I’m looking for some recommendations and hope that I’ve come to the right place. I plan an annual trip - backpacking, paddling, etc - with some friends. This will be our 11th consecutive year and we try to visit a new location each trip. In terms of river trips, we’ve done the Colorado (AZ/CA), Manistee (MI), Big South Fork (KY/TN), and Buffalo (AR). Other years were spent backpacking (MI, WV, IL) or paddling lakes (NY, MI, NC). The more remote we can get, the better. I’m looking for ideas for our 2018 trip. This is our basic criteria…
- We’ll likely be going in early October (but could possibly do a May trip if river levels would make or break a great trip)
- Trip length will be 4 day/3 nights - but don’t mind a shorter trip in terms of miles and spending a day in camp (hiking, fishing, etc)
- Would like to find something within a 10 hr drive (in any direction) from Columbus, OH.
- We have a BRIS 15ft river raft and several kayaks. We’d love to use the raft (although not looking for a whitewater trip) - but also willing to rent equipment from a local outfitter if necessary — NOTE: a little float-dragging is ok if it means we can use the raft
- The more remote… the better. Need a trip where primitive camping is expected - we don’t want to camp in an established campground each night
Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m hoping someone has a hidden gem that I’ve overlooked in my research!
Thanks in advance for anyone’s ideas/suggestions!