Need Sandals

Check out the Chackos with NRS straps. A friend just got some.

While it’s nice that they are made in the USA and that Chaco is donating $13 per pair to the “5,000 Miles of Wild” fund, even with the annual 10% REI rebate these are still over $100 a pair for rubber and nylon sandals. But then I had not recently looked at prices for these sorts of footwear and a c-spot seems to be par for the course for them anymore. Wow, quite a price escalation from the 29 cent flip flops we used to wear all summer when I was a kid/teen. How well do these things hold up?

If you have Sierra Trading Post retail store nearby that’s where I’d go. Recently got a decent pair for $10. My new favorite clothing store.

@willowleaf said:
While it’s nice that they are made in the USA and that Chaco is donating $13 per pair to the “5,000 Miles of Wild” fund, even with the annual 10% REI rebate these are still over $100 a pair for rubber and nylon sandals. But then I had not recently looked at prices for these sorts of footwear and a c-spot seems to be par for the course for them anymore. Wow, quite a price escalation from the 29 cent flip flops we used to wear all summer when I was a kid/teen. How well do these things hold up?

I’ve got two pairs of Chacos with the sole splitting apart where the straps go through. Been awhile since I bought those pairs though. Looks like they just need to be reglued. Been meaning to send them to Chaco for repair - not sure how much that will cost, but I think it will be worth professional repair. The Chacos are orders of magnitude more comfortable than the cheap flip-flops of childhood! Got painful blisters between my toes every summer walking to swim lessons in those flip-flops. Chacos have the best arch support of any sandals I’ve found. NRS and other sites sometimes have clearance sales on Chacos, so if you’re not in a hurry and not picky about strap pattern/color you can find Chacos for under $100.

2nd the arch support. Very good.

I find Chacos to be extremely comfortable, and I love the arch support. My wife thinks they’re very UNcomfortable, though. I got my last two pairs off of eBay for less than $50. The sole was starting to separate on my latest pair (after 4 or 5 years of use.) Plumber’s Goop fixed it.

Truly comfortable sandals are hard to find – I’ve gotten blisters from several models of the nylon webbing versions, even those lined with neoprene. Maybe I’ll try on a pair of Chacos, since they seem to have earned a lot of fans, here and on other forums. I’ve got Chaco wading boots and they seem to use a last that suits my feet, at least for those models. I admit that the abrasion potential of nylon webbing like the NRS straps (which are woven with that texture to “grab” better in the spring-loaded buckles for boat hauling) on the rubber soles concerns me.

As to fit, I learned during my years fitting and selling outdoor footwear for an outfitter that there are certain manufacturer shoe lasts that fit certain foot morphology and don’t fit others. I always caution people to not get too attached to any brand of shoe until they’ve tried them on. Things like toe box depth, heel and ball width, location and length of arch support and height of instep vary greatly from brand to brand and even among models within an given brand. Less critical in sandals than leather hiking and climbing boots due to the adjustability of the straps, but you can’t put an orthotic or arch supporting insole inside a river sandal so the molded sole has to be really tuned in to your foot structure.

As I’ve gotten older I find that my entire skeleton responds to the “right” or “wrong” positioning of my feet in my shoes. The “wrong” insole support can cause knee and eventually hip joint pain with even a small amount of walking.

When I get a new pair of nylon webbing sandals, the first thing I do is put them on, get 'em wet, then wear then until dry. It’s always worked for me, but everyone’s different so…

You folks have heard of wet shoes–right?

Chaco Unaweep Z1’s are literally all I can wear for any length of time without pain, thanks to weird feet and the ravages of zliions of miles of walking. Thanks for the feet, mom. Unfortunately like all good things that I love Chacos change over the years. Straps can be different, they don’t have the great Vibram soles they used to have (although an inferior type of Vibram is a custom option) . The Chaco soles wear out waaaaay too quickly. Still, they’re the best. I could never wear a Z2 though. My big toes gotta be free as my little fellers,

I have no idea what an NRS strap is though, although NRS sells them.

Just FYI, zliions is even bigger than zillions.

Oh, now I see. NRS straps say NRS on them.

NRS straps are pretty much the same as Thule rack straps, heavy duty 1" webbing with a rough texture that holds well in the same kind of spring-loaded buckle.

I don’t like open toe sandals, to dangerous. For Sandals I’m a Keen guy.

Not familar with Chaco, but I picked up a pair of Teva sandals (with toe, I don’t like open toe) and they are going strong after three years of pretty heavy use

I’m on my 2nd pair of Keens . If I live long enough I’ll have another.
I have used NRS straps for years and they have never let me down.

@BrianSnat said:
Not familar with Chaco, but I picked up a pair of Teva sandals (with toe, I don’t like open toe) and they are going strong after three years of pretty heavy use

I think Teva sandals are indestructible. I have a pair of the originals. Wore them climbing Sacred Falls on the north shore of Oahu, before it was closed in 1999. Still use them as my after paddling shoes, but never while paddling. I wear Astral water shoes. Better support and foot protection.

These are the most comfortable I’ve found and the have toe protection. The Chaco and Teva sandals that I have cause my shins to ach.

I don’t like open sandals and gravel or rocks. The above get enough rocks in them as is.

@shiraz627 said:
I don’t like open toe sandals, to dangerous. For Sandals I’m a Keen guy.

Keens closed toe footwear aren’t sandals they are well-ventilated shoes. I like Keens too and still have pair but they aren’t wide enough for me and I can’t wear closed toes,

I ain’t afeared of open toes. Danger is my middle name. :wink: Seriously I hike, bike, work and play in my Chacos. I would get bloody feet wearing anything else, and that’s real danger. Yeah thay can be a pain in gravelly stuff.

@Rookie said:

@BrianSnat said:

I think Teva sandals are indestructible. I have a pair of the originals. Wore them climbing Sacred Falls on the north shore of Oahu, before it was closed in 1999. Still use them as my after paddling shoes, but never while paddling. I wear Astral water shoes. Better support and foot protection.

I wore out a pair of Tevas before I found Keens.

I NEED the toe support. I have to go across some oyster beds for my daily paddle.

That being said, I like the keens (or other with toe protection) for getting the kayak to the water.
Once in the yak, I change to an old pair of Mion’s (no longer avail) for ‘open’ comfort. It has heal support, I remove them once an hour (all ‘feet’ control - no opening of sprayskirt to access) for a changeup.

Not so much for my short, daily paddles, but ‘Happy Feet’ are important for those 12 hour paddles.