Need some advice picking out a boat. (PBW Rapidfire vs Kayaks)

Hey folks, so here’s the deal… I’ve been paddling A 33lbs 12ft Old Town Pack for a few years now, and while it’s a nice little boat. It’s quite slooow and not that great in windy conditions and open water.

So I’m looking at purchasing a boat, here are a few factors

-I prefer to paddle double blades
-I always paddle with my 15lbs Italian Greyhound
-I plan on paddling open water and calm-ish coastal water, rivers, and lakes. Looking for versatility here.
-I plan on doing overnight trips, I don’t take a lot of gear so basic hatches are fine for me.

So far I’ve done a good amount of research I’ve narrowed it down to these

-Placid Boatworks Rapidfire

This seems like a great choice but I’m afraid it won’t be a massive change from my OT Pack, and it’s the most expensive. (3k+) On the plus side, people say it’s really fast and my dog will have more room, though she prefers to lay on my lap or legs while I paddle. Also extremely lightweight. I’m not mister muscle so a lighter boat is a plus.

-Hurricane Sojourn 146

Another nice looking boat with a larger longer cockpit so my dog won’t be cramped (hopefully). Skeg for open water, least expensive ($1,700) though heavier at 47lbs

I’ve been looking at Eddyline kayaks as well and they are beautiful boats. However the cockpit is a little shorter…

What do you guys think? My heart is telling my go with the kayak but I’m afraid I’d get it and have it be too heavy to constantly use or not have enough room for my dog and I. I’m also pretty skinny though and so is she so it might be fine. The Rapidfire seems incredible but I’m worried it won’t be much different from my current boat and 3k isn’t just chump change for me. For the amount I’m willing to spend I want a fast boat that will blow me away. Also I’m from Massachusetts so acquiring any of these boats won’t be difficult for me.

I appreciate any help and welcome suggestions and ideas.

I assure you that there is a huge difference between the Pack and Rapidfire. Though, I can’t tell you that it will be worth the extra money for you.

@Yanoer said:
I assure you that there is a huge difference between the Pack and Rapidfire. Though, I can’t tell you that it will be worth the extra money for you.
That’s what I like to hear. it’s more like a deck less kayak right? I’d definitely get the lowest seat to make it paddle more like a kayak. Though I wonder if it’s seaworthy at all…

The RF does quite well on anything short of surfing swells and breaking six foot waves. I have had mine on Lake Superior all the way from Lake Superior Provincial Park to Rossport… Thats over 200 miles. Because its hull design is NOTHING like the Pack , waves are deflected down not up the sides of the hull
Its is my go to boat for Florida and the Gulf of Mexico. The picture on the Placid site is the team crossing Lake Champlain which is a hundred miles long and about 10 miles across.

It is a deckless kayak… The lack of a deck means get off the water in slightly less gnarly conditions than you would a decked kayak
I have also used it without trepidation ( though paying attention to the weather radio) going off Stonington Maine to the Merchant Isle and Isle Au Haut

Now as to cockpit… Because the kayak is lower to the water you will not paddle that in anything but dead calm without a spray skirt. The dog will be buried in the dark. The upside with the skirt is that you can paddle in any conditions you have the skills to handle.

With the higher hull the RF will be off the water first in any wind… There is a spray cover for it that is open in the middle but is a longer opening than three feet. The dog will be able to breathe with it on but that cover does not fit like a spray skirt with a tunnel around you. However Dan Cooke might have plans at Cooke Custom Sewing for a two piece RapidFire spray skirt that does fit around you yet on good days you can unroll part of it to provide an open cockpit.

There are some very interesting surf skis showing up that look like they would be quite stable. Some even have storage compartments. The plastic models are very reasonably priced.

Could his dog go with him on the surf ski?

People who want to take dogs along need a small dog, like a Jack Russell, a canoe, or a SOT with a tankwell.

The dog is only a 15 lb Italian greyhound, so not much of an added load, but still needs to be accounted for.

A friend takes her JR along in the rear hatch of her sea kayak, but only for short trips near shore.

@Yanoer said:

Sure if the dog sits on his lap, between his legs, or maybe at the front of the cockpit.

@magooch said:

@Yanoer said:

Sure if the dog sits on his lap, between his legs, or maybe at the front of the cockpit.

So much for knees together paddling : )

Also check out the Swift Keewaydin 16 Pack and the Swft Osprey Pack canoes. The Keewaydin would be better for camping and a dog.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, in no particular order.
I´ve paddled and camped in a Rapidfire and I gave up on it in favor of kayaks. I´ve logged thousands of miles in several different 13 to 16 foot kayaks and I have a ruff coat Jack Russell who loves to go with me.
Jack Russell and Italian Greyhound are about the same size, 15 pounds.
RapidFire is not a deckless kayak, it is an open canoe and much more subject to wind and waves than a kayak and not nearly as stable as most light touring kayaks. Adding a spray cover to a Rapidfire increases cost, increases weight and increases frustration factor messing with the cover, is a bear to recover from a capsize and possibly the spray cover increases entrapment danger in event of capsize.
Paddling a RapidFire with a double blade paddle and average paddler skills will not keep up with an equivalent length kayak especially in rougher water and wind. The Rapidfire looks and feels fast until you compare side by side and watch that impressive bow wake of the Rapid Fire compared to the imperceptible entry of the kayak bow.
The Rapidfire is a beautiful, graceful, expensive, very light weight and somewhat fragile canoe. Not anything like the Pack Canoe at all. Worlds of difference.

If you really want an expensive work of art for a paddling platform compare the Rapidfire specs and price to the Swift Saranac 15 kayak. http://www.swiftcanoe.com/saranac-15
The Saranac is slightly heavier and slightly more expensive, but a far better boat for your needs in my honest opinion.
The Saranac 15 has two sealed compartments with large hatches offering tons of storage room and easy access. The sealed compartments are excellent floatation. You can stay upright and paddle the kayak even with the cockpit full of water. The Rapidfire has very little floatation and impossible to stay upright and paddle when full of water.
Add a cockpit spray skirt to the Saranac and you can tackle much more demanding paddling conditions, even with the same skill level.
Strap a doggie bed to the front deck of the Saranac and your Italian Greyhound will be the king (or queen) of the water. Happy, comfortable and safe.

I remember a few years ago an article in one of the paddle magazines about a kayaker with a ruff coat Jack Russell who would hang on during kayak rolls. The dog would simply walk around the hull as the kayak rolled. Pretty impressive.
There are dozens of kayak models that are half the price or less that will be ideally suited to your needs.
If you want a terrific looking kayak for half the price of the Rapidfire or Saranac 15, with sealed compartments and fast, stable platform, consider the Delta 12.10 thermoformed
http://frontenac-outfitters.com/kayaks/kayaks/delta-12-10-kayak/
In my opinion the Delta 12.10 is the ideal kayak for your intended use.
Good luck and have fun on the water.

@Headwaters2 said:
These are just my thoughts and opinions, in no particular order.
I´ve paddled and camped in a Rapidfire and I gave up on it in favor of kayaks. I´ve logged thousands of miles in several different 13 to 16 foot kayaks and I have a ruff coat Jack Russell who loves to go with me.
Jack Russell and Italian Greyhound are about the same size, 15 pounds.
RapidFire is not a deckless kayak, it is an open canoe and much more subject to wind and waves than a kayak and not nearly as stable as most light touring kayaks. Adding a spray cover to a Rapidfire increases cost, increases weight and increases frustration factor messing with the cover, is a bear to recover from a capsize and possibly the spray cover increases entrapment danger in event of capsize.
Paddling a RapidFire with a double blade paddle and average paddler skills will not keep up with an equivalent length kayak especially in rougher water and wind. The Rapidfire looks and feels fast until you compare side by side and watch that impressive bow wake of the Rapid Fire compared to the imperceptible entry of the kayak bow.
The Rapidfire is a beautiful, graceful, expensive, very light weight and somewhat fragile canoe. Not anything like the Pack Canoe at all. Worlds of difference.

If you really want an expensive work of art for a paddling platform compare the Rapidfire specs and price to the Swift Saranac 15 kayak. http://www.swiftcanoe.com/saranac-15
The Saranac is slightly heavier and slightly more expensive, but a far better boat for your needs in my honest opinion.
The Saranac 15 has two sealed compartments with large hatches offering tons of storage room and easy access. The sealed compartments are excellent floatation. You can stay upright and paddle the kayak even with the cockpit full of water. The Rapidfire has very little floatation and impossible to stay upright and paddle when full of water.
Add a cockpit spray skirt to the Saranac and you can tackle much more demanding paddling conditions, even with the same skill level.
Strap a doggie bed to the front deck of the Saranac and your Italian Greyhound will be the king (or queen) of the water. Happy, comfortable and safe.

I remember a few years ago an article in one of the paddle magazines about a kayaker with a ruff coat Jack Russell who would hang on during kayak rolls. The dog would simply walk around the hull as the kayak rolled. Pretty impressive.
There are dozens of kayak models that are half the price or less that will be ideally suited to your needs.
If you want a terrific looking kayak for half the price of the Rapidfire or Saranac 15, with sealed compartments and fast, stable platform, consider the Delta 12.10 thermoformed
http://frontenac-outfitters.com/kayaks/kayaks/delta-12-10-kayak/
In my opinion the Delta 12.10 is the ideal kayak for your intended use.
Good luck and have fun on the water.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ive looked at the delta 12.10 and it looks to be a really nice boat and it’s more in my price range. I still haven’t made up my mind 100% but I’m shifting towards the kayak. Still open to suggestions and would love to hear from people who paddle with their dog(s).

take a look on the p.net classifieds, there´s a half price 12.10 there. Good luck.

On the p.net classifieds scroll down to about page 4 for the Delta 12.10 for half price, and no, I do not have a stake in the sale of this boat, it´s just a mighty fine kayak and if I didn´t already have one I´d buy it in a minute. It needs a good home and a good dog to love. Good luck.