, poled and sailed.

The Peregrine is a sweet lake boat too. The premium layup is plenty tough.