Need some advice

Hey folks, so here’s the deal… I’ve been paddling A 33lbs 12ft Old Town Pack for a few years now, and while it’s a nice little boat. It’s quite slooow and not that great in windy conditions and open water.

So I’m looking at purchasing a boat, here are a few factors

-I prefer to paddle double blades
-I always paddle with my 15lbs Italian Greyhound
-I plan on paddling open water and calm-ish coastal water, rivers, and lakes. Looking for versatility here.
-I plan on doing overnight trips, I don’t take a lot of gear so basic hatches are fine for me.

So far I’ve done a good amount of research I’ve narrowed it down to these

-Placid Boatworks Rapidfire

This seems like a great choice but I’m afraid it won’t be a massive change from my OT Pack, and it’s the most expensive. (3k+) On the plus side, people say it’s really fast and my dog will have more room, though she prefers to lay on my lap or legs while I paddle. Also extremely lightweight. I’m not mister muscle so a lighter boat is a plus.

-Hurricane Sojourn 146

Another nice looking boat with a larger longer cockpit so my dog won’t be cramped (hopefully). Skeg for open water, least expensive ($1,700) though heavier at 47lbs

I’ve been looking at Eddyline kayaks as well and they are beautiful boats. However the cockpit is a little shorter…

What do you guys think? My heart is telling my go with the kayak but I’m afraid I’d get it and have it be too heavy to constantly use or not have enough room for my dog and I. I’m also pretty skinny though and so is she so it might be fine. The Rapidfire seems incredible but I’m worried it won’t be much different from my current boat and 3k isn’t just chump change for me. For the amount I’m willing to spend I want a fast boat that will blow me away. Also I’m from Massachusetts so acquiring any of these boats won’t be difficult for me.

I appreciate any help and welcome suggestions and ideas.

The Rapid Fire is MUCH faster than the Pack… I use my RF for multiday trips mostly on the ocean and Lake Superior for camping… To compare it to the Pack is apples vs cabbage It used to win its class in the 90 miler in the Adirondacks until Placid invented solely for that event the Shadow. Which is even narrower…And may not fit your dog
Suggestion go up to Lake Placid and stop by PBW for a test paddle of both… With your dog… It is not far from Mass. Their shop is on a large pond so you can get it up to speed.

The Old Town Pack and the Rapid Fire are as different as night and day.

There is this Flashfire on Craigslist (not mine and no affiliation with seller)
https://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/d/vermontville-solo-canoe/6902510830.html
You could also look at the Wenonah solo canoes.

I would go with the rapidfire. Comparing the rapidfire to the old town pack is like comparing a watermelon to an orange. You catch my drift?

And the Flashfire with symmetrical and a fair amount of rocker needs a skilled and dog less paddler… It will swap ends on you . if you don’t pay attention Its a FreeStyle comp boat for small paddlers. It is sporty… it can be used for tripping but with a double blade will yaw mercilessly… Best paddled with a single blade with good technique

Don’t think I’d be comfortable with the Hurricane Sojourn and dog. If you don’t like the Rapidfire, I would suggest you look at the Hurricane Santee series - particularly the 140t. The shorter Santee 126 models may work for you, but will be slower (but faster than that Pack) and lacking in cockpit space.

Is that dog really 15 lbs?

How about an Epic ski like the V-5, or the Stellar 14, or 16 foot skis. All of these boats are fast, light weight and the dog can sit on your lap. The Epic even comes in poly, so it’s fairly cheap.

Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth Ma has a Rapidfire, two Spitfires and the new smaller Rapidfire, the Oseetah. I paddled the Rapidfire yesterday and will probably buy one. I am a long time sea kayaker but have been mostly on flatwater lately. I have been using an Old Town Next which I really like but it is heavy.

@chipheb said:
Billington Sea Kayak in Plymouth Ma has a Rapidfire, two Spitfires and the new smaller Rapidfire, the Oseetah. I paddled the Rapidfire yesterday and will probably buy one. I am a long time sea kayaker but have been mostly on flatwater lately. I have been using an Old Town Next which I really like but it is heavy.

Thanks, now I have to look at the Placid website to check out the Oseetah.

Did you try the Shadow, also? That’s a Placid boat that I want to try, but I’m in IL, so I’ll probably never see one.

Edited to add that I just checked out the Oseetah on the Placid website and think that, at 165 lbs, I could really rock that boat. Now I want to test paddle it.

I tried a Rapidfire with a middle height seat once on the Illinois River and didn’t feel inspired. I suspect that I’d have a much different impression of the Oseetah.

@kayamedic said:
And the Flashfire with symmetrical and a fair amount of rocker needs a skilled and dog less paddler… It will swap ends on you . if you don’t pay attention Its a FreeStyle comp boat for small paddlers. It is sporty… it can be used for tripping but with a double blade will yaw mercilessly… Best paddled with a single blade with good technique

I don’t have much yaw issue when double-blading my Flashfire with a 225cm paddle. I do have foot braces in my Flashfire. I do get water in the boat from the high angle stroke. But, yaw exists, but I don’t consider it a big issue. I may be unique in this respect. I may not be discerning enough : )

OPMMV.