Need trailer for hauling kayaks

multiple 21 footers
Does anyone know if any of these trailers can haul 3 21’ boats. We travel 3 hours to races and need to take 2 cars when I drive a van and could haul everyone. Even if I could just put 1 on the trailer and the other 2 on the car would work. With gas so high we need to save some way. Thanks Chaz

Sure
Just have to extend the trailer tongue.

What trailer brand?

– Last Updated: Jun-04-08 3:47 PM EST –

Redmond can you tell me the brand of trailer or any of the specifics of where you got that trailer? It looks like the way to go for me. I am thinking 12" minimum tires on any trailer I get. Wouldn't take too much to make some kind of cradle to carry the kayak with that trailer and it looks relatively inexpensive. The commercial kayak trailers are so expensive and don't look any better made than that one for my money.

I have seen some foldable utility trailers that look like they have potential as well. Can anyone tell me the highway worthiness of these cheap utility trailers. I live in an area where most of the traveling would be by interstate. Are these trailers stable going say 65mph for long distances on the highway with the light frames and small tires? They just look rather light and with kayaks loaded I would think they would catch the crosswinds pretty well..

hy_tek
I used the Harbor Freight folding trailer. I’ve trailered kayaks with it both locally and on several thousand-mile trips. No problems. Get the one with the 12 inch wheels. I’ve also towed it at 75mph on the interstate. Understand that it’s pretty lightly loaded at those speeds so there is less stress on the tires.

Cheap trailer for longer boats?

– Last Updated: Jun-07-08 10:15 PM EST –

I am now considering a WS Tsunami 165 kayak after a demo. I want to get a trailer to haul 2 kayaks for now and possible modify it to haul 4 later. I see the cheap 4x8 deck folding trailers recommended here a lot. How do these manage when hauling a long kayak such as mine which is 16.5 feet long. The trailer is only about 11 feet overall length so the leaves a considerable over hang off the rear. I am sure about the legality of it. How to you people with longer yaks work it with this type of trailer? I think some brands you can get a tongue extender but I am not sure what or where to get that or even if they fit all trailers. Any pics of long kayaks on your short trailers??

These Harbor Freight trailers have an A-frame style. How does one extend the tongue on of those and how much longer would I need to extend it for a 16.5 foot yak? My trailer construction knowledge is pretty much nill.

Also use a harbor freight trailer
4 x 6 heavy duty 12" tires - for 16’ plus kayaks, we use a hitch extender (homemade by husband) but we bought one originally from Bass Pro Shops. Dont know the exact reason (maybe length and angle) but husband prefers the one he made and welded. We use a 2x4 treated wood frame and plywood base with little cutouts in the 2x4’s to rest our thule racks so we can use our malone j racks on it. Still being worked and remodified which is nice because you can get very creative with this trailer. Husband has the plywood off right now as he is welding it permanently together - he doesnt want the hassle of all the bolt checks (loosening in time) and is going to weld an additional crossbar on it also. (fort knox!) Check harbor freight online as well as at store level and get put on their mailing list for sale flyers as store prices/internet prices differ and one will match the other! So far we have taken 5 kayaks but will be able to take more after some more modifications. Decent trailer for the money plus multi use abilities.

Of course we got our original inspiration from REDMOND!!

Need Pics of extended hitch
I want to fab up a trailer such as yours but it seems I am unable to find any pics online of someone who has fabbed up a Harbor Freight trailer to carry the longer boats. Does anyone have any pics of one of these foldable trailers where they have extended the tongue or modified it to carry the longer boats. I am not sure how to modify the A frame hitch to a longer length. Please email me the pics or post them here if it is easier. Thank you so much.

Extending the tongue is really
just welding in a different piece of square tubing and attaching the hitch to it. Redmond extended his a couple of feet. I think a local trailer shop did the job for $100 or so.

The tongue on the 4x8 trailer probably need about a 2 or 2.5 foot extension to keep a 17 foot boat centered on the trailer. If the boats are going to ride in the center od the trailer, the shorter end should work. If they are going to be over the tire, a 3 foot extension would probably be better.

jim

hy, your asking the right questions.

– Last Updated: Jun-08-08 1:02 PM EST –

I went through the exact same litany of questions as you. Axle burnout, wheel size, dependability, tongue length all became an issue for me. I wanted solid, suspension, ability to take 18 footer, possibly use for other purposes, enough weight to reduce road bounce yet I can still pull out of garage myself to allow easy hitching, carry two boats mostly, but ability to carry more if necessary. You know the one I chose, and I love it.

You mentioned that mine is expensive, and yet everyone on here seems to be recommending far inferior trailers with regards to rigidity, long term usefulness, et cetera. When you get to paying a welder to extend the tongue, putting together a from-the-box Harbor Freight trailer, then mods to make it what you want, how much you talking. I bet all told you;d be within $200-300 bucks of the custom trailer I just bought, with 2000 lb axle, 15 inch wheels, premade kayak racks, et cetera. You'll get every penny of it back on resale someday.

Just my thoughts from having gone thru everything you are going thru about 8 months ago. But you are asking the right questions.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=683387

What exactly is your budget max, Hy-T?

Budget is what I make it…
I can appreciate your point of view on the trailer subject CD1. My budget is pretty much whatever I want to pay for it but I am a bargain hunter. If I can get by safely with a much cheaper solution then that is what I want to do. I can afford a $2000 rack but I don’t need a Cadillac trailer when a Yugo will get me in the water just as well. I am more about function than looks and wow factor. When I started looking at trailers I heard of people buying these $300 Harbor Freight trailers. With minor modifications they had a viable solution from what they posted here.

Today I went to a nearby town that has a Harbor Freight store. They had one lonely trailer folded up in a corner with no wheels and gathering dust. Although I was not able to unfold it I could get an idea of the construction or lack there of. Harbor Freight is an outlet store that sells nothing but Chinese made knockoffs of tools and equipment. I work construction and I am no stranger to well made equipment of all types. The trailer I saw looked to be constructed of folded light gauge sheet metal rather than angle iron or tube steel which is far stronger. I can only describe it’s construction as unsubstantial in my opinion. That being said I have no idea how it functions as a trailer but many people here swear by it so who am I to argue with people actually use them.

I went to a local Blain’s Farm and Fleet and they have trailers made by Teske Manufacuting.

http://www.teskemfg.com/tiltbed.html

Both the 4X6 SST and the 5X8 Angle trailers have possibilities. I was wondering what the rest of you thought of these trailers. The 4x6 is $399 with 12" tires and made solidly with a diamond mesh deck. I am not sure how much I would have to extend the tongue but I am sure it would be necessary.

Much to my chagrin the thing about buying a trailer for kayaks is the more questions you ask the more questions that seem to arise…

I am presently like a deer in the headlights not knowing which way to turn…lol

I hear you, hy.

– Last Updated: Jun-08-08 4:10 PM EST –

Email me at Pnet link above and I will try to snap some shots of my trailer to email you (I do not know hjow to resize for Pnet).

As someone in construction, I think you'll see what I saw in the trailer I got. I have no afficialitiopn with the Kentucky welder who makes them either.

But whatever you choose, I see you are putting great thought into it, and you came to the same conclusion I did so far: Harbor Freights are for the birds.

P.S. Where you at? No profile.

Rack and Roll

– Last Updated: Jun-08-08 4:21 PM EST –

If you don't have composite kayaks and you don't paddle in salt water, probably any trailer will work BUT if you like your boats (composite) and trailer and paddle in salt water, an aluminum trailer with a lot of suspension travel is a must.
I have had a Rack and Roll trailer for two years...I think!? It's hard to keep up with time as you get older.
My trailer still looks new and my kayaks don't have any stress cracks for trailer jarring.
I understand they now have a wider stance and a stiffer tongue. My trailer's tongue extension is about as stiff as a wet noodle with four boats on the trailer...very creepy.
I have never had any problems "getting a hold" of Rack and Roll and am sorry to hear others have.
Initial cost is brutal but I love my Rack and Roll and definitely give it and them (owners) an A+, I recommend the trailer if you are going to use it often and keep it a long time!
Good luck
Franklin

Chicago Rack and Roll
Yesterday my wife and I drove up to the Chicago Sea Kayaking Symposium at the 63rd street beach in Chicago. We got a chance to see several trailers that were parked empty in the lot. The rack and roll is sweet no doubt. I don’t think the quality was ever in question just the price. I also saw one of the Magneta Trailers which one of the dealers brought. It was huge but could carry like 9 kayaks. The trailer portion itself did not look like anything that substantial but the rack itself was huge.

My wife and I then walked around the lot to check out all the roof racks and combinations of people who brought their yaks for the classes. There were probably 100+ people in the water getting various levels of professional instruction in different groups.

The Symposium was a little disappointing since my wife and I were told there would be numerous dealers there with demo kayaks but only Wilderness Systems, Necky, and Valley had a handfull of yaks to look at.

The Harbor Freight Trailers
are actually pretty solid once you get them assembled and you can add a sheet of 4x8 plywood to stiffen them up even more if you want. Even 3 2x4s running from front to back make them pretty solid.

They are rated for 1175 lbs, so for hauling kayaks they are overkill really. The springs are stiffer than you need, but for plastic boats I have no worries about hurting them. If I had a fancy composite boat, I would still use the Harbor Freight, I would just add more padding to distribute the load over a larger area on the kayak.

As with most things, the more expensive models require less assembly and modifications, but the HFs are a solid platform to build on top of. And for some of us, the price was right – I had a hard time justifying a $1000 trailer to haul my $500 kayak.

jim

hy_tek, I sent u another email and pics

– Last Updated: Jun-08-08 9:35 PM EST –

Thanks for your email. G'luck.

P.S. If you get the McIntosh trailer--totally your own personal choice--we can tarp over it's uprights with ties to ground, inflatable mattress, bring wives and camp on it. Try that on a Rack and Roll. :-)

harbor freight price
On sale ours was $199 - add some wood and if you are or have a welder friend to firm it up a little - its a pretty decent trailer- for its price. I wouldn’t buy any smaller wheels than 12" - they offer 8" on some trailers which i would stay away from. Obviously an $800 steel trailer would be a better constructed trailer but it depends on what you need. Ours is rated 1175 lbs also (model 90154). Downfalls firstly is putting it together which is rather tedious. Once assembled the worst is over but it does rust - unlike aluminum. Our extender that husband made helps raise it up as the hitch sits too low for comfort on our van.

I don’t want to say its the be all end all trailer and it isn’t, but for its price and a few adjustments if handy, its not a bad trailer. Personally, if money is not an issue, I would buy either a trailex or rack and roll aluminum. I just wish they had a bottom sheet below the boats for protection. I think I’d prefer the rack and roll new 78" one which i had asked them over a year and a half ago if they were going to design - its wider to hold more boats. The best part besides aluminum is that you can use your favourite cradles. The trailex - you rest them on the bars and you must decide on which trailer with which bar distance that may not be a big deal but i do like our malones which support them nicely. These trailers look to be pretty good quality so i dont think you would need to mess around with them like you would with a harbor freight but my husband likes to putter with things so it wasnt an issue for him plus he liked the price a heck of a lot better!

Now one advantage of a basic trailer over the rack and roll - small one but still one - you can configure your trailer for 2 levels as you can see on redmonds pics (not sure if he is on this thread).

If I had my way, I would love to have a nice aluminum trailer but I havent found the perfect one yet for the $$ they cost. Maybe I could have 2 !!

The choice is yours!

Rack and Roll

– Last Updated: Jun-08-08 10:31 PM EST –

http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/images/trailer.jpg

I am a little startled that so many people mention the Rack and ROll when it has only one tier for kayaks, is not meant to take a long 16+foot kayak (I know, my friend has one--look at the pics, always stubby plastics on their website), even with the tongue extension, the bars are too close together for long kayaks, they are over $2000 before delivery charge, they are on glorified bicycle tires, the axle weight rating is poor, they cannot be used for any other function (eg lawn and garden stuff, etc.), they leave your kayak very low to the ground for mud and gravel, and they are made of aluminum which is very prone to stress fracture and metal fatigue--in fact, they recently (two months ago) recalled them all, well publicized on Pnet--and are having owners retrofit a steel plate to the aluminum tongue. And then, to top it all off, there was a thread on here a week ago with someone having real issues contacting Rack and Roll. No communication.

I think the trailer I bought is superb, but I am not saying to buy one... I am just saying, like Redmond and others in my past thread linked above, that buying a nice 5 x 7 utility trailer--beefier than HF put-togethers (funny, hy-tek, about one dusty one in the corner) and making it what you want thru a welder will be head and shoulders above anything like a Rack and Roll. And cheaper.

Just my thoughts from studying my neighbors Rack and Roll and deciding against it for many more reasons than just price.

Addendum: here is a good trailer:
http://www.nicholstrailers.com/Custom/canoe.htm

The construction looks good, and the build it right, even though I think all the cross members are extraneous and in the way (but needed for that many tiers).

The one I have--and hy-tek has photos--is like this, but with double uprights (and two tiers) no cross members, has 15 inch wheels (not 13 inch), and while this one has a cheaper plywood decking, the McIntosh trailer has 2x6x1 inch thick pressure treated deck.

Anyhow, as redmond and a couple other have well said to me--and I thank them for the advice--this type of trailer, properly constructed--is a winner.

Snow bear trailers
http://www.snowbear.com/page/Utility_and_Landscape_Style_Trailers

Home Depot sells these for about $700.It comes with an extendable tongue, the gates lay flat, and it has a treated wood deck.I think you could lay 2 kayaks in it and take off.

Forgive Me
If I sounded in my previous post like I was dissing Harbor Freight Trailers I really wasn’t. Nobody can tell you what trailer is right for you. Everyone has different needs. In my case if I am dropping over a grand on a trailer I want to be able to use it to haul stuff on demand as well. Not to just haul kayaks. I have been looking at various commercial utility trailers and every one must be modified to a certain extent in order to haul kayaks. The common problem with a light utility trailer is the tongues are too short for the longer kayaks over 16’. One thing of concern to me with the boat trailer type rack carriers is the high center of gravity and the low trailer weight. The weight of 4 kayaks is greater than the weight of the entire trailer. I would have a concern over rolling the trailer under the right wind and turning conditions with that high center of gravity.

Most commercial boat trailers under 2000# capacity I looked at to modify for kayaks use 12" tires. Not all tires are created equal and that is something I worry about with cheap trailers. Nothing like looking in the rear view mirror and seeing your tire treads go one way and the trailer loaded with kayaks go another at highway speeds.

The trailer that CD1 bought is top notch. It is in fact the sturdiest and most substantial trailer I have seen to date. Some things like 15" wheels may not have been necessary but they sure make it ride better and no worries on the highway with them. If I had a choice between a Rack and Roll or his custom trailer hands down the custom trailer wins. I hope he can get a pic posted here for you to look at or if he doesn’t mind I can post one for him.

Harbor Freight is not for me but then again it makes a difference if you are hauling $300 kayaks or $3000 kayaks on how much a good trailer is worth to you. Another issue is if you haul locally or extended distances. The cheap ones are probably fine locally but I want something substantial with some weight to it if I am doing 70 on the Interstate with $4000 worth of kayaks on the back.

Bottom line whatever works for your needs is a good trailer my friends…

Thats CD1’s trailer
CD1 check out that Nichols Trailer in that link above it looks strangely like the one you have with some minor variations. Very nice trailer as well.